cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing converter

Dream_Chaser_
Explorer
Explorer
The converter on our Class A has given up the ghost and is not putting out any voltage. It is in a very confined area and replacement is going to be a nightmare. Can I just disconnect it and install a new unit and wire it directly to my battery?
11 REPLIES 11

mmccray100
Explorer
Explorer
Someone has done it before and probably posted a You Tube video. That's how I found mine.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
I would remove it, coils are heavy.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If I didn't need the space or want to put the new one in the old one's place, I'd leave it in.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
If you ever thought of getting an inverter NOW id the time to get an inverter/charger/transfer switch ! These are made by several different companies.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
MrWizard wrote:
Is it part of your power panel
Or
Is it a stand alone unit

Disconnect the 120v to the charge section, leave power going to circuit breakers

Install new charger next to batteries

What you want, can be done
You have to be cognizant of everything involved

Even if it's part of the panel, like the old Magnetek's, it just takes disconnecting a few wires and it's out of the circuit.
I don't like leaving junk like that behind but there's no reason electrically, not to.

MrWizard
Is it part of your power panel
Or
Is it a stand alone unit

Disconnect the 120v to the charge section, leave power going to circuit breakers

Install new charger next to batteries

What you want, can be done
You have to be cognizant of everything involved
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, that will work fine. As you say, disconnect the 120 and 12V sides and just leave it there. Connect the new converter and wire it to your 12V fuse panel.
The circuit ends up being no different than what you had.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First.. Where is it. might be easier to dig it out than you think.
Second.. YES you can.. in fact unless it is shorted you might not even need to disconnect.

And finally..... Converters come in two flavors for this part.
ONE is an intergrated part of the power distribution panel THe other is stand alone.

ON Stand alone there will be 1,2 or 3 fuses. usually 30 amp.. they may be blown YOu may need to pull the beast to find 'em but 5.00 for fuses beats 230 for a new converter (Progressive Dynamics 9180 R)

In my case ther fuses were good.

on intergerated the fuse is usually easier to get to (on the fuse panel).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Make sure to avoid WFCO for the replacement unit.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
That should be fine. Be sure to disconnect it on the 120v side.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
So it right or not at all is my motto. Can you? Sure. Should you? Not really. Get the old converter make and model and go shopping online. Places like bestconverters.com probably lists either a direct replacement or an upgraded drop in.