cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

BC snow tire regulation

ipeltier
Explorer
Explorer
BC drivers--how stringent is the snow tire requirement for the Coquihala? We're leaving for California from Edmonton on this weekend, and just discovered the new tire regulations for BC. We can't get specialized tires on our truck (pulling a 5th wheel) before we leave. Any suggestions?
18 REPLIES 18

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
The better route at this time of the year, is to use the Trans Canada Highway, Hwy 1, as it goes to Hope as well,(and the Lower Mainland) With the Coq elevation at 4,400 feet, and Hope at about 200 feet, you have a lot of hill there, bur half that on that stretch of Hwy 1 (not sure of exact elevation). The Coq has problem in summer with overheated vehicles, and the steep, long runs down hill, sometime tax the braking of some vehicles. If you require stopping to visit some place off the Coq I would drive from Kamloops to Merrit through to Priceton. On the Hope Princeton there are some steep, high areas, and a steep hill going up out of Princeton and a long one not as steep getting close to Hope, make it not a really good option for winter driving, either. The No.1 would be my route to the coast. The road going through to the Pemberton and Whistler areas has a very steep hill constructed with a switch back and at least a 15 % grade. Not good. Even in summer the brakes take a beating going down that hill unless you have an exaust brake in a diesel, with a heavy load.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I carry chains for the truck and 5th wheel but only to say I have them if asked. If it snows in the passes, I'll just find an RV park and wait till the roads are cleared.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

sonuvabug
Explorer
Explorer
If you've ever watched the popular show "Highway Thru Hell", you'll understand why the authorities insist on enforcing the chain and tire laws on the Coq.
2007 Adventurer 90fws Truck Camper
2001 FORD F250 SuperCab; 8' box; 4x4, 7.3l diesel, rear Sumo Springs

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
There is no reason for taking the Coq, with its long hills and 4,400 foot elevation, when highway No.1 the TCH is lower and not so hilly. Time and time again we hear of troubles on that hwy, yes a short cut, but at what price? In winter, fall and spring we get ice and snow at times, in places there; in summer the heat gets to vehicles not ready for it, and it will be no fun for them, then! and what goes up must come down - and hope is only about 200 feet above sea level, so you've got 4,000 feet to come down if heading to the coast, and that run is almost all at once! Give your rig a break, don't make it do that unless you have to. and you don't.Take HWy 1, the trans Canada highway. And regarding the Connector that links the Cog into the Okanagan, it is higher yet, than the coq itself.

CptSydor
Explorer
Explorer
Drive safe. M+S while 'legal' are in my experience the bare minimum and don't compare to proper snow tires. Mountain passes are serious business. I tried to warn my parents (from eastern canada), but they insisted on trying the Kootenay pass during a snowfall and ended up having to turn a Uhaul around part way up.

Also, two of the 'major' summits on BC highways are part of my response area as a firefighter. I see many crashes. So be safe, if the weather isn't being cooperative, take a break.

ipeltier
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice, people. We just bought a set of MS Snowflake tires from Canadian Tire, so we're good to go. The issue was not the cost--it was the timing. With only two days left before departure day, we feared we would not be able to have the work done in time. No worries!

campinghut
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
campinghut wrote:
I would be worried about this line from the rules "Recreational vehicles such as fifth wheels and trailers should have either 3-peaked mountain snowflake or M+S tires on the drive axle of the primary vehicle and chains on board for the trailer tires to prevent slippage on banked curves" If I did not have snow tires or chains I would just stay in Alberta and not go through BC never mind the fuel prices ๐Ÿ™‚

enblethen wrote:
This is very similar to what you will run into in Washington and Oregon.

These rules and laws are NOT to be a PITA for you, but for your safety and the safety and convenience of others traveling the same roads.

I have tire chains for both the TV and 5er and they are in the vehicles all the time.
I would hesitate to head out on a trip when "Chains Required" signs are up, but weather is fickle, and if caught in "Chain Up" conditions I want to be ready.

Just so you do not think that I stay in Alberta to avoid the rules I carry chains for all tires, truck and trailer in the winter, and for one step further I have tires with the snowflake on them.
Tim And Bev
2018 Mobile Suites 38RSSA, 560w solar, 2800w inverter (3 previous Artic fox trailers, 1 Cedar Creek, 1 Heartland Cyclone. In the last 8 Years)
2022 F350 (Previous trucks 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020 all Ford F350's)

Flyboy320
Explorer
Explorer
Proper tires and cable chains for both vehicles will meet BC and state requirements...and they work.
Had proper tires and cable chains for my 40` DP and toad. Never had a problem. CYA

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
Driving in snow with a trailer is a bit of a balancing act, too slow and you will slide to the bottom of a banked turn. Too fast and over the top, you need the correct speed for the conditions.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

36guy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think its a wise thing to pull a trailer of any type thru the coq, in the winter, if you get caught in a storm like I did, even with the truck in 4X4 my trailer was deciding whee we were going. I won't do it again.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
I know personally more than a few RCMP. Their worst day is driving up and finding dead people.... they now have to contact the next of kin, as well they have to take it home in thier heads for the rest of thier lives.... all because someone didnโ€™t follow the law/ rules.
Again I say... tires are cheap.
You donโ€™t need โ€œ winter tiresโ€ all you require are Mud & Snow ( M/S) to be safe, and legal on B.C. Hwys for the type of vehicle in question. My 2017 GMC 3500 came equipped with M/S from the dealer..... there are not hard to find.
I would hate to think for the rest of my life, because I was to cheap ( because thatโ€™s what it really comes down to) to have the correct tires on my rig, and that I caused a crash that someone got hurt or worse KILLED...
Tires are cheap...
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
SideHillSoup I saw a similar situation near the old toll booth site on the Coq. Two young fellows with their car in the ditch, all season tires and no survival gear. They were going upcountry skiing and had never driven on snow. I gave them a ride to Hope so they could call a tow truck, no cell service at our location.
The police are quite strict about enforcing the regulations for good reason. They spend a lot of time dealing with wrecks and tranded travelers.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
It's not just the Coquihala, the new regs are province-wide on designated highways, most highways are designated.

Their website though seems to say that EITHER tires with the "snowflake symbol" OR "M + S" tires are acceptable. See below.

Clicky.

I run Winterguard's year around (3 snowflakes) down here in Michigan. Noisy but great winter traction and in summer rain too. I love them.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s not just the Couq, Hwy, itโ€™s 98% of BC fall under those tire rules. The only area Hwys that donโ€™t, are the lower mainland and parts of Vancouver island. Also the Couq has more RCMP patrolling that road than any other road Iโ€™ve seen in B.C., so better chance of them having a tire check point there than anywhere.
The snow tire or M/S tires regs are there for a reason, and this past spring they made the regs run until the end of March, because of spring snow storms.
What type of tires do you have on your truck, My new truck came with M/S tires from the dealership in 2017.
I have seen the RCMP turn people around without the correct tires on their vehicle. Two winters ago I saw one young guy from the lower mainland who somehow made it all the way to the west entrance of Kootenay Pass. His car was lowered and had the tires with little to no sidewalks... well his car got parked and towed. I asked the RCMP about what was going on when I got to the front of the line. He said the young mans car is unsafe to drive any further and is going to be towed to a yard and would not be released until he had proper tires for winter driving, or April 1st, which ever came first... he grinned...

The biggest thing to remember, if you have an accident and you donโ€™t have the correct tires on, your insurance may be null and void, and you could โ€œpossiblyโ€ be responsible for costs out of pocket etc...and god for bid someone gets hurt or worse.
All sorts of excuses to not follow the rules, tires are cheap.

Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks