cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A tire protection coatings

paulooch1958
Explorer
Explorer
I find that it's time to give the RV a good cleaning. I have a 2006 Winnebago Journey with 255/80R22.5 truck type tires. These run at high pressure and I understand that they can fail catastrophically.

I usually would put a product like Armourall on the tires to supposedly provide protection from cracking, etc, but have seen articles recently that say that silicone based products are actually BAD for tires.

So, what, if anything besides soap and water should I do to increase the life of these tires. They cost a bundle each and can be a very bad thing if they let go on the road.

thanks in advance.
Paul
18 REPLIES 18

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
I use Aerospace 303 regularly.

A former Country Coach fellow owner said he'd had good results with Sunblock. It is applied like a paint one time. He said it had worked well for him on a few sets of tires.

https://www.amazon.com/SunBlock-For-Tires-Tiresยฎ/dp/B0043MZHM2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1548259534&sr=8-2&keywords=tire+sunblock

I also 'exercise our tires' (Along with our coach!) on a 4-6 week schedule, getting everything back up to temperature. And maintain proper PSI based upon Four Corner weights.

Regular inspections for signs of damage from these harsh roadways we travel on.

Best to all, travel safe, have fun,
Smitty

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
Lancslad wrote:
If your 2006 Winnebago has original tires then its time to put them in the trash can and clean the NEW tires with soap and water.

For sure, check your tire dates. See https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/how-to-determine-the-age-of-your-tires for info about this.

If they are over 7 years old, I would strongly recommend that you replace them.

303 is a great product but will only delay damage by a small amount. Using covers for anytime you are sitting in one place for more than a week is probably the number 1 thing you can do
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

Lancslad
Explorer
Explorer
If your 2006 Winnebago has original tires then its time to put them in the trash can and clean the NEW tires with soap and water.
2011 FR Georgetown 337DS
2003 Dodge Dakota Towed

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
paulooch1958 wrote:
I find that it's time to give the RV a good cleaning. I have a 2006 Winnebago Journey with 255/80R22.5 truck type tires. These run at high pressure and I understand that they can fail catastrophically.

I usually would put a product like Armourall on the tires to supposedly provide protection from cracking, etc, but have seen articles recently that say that silicone based products are actually BAD for tires.

So, what, if anything besides soap and water should I do to increase the life of these tires. They cost a bundle each and can be a very bad thing if they let go on the road.

thanks in advance.

Paul

Main thing is for keeping them covered up, when at all possible. We don't bother for a few days stay, but do so for any length of time. Other than that, just keep them clean.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
Advise from our owner's manual, 2015 Tiffin open road, is use nothing but soap
and water for cleaning tires. Keep covered when parked for any length of time.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Did you ever notice how much non-ยข is marketed to RVers. We are sold things and told to do things that we never though about doing to our cars.
I for one just wash my tires, like I do to my cars.
If you want your tires to look like new, wet them and scrub them with Super Clean. Super Clean will roll the dirt out of the pores and make them look new, NOT dressed.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Michelin says don't use anything on them other than soap and water.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Soap and water to clean. Covers to protect from sun light. Nothing else is needed.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with washing tires, using 303, covering and driving to increase tire life.
I've also found out it helps all tires, not just Class A. ๐Ÿ™‚

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Though there are products that will make your tires LOOK better the best way to extend their life is to DRIVE the beast a bit from time to time. Like when camping season starts and occasionally during the season and so on till time to park for the winter. My tires went.. a bit longer than they should have (My new tires are.. well.. NEW).

Most of the Tire Coating products do more harm than good from what I am told. I do not use them.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Never used anything but car wash soap and water. I wear out the tread before the sidewalls as I don't drive on the sidewalls.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
With new tires on our Bay Star, I will be using 303 and tire covers whenever parked for more than a night or two. And, I don't count on the 303 to extend tire life and plan to replace tires around the 6 or 7 year mark as the rig is stored indoors when not on the road.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Only thing I know of to protect a tire is an actual cover. I use the 303 as a dressing when I feel like detailing the RV but I am under no illusion it will make my tires live longer. It is however the only dressing I know of that doesn't hurt the tire. I thought the petroleum based dressings were the ones not to use.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Soap and water, cover if you are parked for more than a few days.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?