cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion Selling RV

RodLyle
Explorer
Explorer
I am by no means trying to use this forum to sell my RV.

Depending on health issues I may have to go down that road. Any suggestions on the best way?

Dos and don’t s thanks in advance

I hope won’t happen just in case

Rod
26 REPLIES 26

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
To the OP - back on track - We've sold two MH's on craigslist. We tried RV trader and a few others and all we got were SPAM phone calls of people offering to sell my RV on consignment.

Pricing your RV right is key. Review the market and see what units like yours are selling for. You must price competitively, or you will continue to own it until you do. The market is saturated with used RV's, so remove the emotion from it and price it realistically.

Both of our sales were a bit different. The first one the buyers went through bank of the west and they ordered inspections, coordinated closing with our banks etc. It was like a house closing and lots of oversight. Very reassuring and if you have buyer I would steer them that way. The second one was totally private sale but we leveraged our bank for help through the process anyway. Banks do this daily and have controls in place to protect you. If a bank holds the title, they will need to be involved anyway. But in the end, they handed us a cashier's check and we took it to the bank. Good luck!
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
ScottG wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
ScottG wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:

I would like to hear the details about how a legitimate wire transfer was reversed. That goes against what every bank manager in every bank has ever said.

Unfortunately, I can't give many details over the interweb but it was an instance of fraud and we found out just how it can be reversed. It was actually a day later that we found out the transfer was succesfully stopped in its tracks.
My bank told me a wire transfer can be stopped before the funds are put in my account but once the funds are posted in my account it cannot be reversed.

It's our understanding that the funds were indeed deposited into the thiefs acct but the bank was able to reverse it within a certain amount of time - maybe before the could take the money back out of that account. It may be that the conditions of the whole transaction were so questonable that the two banks worked together. I don't know how the mechanics actually worked.

If a wire transfer is complete, it's complete. They cannot be reversed. If you win the race of the wire transfer in enough time to order a cancel before it hits the recipient's account then it can be stopped, but after that it's too late. A good thief would have received funds, withdrawn or transferred and or closed the account and moved on making it impossible to "reverse" a wire anyway. Reversing a wire is impossible due to the mechanics of the transaction as well as the investigative proof that the funds need to be refunded, all parties agree in which case it's not reversing a wire, but a separate transaction - a refund. What likely happened - and this is up to the individual bank - they refunded your funds based on evidence of fraud and either filed a claim through FDIC or pursued it through their own means.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
HadEnough wrote:
camperdave wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Anything over $10,000 must be reported.

When I was buying, I was told that anything over $10k must be reported by the bank, so I went in over the course of several days and withdrew $9k each time. I dunno if that helps or makes me look even more suspicious lol. But no feds have shown up yet so...

Yikes. That's structuring. That IS a federal crime, where putting through a large deposit is not.

Not really. It's only structuring if you are doing it for an illegal reason - like money laundering. There is no law against multiple transactions of different amounts. But a SAR will be filed and it will be investigated. Transactions over $9,999 being reported sounds alarming but it isn't. Banks are required to file a notice when transactions meet a particular threshold. But you aren't special, this happens hundreds of thousands of times a day and should NOT be a reason to avoid a transaction provided it's legal. Working around it with multiple smaller transactions makes it look far more suspicious and will be investigated - it would certainly look to the bank like structuring. All you've done is draw attention to yourself. If a buyer hands you cash, take it to the bank. You'll be asked the source of the funds. A SAR (suspicious activity report) might be filed - transparent to you - and move on. If no harm - no foul. Happens every day and no big deal provided it's legit.

piniped
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody here try to use ESCROW.COM? Is it safe? What was your result other than the fee?
Thanks in advance.
Jeff & Judy
"Coco Diablo" LH Dachshund X and "Rosalita" Fox Terrier/street dawg X

2016 Itasca Navion 16V, 2006 Saturn Vue-Toad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Bird Freak wrote:
ScottG wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:

I would like to hear the details about how a legitimate wire transfer was reversed. That goes against what every bank manager in every bank has ever said.

Unfortunately, I can't give many details over the interweb but it was an instance of fraud and we found out just how it can be reversed. It was actually a day later that we found out the transfer was succesfully stopped in its tracks.
My bank told me a wire transfer can be stopped before the funds are put in my account but once the funds are posted in my account it cannot be reversed.

It's our understanding that the funds were indeed deposited into the thiefs acct but the bank was able to reverse it within a certain amount of time - maybe before the could take the money back out of that account. It may be that the conditions of the whole transaction were so questonable that the two banks worked together. I don't know how the mechanics actually worked.

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
I recently discovered "Facebook Marketplace" for buying and selling!
Amazingly because of this website. Someone posted a link to a M H they were looking at and when I followed the link I found it.
There are a lot of postings on there and it seems less chance for scammers because you need to register to respond.
Since finding the site I found a GREAT deal on an 18' boat and missed another deal on a zero turn mower by a few hours.
You can't be too careful with money. I recently bought an item on ebay, paid with paypal and got notice from ebay that the item had been hacked.
I did cancel the p p and got my money back.
Have used wire transfers but made sure it was legitimate first.
CYA!

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Anytime I do a large cash transaction I always use the counterfeit pen to check it. That includes if I get it directly from the bank. I know a fellow who took out $10,000 in cash from US Bank. When he got home he tested it, and $4000 of it failed. He took it back to US Bank, they did confirm it was counterfeit, but would not take it back and make him whole. You would think that a bank would always catch that kind of thing. They even weigh each bill. He lost the $4000.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I recently had my daughter collect a load of cash from someone for me and the bank would not let her deposit it in my account. She put it in her own bank and wrote me a check which I deposited....I was told here that some banks do not accept cash at all any more but I have not seen that. I have also done the $9000--$9000--$9000 deal before, no problem.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
rgatijnet1 wrote:

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
As I mentioned, I am in Florida and the banks down here are already on the Feds list to keep an eye on. In any case, according to the bank manager, it is the banks that are required to report ANY suspicious deposits or withdrawals. They do not have Feds in every bank. As I mentioned, he knew me and he knew my cars so there was no suspicious activity for him to report. The same goes for most every business or large personal banking activities where your patterns are well known by the bank.

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
camperdave wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:

When I was buying, I was told that anything over $10k must be reported by the bank, so I went in over the course of several days and withdrew $9k each time. I dunno if that helps or makes me look even more suspicious lol. But no feds have shown up yet so...

Yikes. That's structuring. That IS a federal crime, where putting through a large deposit is not.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
camperdave wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:

All very true. Also, no bank manager isn't going to sneak something by for anyone. That would be prison time kind of stuff and it would be silly because it doesn't matter anyhow.

I wouldn't be concerned about large deposits. I discussed this very thing with a bank manager and he said large deposits are done many thousands of times a day and the IRS just doesn't have the time or desire to even begin to check them all out. That plus the vast majority are legit so there's just no incentive for them to research it either.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v