cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tifton Georgia

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am planning a trip from the Tampa Bay area to Sevierville, TN next October. I would like to leave afterwork on a Friday afternoon and get up the road a bit. From my location it looks to be about 4 1/2 hours from Palmetto, Fl to Tifton, GA. This would only be a stopover for the night. Does anyone have any recommendations on a place to stay? It would be nice to have a pull through spot so I won't have to disconnect the toad and be close to I75.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)
22 REPLIES 22

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
WTP-GC wrote:

To the OP, I think Tifton is a little further away than you're expecting. Having made the trip to Palmetto from Gainesville many times without a trailer, I'd say it's roughly a 3 hour trip (in light traffic). Then another hour to Valdosta and a little more than an hour to Tifton. Sounds like a 6 hour trek to me ๐Ÿ˜‰

I have made the trip from Palmetto to Gainesville dozens of times (I went to the University of Florida). It's about 2 and 1/2 hours. Google maps says it's 4 and 1/2 hours to Tifton from Palmetto. I am figuring more like 5 hours or so. I will be leaving between noon and 1pm so I am hoping to get there by 6:30-7pm. Then I have another 6-7 hour drive the next day.

As far as getting to a RV park late, I can't tell you how many times I've gotten up in the morning and there was an RV next to me that wasn't there the night before. And I'm a light sleeper.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
So you are looking for a CG that you can come into in the dark after 10:00 PM. How rude and as a CG owner please go to WalMart as Its been a long day and Iโ€™m probably asleep as are the rest of the campers in the park. In October you do not need hookups that late in the day.

Really??
We stop at Twin Oaks (as others on here have mentioned) each year on the way to North Georgia in October. We travel from N Central FL and that place is about half way for us. We've never pulled in during daylight hours. Call ahead and tell them you'll be checking in late and they leave info on the board outside. Never been a problem.

Few years back, we stayed at a KOA in Savannah. Woke up one morning and there was a huge Class A right next to us that wasn't there when we went to bed. Didn't even notice them pulling in. They were gone before we finished breakfast.

To the OP, I think Tifton is a little further away than you're expecting. Having made the trip to Palmetto from Gainesville many times without a trailer, I'd say it's roughly a 3 hour trip (in light traffic). Then another hour to Valdosta and a little more than an hour to Tifton. Sounds like a 6 hour trek to me ๐Ÿ˜‰
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

quiltlady
Explorer
Explorer
We make the trip from Chattanooga, TN at least twice a year to north or central Florida and always plan a stop in South GA for overnight. We always make reservations and have stayed many times at Eagles Roost. Their sites are not well marked, so I wouldn't want to arrive after dark. Both the Tifton KOA and the I-75
(CG/parking lot) would be a good spot. I suspect unless you are able to leave before noon you will not get to Tifton before dark. OUR preference after a drive is a CG to relax in with at least water and electric hook ups.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are asking for way in the future, I'll go ahead and answer. At Exit 62 at Tifton, go right then the first right and you will find a Cracker Barrel restaurant and it has about 6 or 7 pull thru RV spaces which CB encourages you to use overnight.

If you can make it about 20 miles further up the highway, at Exit 82 at Ashburn, at the bottom of the ramp, go left, then take the first left, which is between the Zaxbys and the Pizza Hut, and go 500 feet or so to Carroll's Sausage and Country Store, turn left into it (building faces the interstate) if you drive to the front of the building and cross in front of it, you come to the RV park they operate, all pull thrus. Sign on the gate says "open 7 to 7". It is just before you get to the "worlds largest peanut" which is also facing the interstate.

If you cannot quite make Tifton, then at exit 39 at Adel is a walmart and outlet store shopping center right at the interstate. Exit and go left and take the first left after you clear the interchange. You might call first and see if it is OK for overnight, or stop in and ask.

ependydad wrote:
Check out I-75 RV Park in Tifton. It's *literally* next to an exit ramp and noise can be an issue - wasn't a problem for my wife, kids, and I but my mother-in-law was with us and she said she didn't sleep well.

No frills kind of place. Very simple. But, we got in/out with our 42' fifth wheel and 22' truck. We actually were too large for the space and offered to unhitch. The fellow working put a traffic cone behind us and said we were good to go.

Pretty cheap- under $30 for the night with a Good Sam discount, if I recall.

That would be exit 61, go left and then the first left after clearing the interchange. There is a second, but ratty looking RV park across the street from the I75 RV Park.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would chose Eagles Roost or Twin Oaks. We have stayed at both.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I75 RV Park Tifton Ga

Right off the freeway at exit 61. ZERO frills, but it's a place to stop overnight.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ivylog wrote:
So you are looking for a CG that you can come into in the dark after 10:00 PM. How rude and as a CG owner please go to WalMart as Its been a long day and Iโ€™m probably asleep as are the rest of the campers in the park. In October you do not need hookups that late in the day.

*PS: the WalMart is WEST a mile on the south side in Tiffin. In Perry itโ€™s East a short distance on the north side behind Sunnyโ€™s.

Not sure if this was tongue and cheek post but this is very funny. Where in my post did I say I would be coming into a park after 10pm? Oh the horror!

I plan on being destinated by 6:30 or 7pm. Please let me know what campground you own so I can avoid it! ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks to the other posters for the information.

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
Cant come in that late, but Reed Bingham State Park is a few miles south of Tifton, has some full hookup and some pull through sites. It is only a couple of miles off I75, but quiet and roomy like most GA state parks.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
What we have here is a lack of consideration.

It is ENTIRELY possible to enter, or leave, a campground almost un-noticed after dark.

Start with a proper muffler on your vehicle.
Don't go banging around outside.

Pull in, shut off the engine, put out only the slides that are necessary and then GO TO BED.....quietly.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

atomlinson
Explorer
Explorer
Eagles Roost campground is in Lake Park, about an hour south of Tifton. Very convenient right off of I-75, with pull-thru sites. Nice campground.
Andy
2012 Keystone Outback 280RS
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500HD 6.0

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
*PS: the WalMart is WEST a mile on the south side in Tiffin. In Perry itโ€™s East a short distance on the north side behind Sunnyโ€™s.

You are correct, it is West of the US 82 Interchange. I've only been there once while evacuating for Hurricane Matthew, but could have sworn it was east.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
WOW I'm been beat up,and called cheap by campground owners for using wal*marts for late night stop overs. The campground owners complained so much here in florida most cities have band overnight at wal*marts. You cant have it both ways.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
So you are looking for a CG that you can come into in the dark after 10:00 PM. How rude and as a CG owner please go to WalMart as Its been a long day and Iโ€™m probably asleep as are the rest of the campers in the park.

LOL, I've said this exact thing to the "ant-Walmart" posters in the past and it always gets ignored. We'll regularly pull into Walmart at midnight or later and do not want to intrude on other guests.

One more who will always follow this practice when it is even close to Dark.

If I am in the CG I went there so I could enjoy the Peace and Quiet, and get a good night's sleep - not to be awaken by someone who comes in LATE or LEAVES EARLY.

JMHO,

That's why when I posted the Map of the available sites I included Wal*Mart and noted it would be my Choice. .:)
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
So you are looking for a CG that you can come into in the dark after 10:00 PM. How rude and as a CG owner please go to WalMart as Its been a long day and Iโ€™m probably asleep as are the rest of the campers in the park.

LOL, I've said this exact thing to the "ant-Walmart" posters in the past and it always gets ignored. We'll regularly pull into Walmart at midnight or later and do not want to intrude on other guests.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page