Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Class C
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
randy1953

Wellington KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/19 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've read a lot about problematic roof leaks with Class C homes. Seems like they develop pretty easy with motion from travel. Thoughts?

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/19 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Delete

* This post was edited 01/20/19 06:55pm by DutchmenSport *

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/19 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

Was it Alfred Lloyd Tennyson that said, "Tis better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all."?

I've read the same thing many times. But my thoughts are, if you are truly interested in a CLASS C, it's better you go ahead and get one, even if it ends up leaking and you have some disappointments, than to never do it and always wonder what it would be like.

Beside, you might get lucky and get the ONE that never has a leak. They are out there too you know!

x2

Regular preventative maintenance (resealing, etc.) and regular inspection after a rain will keep any leaking to a minimum. If you want to park it and ignore it for the winter, you will have problems.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Lwiddis

Quartzsite AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/19 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It all about maintenance. Do it and you’ll be fine.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/19 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any RV will leak if it's not properly maintained. Eternabond and Dicor are your friends.

frankdamp

Anacortes

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/19 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a 26' Class C for a couple of seasons. It was something of an orphan. Ours was a Winnebago version, but we found out later that the model had been a Winnie for only about 9 months of its production life. They sold the design off to another manufacturer.

We bought it to "see if we liked RVing". We did, but that thing was a turkey, mainly because of its odd-ball layout and equipment. It was a 198-something with a carb equipped Ford 460. Enough anti-smog gear to get the space shuttle a street license and 5 mpg (average) at sea level.

On the plus side, we never had any problems with water ingress. It was a very solidly built rig, rectangular steel-tube body frame with aluminum skin. We managed to sell it through a local dealer's consignment plan and didn't lose too much from our original purchase price.

Subsequently, we bought a 32' Class A, which we used for four seasons before giving up the RV life.

Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/19 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

DutchmenSport wrote:

Was it Alfred Lloyd Tennyson that said, "Tis better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all."?

I've read the same thing many times. But my thoughts are, if you are truly interested in a CLASS C, it's better you go ahead and get one, even if it ends up leaking and you have some disappointments, than to never do it and always wonder what it would be like.

Beside, you might get lucky and get the ONE that never has a leak. They are out there too you know!

x2

Regular preventative maintenance (resealing, etc.) and regular inspection after a rain will keep any leaking to a minimum. If you want to park it and ignore it for the winter, you will have problems.
Absolutely true.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

rbrand

Victoria, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/19 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2007. So far no leaks. I check it frequently and cross my fingers a lot.

The less you plan the more options you have.

Currently with a 26' Forest River Class "C"

Ex Navy Diver
Ex Archaeologist
Ex Museologist
Actively retired

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/19 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First RV we bought was a used class C (10 years old), we used it for another 9 years and had NO leaks. 2nd RV was another class C, also bought used (10 years old), and we used that one for 14 years; had 1 or 2 minor leaks during that time that were addressed quickly and resulted in no damage. 3rd RV is a class A, bought used (at 10 years old...hmmm, anyone else seeing a pattern here?). Have had 2 leaks already (1 in front, 1 in back).

My point? ALL RVs (A, B, C, DP, TT, 5er, TC) can and likely will leak at some point in time. Keep up with maintenance and it's really a non-issue.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

Cobra21

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/19 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

First RV we bought was a used class C (10 years old), we used it for another 9 years and had NO leaks. 2nd RV was another class C, also bought used (10 years old), and we used that one for 14 years; had 1 or 2 minor leaks during that time that were addressed quickly and resulted in no damage. 3rd RV is a class A, bought used (at 10 years old...hmmm, anyone else seeing a pattern here?). Have had 2 leaks already (1 in front, 1 in back).

My point? ALL RVs (A, B, C, DP, TT, 5er, TC) can and likely will leak at some point in time. Keep up with maintenance and it's really a non-issue.

I do see the pattern, and it makes cents to me!
Brian

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.