Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Early Spring Trip to Olympic NP
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Early Spring Trip to Olympic NP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
ORbiker

Springfield, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/19 10:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Come on up to the Oregon Coast now. It's rainy sometimes. The campsite and RV Parks are way less crowded now.
We are headed to Neskowin RV Resort Friday (member park) with the Momentum.

Through the winter, you have to take the bad with the good. Sometimes it's blowing 50+ MPH. Sometimes it's calm.

I (2-10-05) bought a 2002 F350 CC SWD PSD and a new 2003 Citation 10'8. I have been a tent camper all my life. I wanted more comfort while camping and CraterLake Ski Patrol.
It's time for more space. I purchased a 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/19 02:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Life long WA resident. If you want the BEST possible viewing time for any or the WA sites I HIGHLY advise going in August.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/19 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks again for the inputs.

Since we are set for April through May, would appreciate info on what to expect and what to avoid.

From what we've experienced and where we lived, 50 mph winds are something we can handle (and learned lessons too that when lights are flashing to say, that high profile vehicles should get out and take cover, we should all heed them.

ORbiker

Springfield, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/19 09:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What type of RV Sam? Length?

The Oregon State Parks are nice, but not for bigger rigs.

frankdamp

Anacortes

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/19 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sam:

Are you planning to do the trip northwards through California and Oregon to get to Washington? If so, I'd suggest going over to the coast after crossing into Oregon. Highway 101 runs very close to the beaches all the way up to the WA border. When we had our RV, we went south on Highway 101 on the west side of the Cascades. I was a bit surprised to find that it runs N-S a few miles inland. There are short dead end roads at frequent intervals down to the beaches.

Across the northern coast and the eastern side of the Cascades, it's closer to the beaches. In April, Hurricane Ridge might still be inaccessible for an RV.

You might want to consider going back to the "mainland" on the WA-State ferry from Port Townsend to Keystone (the Ferry Service says it goes to Coupeville, but that's 8 miles from the terminal). That ferry route actually crosses the Strait of Juan de Fuca (almost open ocean). It's a fairly short hop from the Keystone ferry terminal, north on Whidbey Island and across the Deception Pass bridge to Anacortes, then SR-20 to I-5.

Wonderful country and great sights. We've lived in Anacortes since I retired early from Boeing 20 years ago.

Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/19 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Thanks again for the inputs.

Since we are set for April through May, would appreciate info on what to expect and what to avoid.

From what we've experienced and where we lived, 50 mph winds are something we can handle (and learned lessons too that when lights are flashing to say, that high profile vehicles should get out and take cover, we should all heed them.

If you want to actually see the Mountains and other Beautiful attractions change your time in WA. I can guarantee you with a high percentage of accuracy you will be missing the best WA has to offer.

Life long resident! Watched more fireworks shows behind the wipers than not!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/19 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"If so, I'd suggest going over to the coast after crossing into Oregon. Highway 101 runs very close to the beaches all the way up to the WA border"

That time of year sure it's a nice ride BUT visibility will most likely be VERY poor!

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/19 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ORbiker wrote:

What type of RV Sam? Length?

The Oregon State Parks are nice, but not for bigger rigs.

It's 21' and fortuitously found out it's the best size rig into those tight national and state parks.

Thanks,

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/19 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

frankdamp wrote:

Sam:

Are you planning to do the trip northwards through California and Oregon to get to Washington? If so, I'd suggest going over to the coast after crossing into Oregon. Highway 101 runs very close to the beaches all the way up to the WA border. When we had our RV, we went south on Highway 101 on the west side of the Cascades. I was a bit surprised to find that it runs N-S a few miles inland. There are short dead end roads at frequent intervals down to the beaches.

Across the northern coast and the eastern side of the Cascades, it's closer to the beaches. In April, Hurricane Ridge might still be inaccessible for an RV.

You might want to consider going back to the "mainland" on the WA-State ferry from Port Townsend to Keystone (the Ferry Service says it goes to Coupeville, but that's 8 miles from the terminal). That ferry route actually crosses the Strait of Juan de Fuca (almost open ocean). It's a fairly short hop from the Keystone ferry terminal, north on Whidbey Island and across the Deception Pass bridge to Anacortes, then SR-20 to I-5.

Wonderful country and great sights. We've lived in Anacortes since I retired early from Boeing 20 years ago.

Yes, northward and hugging the shoreline from Redwood National Park to Olympic.

I love the view as we've already done the PCH, I-1 to Fort Bragg.

Also love the seafood and the she foods.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/19 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"If so, I'd suggest going over to the coast after crossing into Oregon. Highway 101 runs very close to the beaches all the way up to the WA border"

That time of year sure it's a nice ride BUT visibility will most likely be VERY poor!

Thanks. Indeed, the view from the shore is on top of our list must-see list and wouldn't want to miss it. Lived for sometime in the CA Bay Area/SFO and familiar with the persistent fog.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Early Spring Trip to Olympic NP
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.