Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Route Thru the Big Horns
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Route Thru the Big Horns

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/19 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

j3ff9ack wrote:

In my opinion, Hwy 16 is a bit easier than Hwy 14, but not significantly so. Both have lots of grade and turns. As mentioned by an earlier poster, do not use Hwy 14A.
+1

Couple Summers ago I went east on 14 and and west on 16. Seemed about the same but 16 was probably a bit easier. And yes I am loaded to max and use the lower gears to get over due to limited power. Allow an extra hour over the GPS estimate to give plenty of time to relax and enjoy the view at a slower pace.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/19 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JMO, I think that 16 is the prettier drive.....but that’s just me!

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

hornet28

Muskegon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/19 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb wrote:

JMO, I think that 16 is the prettier drive.....but that’s just me!

If you you like the high country go 14A west from Burgess Junction. You can always turn around before starting the descent. I thought it was beautiful up there.

dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/19 10:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yr2017 wrote:

2nomads wrote:

This has probably been covered many times, BUT - short answer: We're traveling from Devil's Tower, WY to Cody, WY then Yellowstone this coming July in a 34 foot class A gas motorhome towing a car. We've driven Hwy 16 from Buffalo to Worland on to Greybull and on to Cody and remember the grades. My question: Is that still the easiest route, preferable to Hwy 14 Sheridan to Greybull? Not familiar with Hwy 14. How are the grades and curves compared to Hwy 16? Thanks.

Why would you subject yourselves and your vehicle to that kind of abuse?

The easiest way from the Tower to Cody is taking US 212 to Custer Battlefield - Crow Agency, then up I 90 to Billings and back down US 310 to MT 72 to WY 120. About 400 mi and 8 hr trip. It's a bit longer and MUCH SAFER. Plus you'll get to see the Battlefield and Billings (Costco) along the way. Gas was always cheaper in MT than Cody.

Maybe that's not so obvious to someone from out of town. That's why people ask questions.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

yr2017

Montana/Panama

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/19 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Maybe that's not so obvious to someone from out of town. That's why people ask questions.

Unbeyknownst to you and others is that I lived and transported animals throughout the region for 40 yrs. Been over all the routes numerous times. Nothing worse than being stuck behind an rv barely able to make the climb up and burning the brakes on the way down. My brother operated a commercial tow truck in Lovell that recovered a couple of rv's a month because they tried and failed to maintain the lanes on the switchbacks. He now drives his wrecker in Canada where the money is better.

Big AL -
1977 Skookum 53, DD453, slps 6, 2 heads in Panama - cruising the Pearl Islands

dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/19 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yr2017 wrote:

Quote:

Unbeyknownst to you and others is that I lived and transported animals throughout the region for 40 yrs. Been over all the routes numerous times. Nothing worse than being stuck behind an rv barely able to make the climb up and burning the brakes on the way down. My brother operated a commercial tow truck in Lovell that recovered a couple of rv's a month because they tried and failed to maintain the lanes on the switchbacks. He now drives his wrecker in Canada where the money is better.

That's great. Thanks for the input, but keep it respectful.

lbrjet

Gold Canyon, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/19 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

16 is not as steep and not as curvy as 14. Easiest route over the Bighorns.

2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

greyhook

western new york

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/19 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been over the Bighorns a couple times via 14, avoid 14A. Each time we've noticed something different-incredibly scenic. On the part where there are hills and grades, we've found enough pullouts in those areas where we can let the vehicle or driver take a break and enjoy the scenery. It's really not that bad-there are worse out there(Teton Pass).

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Route Thru the Big Horns
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.