Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Blue Ridge Parkway
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/19 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm looking for a campground close to the Blue Ridge Parkway for our 40 foot class A motorhome around the middle of May for a week to 10 days. The parkway is over 450 miles long. Don't really want to be too far off the beaten path. We want to ride the parkway end to end on our Harley trike. We don't really care whether we are in the middle, south or north end. Planning to spend a couple nights away from the motorhome so we don't need a place with a lot of amenities but would like somewhere safe with 50 amp and water.

Does anyone have a place they would recommend?

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/19 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2chiefsRus wrote:

I'm looking for a campground close to the Blue Ridge Parkway for our 40 foot class A motorhome around the middle of May for a week to 10 days. The parkway is over 450 miles long. Don't really want to be too far off the beaten path. We want to ride the parkway end to end on our Harley trike. We don't really care whether we are in the middle, south or north end. Planning to spend a couple nights away from the motorhome so we don't need a place with a lot of amenities but would like somewhere safe with 50 amp and water.

Try Raccoone Holler near Glendale springs. Call first. Could also try Honey Bear CG in Boone, Grandfather Mountain Cg in Boone, and Flintlock CG in Boone. Not sure about Bear Den. Could call. It is near Little Switzerland.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/19 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

2chiefsRus wrote:

Try Raccoone Holler near Glendale springs. Call first. Could also try Honey Bear CG in Boone, Grandfather Mountain Cg in Boone, and Flintlock CG in Boone. Not sure about Bear Den. Could call. It is near Little Switzerland.
What state(s) are these in? That's part of my difficulty in doing my research - I'm having to check Tennessee, North Carolina and Virginia. Thank you for your reply.

pinesman

virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/19 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynchburg/Blue Ridge Parkway KOA in Virginia is just about 2 miles off the parkway on Rt. 130. It is pretty nice with full hookups available. It is near Otter Creek on the parkway

welove2drive

Southwestern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/19 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed at Mama Gerties Hideaway Campground in Asheville, NC. It is a very nice RV park. We don't usually stay at RV parks but we really enjoyed staying at this one.

Dave and Marcia
02 Ford F350SD 4X4 SRW Longbed, 7.3PSD Auto
07 Flagstaff 829RGSS

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/19 05:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The KOA in Luray VA is in a beautiful setting. Worth a look.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/19 05:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed at the Fancy Gap KOA. It is right off the parkway and is a very nice campground. Perfect for day trips north or south.

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben
2004 Roadtrek 170 for quick getaways
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub for longer trips
Trip Pics

edbehnke

North America (from Michigan)

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/19 06:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

here you go, everything you need to know.

https://www.blueridgeparkway.org/parkway-maps/

this is a must for a stop and look. Little Switzerland is an unincorporated community in McDowell and Mitchell counties of North Carolina, United States. It is located along NC 226A off the Blue Ridge Parkway, directly north of Marion, North Carolina and south of Spruce Pine. Elevation is 3500 feet above sea level. Wikipedia

eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

sgfrye

north carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/19 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

welove2drive wrote:

We stayed at Mama Gerties Hideaway Campground in Asheville, NC. It is a very nice RV park. We don't usually stay at RV parks but we really enjoyed staying at this one.

x2 on mama gerties

we live in nc and have traveled from niagara falls/canada to florida up and down along the east coast

mama gerties is in our top 5 favorites. if possible get a spot on top. incredible views

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/19 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

The KOA in Luray VA is in a beautiful setting. Worth a look.
Just to split hairs, Luray is not on (or near) the BRP, it's off Skyline Dr.,
Approx. 85 mi from the North entrance to the Blue Ridge Parkway at I-64.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.