Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: replace transfer switch with 50amp plug?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> replace transfer switch with 50amp plug?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
hertfordnc

Hertford, NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/19 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's 50 amps, this is a substantial 35-foot HR with slides, two roof airs, etc.

* This post was edited 01/21/19 05:50pm by hertfordnc *

Dave & Ellen Silva
1972 REVCON 250
What's the Best Class A motorhome?

[email protected]

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/19 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you think he has room for this? If so do you think he is talented to retrofit it in without getting hurt?

Southwire 41260

It's a 50A transfer switch with the benefit of "limited" surge suppression. This was my original equipment transfer switch I replaced last year to get a full surge suppression upgrade. There is nothing wrong with the switch or contacts. Works perfect. I just haven't gotten any interest from anyone to purchase because it is used. Free to this gentlemen if you think it will work. I just need to know where to send it.

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

hertfordnc

Hertford, NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/19 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mile High wrote:

Do you think he has room for this? If so do you think he is talented to retrofit it in without getting hurt?

Southwire 41260

It's a 50A transfer switch with the benefit of "limited" surge suppression. This was my original equipment transfer switch I replaced last year to get a full surge suppression upgrade. There is nothing wrong with the switch or contacts. Works perfect. I just haven't gotten any interest from anyone to purchase because it is used. Free to this gentlemen if you think it will work. I just need to know where to send it.

THat would be extraordinary. I am having him send photos and I'm making a plan to help him.

I am currently a furloughed DHS employee so no 200 mile road trips until the shutdown ends.

I'll Send you a PM.

thanks

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/19 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hertfordnc wrote:

I have a friend who's on some hard times and living in an older HR pusher in a park.

It sounds like his transfer switch has croaked. For a while he would lose power from the pole and it would only run on generator.

Then it stopped getting power from either source.

He really does not have $150-200 for a new switch.

My suggestion is that he wire it the way my much older coach is wired,

The AC cord goes to the breaker panel. The generator goes to a female 30 amp plug. Instead of a transfer switch i plug the RV cord into the plug to operate from the generator.

I am a fair electrician but i have not been out ot see just what htis would entail

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

thanks

I might not being reading the plan right but here's what I would do.

What you want is a male plug that is wired to the coach AC breaker panel and them female plugs on the shore power cord and the cable coming from the generator. To switch the owner will need to unplug one and plug in the other. This will completely eliminate the slightest potential of bring the generator on line in parallel with shore power which won't end well for the coach owner. Also you want to avoid any potential of the blades of a male plug being energized when exposed.

And I feel your furlough pain. I work for the Coast Guard.

2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/19 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not simply repair the Transfer switch?

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

hertfordnc

Hertford, NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/19 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dale.Traveling wrote:

I might not being reading the plan right but here's what I would do.

What you want is a male plug that is wired to the coach AC breaker panel and them female plugs on the shore power cord and the cable coming from the generator. To switch the owner will need to unplug one and plug in the other. This will completely eliminate the slightest potential of bring the generator on line in parallel with shore power which won't end well for the coach owner. Also you want to avoid any potential of the blades of a male plug being energized when exposed.

And I feel your furlough pain. I work for the Coast Guard.

I think we've worked out another solution but to answer your question, my budget bandaid plan was to cutout the transfer switch and disconnect the generator. THen put a female 50amp outlet on hte generator.

The coach power cord would be direct to the CB panel and it would be plugged in to shore power or the generator.

hertfordnc

Hertford, NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/19 10:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

Why not simply repair the Transfer switch?

I've never opened one up. Are they normally repairable?

I hate that I am stumbling through this long distance. THese things usually make sense when i can see them.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/19 05:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the "transfer switch" on my first Class A RV was to unplug the wire from the supply post and plug it into the generator outlet. isn't that the same thing here?
bumpy

Teacher's Pet

SD.. Fulltimers. Goshen IN summers

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/19 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can get the manufacturer's part numbers off the internal replays, Amazon could be your friend. I've bought, fan motors, fan capacitors and microwave oven turntable motors that were not available through the microwave or fan manufacturer's as those parts were deemed obsolete. More than likely those relays are purchased outside, make up an assembly the transfer switch "manufacturer" sold witch is only available as a complete unit.

'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/19 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok he can not affored a new AUTOMAIC transfer switch.

How about a "Poor man's transfer switch"

What is a PMTS?
two outlets. one with a label that says "GENERATOR" and the other "SHORE" and a plug.

NOTE: if he ever falls on "Good times" and decides to install a Hughs Autoformer.. Makes it real easy (Since one outlet and plug is the hughes install kit) or even a Progressive INdustries surge protector (EMS) can be "installed" between the plug and outlet (makes it easy to remove to a new RV)

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> replace transfer switch with 50amp plug?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS