cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires#2

RonR2440
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to thank people for responding to my initial Tires question. When I originally weighed my 32' Cambria I was within 300# of maxing out the rv rear end. Tanks and the large rear storage compartment were pretty empty and I wasn't carrying much inside. I imagine that once we fill up the interior, attach the tow dolly, add a few gallons of fresh water and put supplies in the rear storage, I will be maxing out the dually tire carrying capacity. I have been thinking of staying with the same tire size but upgrading to a load index 121 which increases capacity by about 500# per tire. I am concerned about ride, I feel like we bang down the road as it is at 80 psi when going over repaired road. Any thoughts you might have? Thanks ahead of time for replies and comments. I wonder how much manufacturers think about the overweight issue before building their product?
9 REPLIES 9

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the site I have included and ask your questions there. Brand specific:

http://aspectcambriarvforum.forumotion.com/

Now I believe you should have but and not certain air bag suspension in the rear? You need to determine what pressures you need to have an effect on the ride. 80PSI is max and may not really be needed but if it is you will need a higher rated tire other than the E's probably on it now? Not sure you could even run larger wheels tires on these, maybe with a lift kit?

Go to another scale and re-weigh to see where you really are at weight wise see if they can do individual wheel locations or if by axle only. My 12 aspect 28 is under 13000 or so lightly loaded. If towing a trailer, as noted earlier try to go to 4 down vehicle, adds virtually no tongue weight.

So drop by the aspect site and join in the conversations there. I did post a link to your 1st post but not much happened.

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
I had to look through some of your other posts to see what MH you have. Your profile says you have an MB, but it looks like you now have a 2014 E450.

The tires at 80 psi are rated at 9,880#, so that's a few hundred pounds more than the 9,600# rated rear axle.

Are you sure about that weight ? I have a 2014 32 1/2' Class C Itasca that had a rear axle weight of 7,820# fully loaded when it was 6 months old. I weighed it 5 years later and it was more fully loaded :B and weighed 8,600#, but still well under the axle and tire ratings.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
You may need different wheels to get any (significant) advantage from higher load rated tires. Usually the greater carrying capacity is only at higher tire pressures, and frequently the stock wheels are only rated for 80 psi maximum. It should be stamped or engraved on the wheel somewhere.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Empty tanks and nearly empty storage, and already within 300# of load limit...should be illegal to sell a coach like that.

BTW, tires are not the only thing that dictates rear axle GAWR; suspension, rear end, etc also come into play. Simply putting heavier duty tires on may make you feel better, but you will still likely be overloaded.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 30 ft Cambria has air bags which is a plus, then upgraded the shocks 3 pluses. That shuttle bus pounding and teeth rattling is gone.

I put my coach on a diet, removed many duplicate items and moved some heavier ones to the front or midsection.
I take too much. As one man mentioned, there is just about anything you need at the next off ramp or 2 day shipping if it goes that far.Amazon will ship to you wherever you are. I have had items shipped and waiting for me at the next event I was attending.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
If you could go to 4 down towing, that would take hitch weight off it, then you wouldn't need new tires. If you go for new tires, you could also add Hellwig helper springs in the back. My 2017 Jayco comes standard with the Hellwigs. Or you could do airbags as well. My rig is heavy as well, so I save 300 pounds by running with very little water, just enough to flush the toilets. We drink bottled water in the rig. We don't boondock. My gvwr is 14,500 pounds and I'm never even close to it, but I don't load the rig up with tons of stuff either.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
What is your gvw and what is your gvwr? You might need more than tires.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
If you are that close to the limits, I'd think it's a good idea to up the load range if you can. It's one thing to overload an axle or GVWR. It's another to overload a tire. IMO.

Can't say about the harsher ride, but it would be a fair trade off to me.

On the other hand, thousands of 30+ foot Class C's roll down the road every year overloaded and don't explode, so you've got that going for you.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
That is one sad fact of class C MHs. Many are already taxing the chassis before loading anything.