Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Smoky Mountain Ideas
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Smoky Mountain Ideas

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/19 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

The Blue Mountains do kind of merge into the Smokies, and both are beautiful. If you have time the Blue Ridge Parkway has some wonderful sights and views and hiking. (Do check the tunnel locations and clearances beforehand; some are rather on the low side at the fog line.)

I found the Cade's Cove loop road very interesting. I would not recommend taking the RV around it, based on my experience doing that; while it's possible, it's tight and there are plenty of relatively low-hanging branches and people parking along the road can make it even more tight. The area is scenic and the historical bits intriguing.

Dollywood is above-average for amusement parks, and offers a good many things besides just rides and fairground games. Most of the rest of Pigeon Forge is...well, touristy in the worst sense. It'd be exciting as all get out if you're about a 4th grade boy, I think.

I haven't stayed there yet, but the views from Mama Gertie's Campground look absolutely fabulous from the pictures I've seen.

Truth is the Smokys are a small section of the Blue Ridge Section of the Appalachian Mountain chain. In the summer. The Blue Ridge Mountains are MUCH cooler than the Smoky Mts. Which is why we camp more on the Blue Ridge. The temps in the Smokys are just as hot as it is where we live, and I go UP to find cooler air. In the summer, we have the 3000' rule. Never camp below 3000'. Don't seem to work in the Smokys

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/19 05:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Specifics on what you are looking for and your interests would be helpful.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/19 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IB853347201 wrote:

Great Smokey's?
Must see's on my list would be
- Gatlinburg
- Great Smokey's National Park including Clingman Dome, Chimney Top, etc
- Biltmore Estate, Ashville
- Chimney Top east of Ashville
- Pigeon Forge, check out the dinner shows

X2 on the above..

Was just at Gatlinburg last August... Stayed at River Plantation RV Resort.

Clingmans dome is a great hike on paved surface... although it is a good walk..
We really liked Cades Cove, great sights there..
Just the drive through the park couls take all day, its a nice place to stop at each pull off and take in the beauty...

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Farmboy666

Pisgah Forest, NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/19 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IB853347201 wrote:

Great Smokey's?
Must see's on my list would be
- Gatlinburg
- Great Smokey's National Park including Clingman Dome, Chimney Top, etc
- Biltmore Estate, Ashville
- Chimney Top east of Ashville
- Pigeon Forge, check out the dinner shows

I think you mean Chimney Rock, Gatlinburg is T shirt shops and tourist junk shops with a few exceptions and traffic is ridiculous.

djsamuel

Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/19 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're looking for a peaceful area then I would hit Townsend, TN as your base. Quiet little town. We enjoy staying at Big Meadow Family Campground. The Little Arrow Outdoor resort looks really good and the KOA doesn't look bad. Townsend is right at the entrance to the National Park, near the Cades Cove area. Lots of great hiking trails around there such as Abrams Falls and Rich Mountain Loop. Nice visitor center as well. Also convenient to the rest of the park. Heading to the North Carolina side is a beautiful drive and brings you past Clingman's Dome, the highest point in the park.

Townsend is an easy drive the Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg if you're looking for some of that as well.

Picture of Our Trailer

Camplite 21BHS

juice0000

United States

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/19 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is such a variety of things to do, it's hard to recommend anything without knowing your likes/dislikes.
I live in the area, and please remember just because your gps wants to take you on a back road doesn't mean you should...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Smoky Mountain Ideas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS