cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel trailer storage question

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
I have a choice of storing my camper under trees (mix of pines and hardwoods) or out in the open away from trees. Which of these 2 options would be better for my camper and camper roof? These are my only 2 options. I'm not nimble enough to fight with a fabric covering and hard coverings like a shed is not an option. I live in Columbia, SC with hot humid summers and mild humid winters. We get snow about once every 3 or 4 years and it's gone after a day or two. The trailer is a 2016 Forest River Vibe 308bhs. Which of these 2 storage options would be better in my situation? Thanks.
29 REPLIES 29

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
I have a cover I built about 10 years ago. I built it like a lean to and the high end is under the eaves of my house. (Low side is about 13') (14'x24')
(6) 6x6x14. Metal roofing from Lowes. I had already bricked that part of my drive.
2x6s from Lowes ect...
Seems like I have about $1000 in it, plus sweat equity.

I'm in the process of buying another Canned Ham to park under it.
No more new campers for me.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
George3037 wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
George3037 wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
George3037 wrote:
I want to do a carport for my TT but cost is out of the budget (almost 6K for a 24'W x 36'L x 12'H). For this winter I bought a 12 mil 15'x30' HD tarp with grommets every 18" on each side. Covered the TT and hung 1 gallon jugs of water (1/2 full) and nylon rope on each side.
I'm still shopping for an RV carport at a better price.

Maybe shrink it up some. Mine is 14' wide by 35' long, by 12' high for $3000.00, and seriously it is worth EVERY penny. So much easier to keep clean, and the top just gets dusty, except for the birds

Terry, Send me a PM on the brand / make you have. I priced a carport the same size as yours and it was still 5K. I do want it certified and 12 ga. option. Thanks

Mine is not a store bought metal carport. It is completely stick built. It has 6x6 treated posts sitting on cement footers sunk 6 feet into the ground. It ain't going no where. It has real rafters holding up a metal roof. And Now, and now. wait for it. I had cement poured under it. But that was another 1K.

anyway. I would post pics if I knew how. I can do it on Facebook, but this site won't let me.

Thanks Terry, I don't do Facebook. I'll figure out how to shelter my TT this spring.

I could text it to you, but then I would need your phone number, and I'm pretty sure you don't want to give that to me. And as you say. You can figure it out. Call a local contractor, tell him you need a pole shed to cover your RV, and get an estimate. We all know stuff costs more up there than down here.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
George3037 wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
George3037 wrote:
I want to do a carport for my TT but cost is out of the budget (almost 6K for a 24'W x 36'L x 12'H). For this winter I bought a 12 mil 15'x30' HD tarp with grommets every 18" on each side. Covered the TT and hung 1 gallon jugs of water (1/2 full) and nylon rope on each side.

Maybe shrink it up some. Mine is 14' wide by 35' long, by 12' high for $3000.00, and seriously it is worth EVERY penny. So much easier to keep clean, and the top just gets dusty, except for the birds

Terry, Send me a PM on the brand / make you have. I priced a carport the same size as yours and it was still 5K. I do want it certified and 12 ga. option. Thanks

Mine is not a store bought metal carport. It is completely stick built. It has 6x6 treated posts sitting on cement footers sunk 6 feet into the ground. It ain't going no where. It has real rafters holding up a metal roof. And Now, and now. wait for it. I had cement poured under it. But that was another 1K.

anyway. I would post pics if I knew how. I can do it on Facebook, but this site won't let me.

Thanks Terry, I don't do Facebook. I'll figure out how to shelter my TT this spring.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
George3037 wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
George3037 wrote:

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not the OP but wish to thank all that replied to my questions.

I guess I'm just cheap, trying to get the best deal for the money. The last one I looked at for 4250 four posts ago looks like it will do the job. I have to wait a couple more months to get rid of the snow.

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
Six, or even ten thousand on a carport to store your rv under roof should just be viewed as an automatic part of owning an rv. When buying our current travel trailer the budget talks with my wife included the cost to get it stored under a roof. Best decision ever!

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
I live in souther Arizona and I can tell you, the sun will change a fiberglass trailer in one summer, and a wood and aluminium in two years. I spent $10K on an oversized trailer cover. I’m now set, and dont have to worry about the elements.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
George3037 wrote:

$5200 in your exact specs from Alans Factory Outlet, delivered and installed in New York. This is where I got mine from. I have 10' legs on mine and my Jayco fits under it just fine (center peak height is substantially taller than 10'). 10's legs make it $4800.

If you sacrificed 4' of width, the price drops dramatically... $3800 with 10' legs, $4200 with 12' legs.

Trust me, money well spent. Keeping sun, rain, snow, leaves, pine needles, etc off the roof is worth a couple grand. Keeping the trailer cleaner and the ground around it dry for loading/unloading is borderline priceless!

In reference to the higher cost, at least through Alans when they sell in a certain area (NY for example), they spec them to snow and wind load. With higher snow load they add additional bracing to support the roof and prevent it from trying to flatten out.

OP, to answer your question I would put it in the open and away from the mess of trees and pine needles. Your camper will stay substantially cleaner that way.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
badsix wrote:
Just this summer 18 wide, X36 long, X10 HIGH,12ga. one side and back finished. the other side is next to my shop. cost was 3500.00 installed. West Coast Metal Buildings
Jay D.

The same size here 18x36x10, with open sides, open gable ends, 12 ga, certified and 65 psf snow load w/ free delivery and install would be $4520. One side and back finished would be another $1200.
I'll have to keep shopping

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
Just this summer 18 wide, X36 long, X10 HIGH,12ga. one side and back finished. the other side is next to my shop. cost was 3500.00 installed. West Coast Metal Buildings
Jay D.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm. Possibly shipping. Labor rates in the area.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
For some reason these carports cost more in the N.E.
Maybe shipping, too far from the Mfg.

I brought up one carport site and saw a price of one is $3295. Making no changes I clicked purchase now and it asked for my zip code. Once entered, the price went up by $1000.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I did get "certified". Did not get 12g. Did get the upgraded snow load (of course that may be different from upstate NY to upstate SC). 🙂
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
My carport was $4500 for 40'x18'x13'legs (15.5' in middle). At this size, it was mandatory to get the hurricane option. Mine isn't 12g, but it is braced very nicely, with mobile home anchors. I did spend another $1k for the gravel and grading.

Bottom line, your price sounds a bit high to me?

I would never own an RV without a cover. If there were no other option, I'd buy much less RV, so that it was easier to stomach watching it be destroyed.

The price seems to go up significantly when you need it to be certified, 12Ga, and have a high sq ft snow load rating.