Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Blue Ridge Parkway
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
huachuca

Tarboro, NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/31/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/22/19 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Less than an hour's drive from the southern end of the BRP, the Cherohala Skyway runs from Robbinsville, NC to Tellico Plains, TN and the scenery is, in our opinion, just as good as that on the Parkway. Combine that 40 miles with the 10 mile Tail of the Dragon for a great day of riding the trike. On the eastern end of the Skyway, Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest is a nice stop with a short hike to the 'big trees'. In TN, take a side trip to Bald River Falls (visible from the road).

Cherohala Skyway

Tail of the Dragon

Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest

Bald River Falls

Farmboy666

Pisgah Forest, NC

Senior Member

Joined: 07/01/2017

View Profile



Posted: 01/22/19 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

huachuca wrote:

Less than an hour's drive from the southern end of the BRP, the Cherohala Skyway runs from Robbinsville, NC to Tellico Plains, TN and the scenery is, in our opinion, just as good as that on the Parkway. Combine that 40 miles with the 10 mile Tail of the Dragon for a great day of riding the trike. On the eastern end of the Skyway, Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest is a nice stop with a short hike to the 'big trees'. In TN, take a side trip to Bald River Falls (visible from the road).

Cherohala Skyway

Tail of the Dragon

Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest

Bald River Falls

Stay as far away as possible from Tale of the Dragon. It's a nightmare, plenty of better roads for riding.

einy

Madison WI

New Member

Joined: 03/03/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/22/19 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

x3 on mama gerties

Loved or stay

[image]

sgfrye

north carolina

Senior Member

Joined: 06/27/2017

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/22/19 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

einy wrote:

x3 on mama gerties

Loved or stay

[image]


pretty sure this was the same site we had last summer.... huge thumbs up. steep climb to the top but campground roads are paved and can handle big rigs

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

Senior Member

Joined: 09/08/2004

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 01/22/19 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Original poster here - thanks for all the replies. Will take a look at all of them. We have done portions of the Blue Ridge Parkway already. Have also ridden the Tail of the Dragon and some other routes near Hendersonville, NC and the Chimney Rock area. Loved Mount Mitchell. That is why we are looking at going back and doing more of the parkway.

Typically when I am looking for a campground it is within about a 50 mile area. This trip is a little different just due to the overall length of the area we want to see and since we want to see it all, it is a much larger area to search. Also throw in that we will be leaving the coach for a couple nights, you can see why I want to be sure that we pick a good safe place that is still convenient. Thanks again for your suggestions.


Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime since October 2007
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

huachuca

Tarboro, NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/31/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/22/19 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Farmboy666 wrote:

Stay as far away as possible from Tale of the Dragon. It's a nightmare, plenty of better roads for riding.


I guess we all have our own definition of 'better'.[emoticon]

One camping possibility I overlooked which may be of interest is Lake Powhatan. Convenient access to the BRP near Asheville and it does have some full hookup sites.

Farmboy666

Pisgah Forest, NC

Senior Member

Joined: 07/01/2017

View Profile



Posted: 01/22/19 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

huachuca wrote:

Farmboy666 wrote:

Stay as far away as possible from Tale of the Dragon. It's a nightmare, plenty of better roads for riding.


I guess we all have our own definition of 'better'.[emoticon]

One camping possibility I overlooked which may be of interest is Lake Powhatan. Convenient access to the BRP near Asheville and it does have some full hookup sites.

My definition of 'better' would be scenic and more interesting roads that have less people and less traffic doing stupid things like trying to get a selfie on the famous Tale of the Dragon that sometimes get others killed which is based on 35 yrs of riding in western NC. Search the Youtube videos if you need conformation. Better choices, Hwy 209 to Hotsprings, Hwy 226A to Spruce Pine, Hwy 80 Marion to Micaville to name a few.

dedmiston

Valencia

Moderator

Joined: 01/26/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 01/22/19 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Farmboy666 wrote:

huachuca wrote:

Farmboy666 wrote:

Stay as far away as possible from Tale of the Dragon. It's a nightmare, plenty of better roads for riding.


I guess we all have our own definition of 'better'.[emoticon]

One camping possibility I overlooked which may be of interest is Lake Powhatan. Convenient access to the BRP near Asheville and it does have some full hookup sites.

My definition of 'better' would be scenic and more interesting roads that have less people and less traffic doing stupid things like trying to get a selfie on the famous Tale of the Dragon that sometimes get others killed which is based on 35 yrs of riding in western NC. Search the Youtube videos if you need conformation. Better choices, Hwy 209 to Hotsprings, Hwy 226A to Spruce Pine, Hwy 80 Marion to Micaville to name a few.


Tail of the Dragon

[emoticon]


2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230



Farmboy666

Pisgah Forest, NC

Senior Member

Joined: 07/01/2017

View Profile



Posted: 01/22/19 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

Farmboy666 wrote:

huachuca wrote:

Farmboy666 wrote:

Stay as far away as possible from Tale of the Dragon. It's a nightmare, plenty of better roads for riding.


I guess we all have our own definition of 'better'.[emoticon]

One camping possibility I overlooked which may be of interest is Lake Powhatan. Convenient access to the BRP near Asheville and it does have some full hookup sites.

My definition of 'better' would be scenic and more interesting roads that have less people and less traffic doing stupid things like trying to get a selfie on the famous Tale of the Dragon that sometimes get others killed which is based on 35 yrs of riding in western NC. Search the Youtube videos if you need conformation. Better choices, Hwy 209 to Hotsprings, Hwy 226A to Spruce Pine, Hwy 80 Marion to Micaville to name a few.


Tail of the Dragon

[emoticon]

Sorry I thought it was a story about a dragon

huachuca

Tarboro, NC

Senior Member

Joined: 10/31/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/23/19 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Farmboy666 wrote:

........... Better choices, Hwy 209 to Hotsprings, Hwy 226A to Spruce Pine, Hwy 80 Marion to Micaville to name a few.


Thanks for the recommendations - I'll add Hwy 209 to my list; Have driven the other two and totally agree on their scenic value and the difference in traffic, drivers and attitudes when compared to The Dragon. Still, its a lot of fun in a 2.0L turbo Solstice even when staying in my lane and around the speed limit. Too busy watching the road to check out the scenery.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS