Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Blue Ridge Parkway
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Farmboy666

Pisgah Forest, NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/19 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live 15 min off BRP in Brevard NC. Riding from one end to the other can be a pretty boring ride at times. There are some great sites but a lot of nothing in between. Lots of overlooks but after a day of riding most look the same. Little Switzerland is a good stop, Lunch, views, small shops.
Some small towns just off parkway. Cherokee is a waste of time. Maggie valley has Wheels through Time Bike museum. Waynesville is a good lunch spot. Asheville is good for anything, Blowing Rock another nice town. Google campgrounds near these.

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/19 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Meadows of Dan used to have a very nice campground, but havenit been there in a number f years, so maybe someone else knows more. And the Winery is near, for a really good dinner experience.

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and a grouchy, old, tiny dog

Ozlander

Rose Hill, Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/19 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2chiefsRus wrote:

What state(s) are these in? That's part of my difficulty in doing my research - I'm having to check Tennessee, North Carolina and Virginia. Thank you for your reply.

Gee, life is tough. I found all of those in about 15 seconds using Google.

Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

Dennis Henderson

Crystal River, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/19 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Farmboy666 wrote:

I live 15 min off BRP in Brevard NC. Riding from one end to the other can be a pretty boring ride at times. There are some great sites but a lot of nothing in between. Lots of overlooks but after a day of riding most look the same.

Much as I love the BRP, western NC and western VA, you are right! We lived for 3 seasons on the BRP at Crabtree Falls (Meadows) near Little Switzerland and enjoyed countless drives on the entire parkway. But most of the drive is mind-numbing with nothing to see because so many of the overlooks are completely grown over blocking all views.

If one was very limited for time, I would recommend the section in NC from Asheville to Cherokee.

The entire BRP is a treasure, but it can be too much of the same after awhile.

Enjoy!

Dennis Henderson

Crystal River, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/19 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2chiefsRus wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

2chiefsRus wrote:

I'm looking for a campground close to the Blue Ridge Parkway for our 40 foot class A motorhome around the middle of May for a week to 10 days. The parkway is over 450 miles long. Don't really want to be too far off the beaten path. We want to ride the parkway end to end on our Harley trike. We don't really care whether we are in the middle, south or north end. Planning to spend a couple nights away from the motorhome so we don't need a place with a lot of amenities but would like somewhere safe with 50 amp and water.

Does anyone have a place they would recommend?

Try Raccoone Holler near Glendale springs. Call first. Could also try Honey Bear CG in Boone, Grandfather Mountain Cg in Boone, and Flintlock CG in Boone. Not sure about Bear Den. Could call. It is near Little Switzerland.
What state(s) are these in? That's part of my difficulty in doing my research - I'm having to check Tennessee, North Carolina and Virginia. Thank you for your reply.

These are all in North Carolina. Bear Den uses a Spruce Pine address.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/19 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2chiefsRus wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

2chiefsRus wrote:

I'm looking for a campground close to the Blue Ridge Parkway for our 40 foot class A motorhome around the middle of May for a week to 10 days. The parkway is over 450 miles long. Don't really want to be too far off the beaten path. We want to ride the parkway end to end on our Harley trike. We don't really care whether we are in the middle, south or north end. Planning to spend a couple nights away from the motorhome so we don't need a place with a lot of amenities but would like somewhere safe with 50 amp and water.

Does anyone have a place they would recommend?

Try Raccoone Holler near Glendale springs. Call first. Could also try Honey Bear CG in Boone, Grandfather Mountain Cg in Boone, and Flintlock CG in Boone. Not sure about Bear Den. Could call. It is near Little Switzerland.

Truth is. the Blue Ridge Parkway does not venture into Tenn. It only runs thru NC, and VA. As most of the mentioned CG are near Boone. Boone is in NC. Actually all the CGs I mentioned are in NC.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/19 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dennis Henderson wrote:

Farmboy666 wrote:

If one was very limited for time, I would recommend the section in NC from Asheville to Cherokee.

Just doing that part of the Parkway will make you miss most of the sights. Like Grandfather mountain, MT. Mitchell, Linville Falls, The Linville Viaduct. The Lump overlook, Cone Manson, Blowing Rock, Boone, Price Park. Little Switzerland, Sparta. Well you get the idea.

welove2drive

Southwestern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/19 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The blue ridge parkway website has mile by mile and tunnel heights, etc. It is very informative. We drove through a couple of the federal(?)campgrounds along the southern portion and our trailer (30') was to big for most sites so we stayed at private rv parks.

Dave and Marcia
02 Ford F350SD 4X4 SRW Longbed, 7.3PSD Auto
07 Flagstaff 829RGSS

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/19 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bukhrn wrote:

bucky wrote:

The KOA in Luray VA is in a beautiful setting. Worth a look.
Just to split hairs, Luray is not on (or near) the BRP, it's off Skyline Dr.,
Approx. 85 mi from the North entrance to the Blue Ridge Parkway at I-64.

Good catch, sorry. The Skyline Drive is only the section thru the Shenandoah National Park in VA.

2005 Cummins 2500 2WD LB quad cab pulling a 2007 Jayco 345bhs

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/19 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

bukhrn wrote:

bucky wrote:

The KOA in Luray VA is in a beautiful setting. Worth a look.
Just to split hairs, Luray is not on (or near) the BRP, it's off Skyline Dr.,
Approx. 85 mi from the North entrance to the Blue Ridge Parkway at I-64.

Good catch, sorry. The Skyline Drive is only the section thru the Shenandoah National Park in VA.
True, but if you want to do the entire length of BRP, doing Skyline Dr. is just another 105 mi., with better views from the overlooks, at least better than the Northern part of BRP, many of the Northern overlooks on BRP have grown up so much that you pull into the turnout & look at trees.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS