cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a 2nd battery

jodiesel2
Explorer
Explorer
While dry camping in chilly weather it became apparent that I needed a second battery. I purchased an identical battery to the existing. I'll be routing large diameter cables to connect the 2 together via the posts. These units have both automotive posts and studs. All of the trailers connections are on the studs. My question is, should I split the trailer's connectors between the two batteries or keep them all connected to one battery?

Thanks
2019 Eclipse Attitude 28IBG
12 REPLIES 12

dedmiston
bighog01 wrote:
You guys are correct. You know what I meant:S

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

bighog01
Explorer
Explorer
You guys are correct. You know what I meant:S

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
bighog01 wrote:
2 New 6 volt batteries ran parallel is the way to go.

I think you mean serial, not parallel. If you connect them parallel, you'll just have one long-running 6v system instead of 12v.

When going to the 6 volters, you must wire pairs of them in (series) to produce the needed 12 volts.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

dedmiston
bighog01 wrote:

I think you mean serial, not parallel. If you connect them parallel, you'll just have one long-running 6v system instead of 12v.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
bighog01 wrote:

You have to run them in series to get 12v.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
2 6V's will solve your heater problem overnight.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Great info

http://marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

bighog01
Explorer
Explorer

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
Hook the batteries together in parallel and run everything form that. I would start with 2 new deep cycles.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:
You should split the trailer's connectors to make them draw more evenly. Also, if your current battery is more than a year old, I highly recommend that you change both of them, and if you have space, buy a real deep cycle battery or batteries rather than another RV battery.

Everything I've read says no. Connect the two in parallel, then the ground from one goes to the trailer ground and the other battery positive goes to the trailer "load" I've heard it referred to as "balanced" that way. Also if you're first battery is very old, or has been mistreated you may not get as much out of the added one as you'd like. And like twodownzero said, buy true deep cycle batteries or two 6 volt golf cart batteries.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Are your units true deep cycle batteries?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
You should split the trailer's connectors to make them draw more evenly. Also, if your current battery is more than a year old, I highly recommend that you change both of them, and if you have space, buy a real deep cycle battery or batteries rather than another RV battery.