Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Rear tires balance
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Rear tires balance

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/19 05:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most tire manufacturers still put a yellow paint mark on the tire that is supposed to be aligned with the valve stem. This is the lightest part of the tire. That said, most tire INSTALLERS(I won't call them all techs) are doing an entry level job, that no one else wants to do, and they just mount the tires with the mark wherever it ends up. This usually means that they have to use excessive weight to balance a tire. Here is a link from Yokohama but other tire manufacturers use the same standard. Just scroll down to "weight method". Tire balancing

CapriRacer

Somewhere in the US

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/19 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

Most tire manufacturers still put a yellow paint mark on the tire that is supposed to be aligned with the valve stem. This is the lightest part of the tire. …….

ah ….. Mmmmm ….. not exactly.

First, the mark is usually red - AND - it's the high point of uniformity (think roundness and you'll be close), not balance.

Second, the vast majority of wheels are NOT marked for the low or light point with the valve stem. With a few exceptions, the placement of the valve hole is random.

Yeah, I know, that is NOT what the Yokohama web page says, but they are wrong. Last year I did a survey of OE manufacturers and found only one (Chrysler) who match mounted using the valve hole and it was for uniformity, not balance. No one else specified the location of the valve hole - and since, by far, the vast majority of wheels come as OE on new vehicles (meaning the aftermarket replacement of wheels is by comparison pretty small), what Yoko said wasn't true.

HOWEVER, there is no harm done matching tire dots to the wheel valve hole - only it more than likely doesn't do anything of value.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/19 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Red mark is the heaviest point on the tire and yellow is the lightest point on the tire. I am sure that the tire manufacturers DO NOT know what they are talking about. I only posted this for information that may help some people.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/19 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We do and there is a difference. Load force balanced.
Four out of balanced tires aren't going to cancel out each other.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/19 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I held back on this to see what was said. I have owned one of my DPs since 1997 and have replaced the tires 4 times the other one I have replaced them once. All done by the same tire place and not once have they applied a weight and I have never had ANY vibration in the steering or otherwise. Old DP has 110,000+ miles and newer one about 70,000. I asked once and they said that they lined up a mark on the tire...Now this information may not agree with some of you and at first I wasn't sure but it seems to work on my units just fine. These are 22.5 wheels and one has aluminum and the other steel wheels. This is only meant to be an example, you decide what makes you happy.

CapriRacer

Somewhere in the US

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/19 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From Yokohama's web site:

"....the red mark on the tire, indicating the point of maximum radial force variation, should be aligned with the wheel assembly's point of minimum radial run-out, which is generally indicated by a colored dot or a notch somewhere on the wheel assembly (consult manufacturer for details)......"

Please note that this only appies to Yokohama tires. Other manufacturers don't necessarily use red dots - some don't apply any marks at all.

Smitty77

OnDRoad

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/19 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have all tires/wheels balanced.

I pay the tire tech $10 extra tip per tire, for showing me how well he has positioned the tire on the wheel to avoid egg rolling.

Each axle has Centramatic's.

Tires are on our RV's from 5 -10 years, depending upon what an owner feels is his comfort zone. (I target replacement of my tires at between 6-7 years of age.) So if you spread the cost of an $80 tip, and the costs of balancing to the shop, over those 6-7 years - well, it sure is not too much to do so[emoticon]!

Best to all, have fun, be safe,
Smitty

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/19 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Smitty77 wrote:

I have all tires/wheels balanced.

I pay the tire tech $10 extra tip per tire, for showing me how well he has positioned the tire on the wheel to avoid egg rolling.

Each axle has Centramatic's.

Tires are on our RV's from 5 -10 years, depending upon what an owner feels is his comfort zone. (I target replacement of my tires at between 6-7 years of age.) So if you spread the cost of an $80 tip, and the costs of balancing to the shop, over those 6-7 years - well, it sure is not too much to do so[emoticon]!

Best to all, have fun, be safe,
Smitty

Smitty,
You're making waaaaaaaaaaaay too much sense here for many RVers. Thinking ahead, and planning for longevity, even at a slight cost, isn't always on the agendas for some RVers. Not to mention, as has been stated, four tires on the back of ANY coach, don't cancel each other out. They're still OUT OF BALANCE.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Rear tires balance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.