Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: AZ camping in March
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
rangerjean

Sun City AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/19 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was wanting a little trip before the heat comes, unfortunately my dh only has weekends off so it makes it a little more of a risk to just show up. It seems most of the lower elevation campgrounds like around Sedona are booked already...I had no idea. Does anyone have suggestions for a nice spot that we can hopefully slip into without reservations. We have a 25 foot travel trailer and don't care about hookups.

Janss

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/19 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By "lower elevation", do you mean higher than the greater Phx area but lower than Flagstaff?

There are quite a few RV parks in the Verde Valley....Rancho Sedona, Dead Horse Ranch State Park, Distant Drums, Rain Spirit, Thousand Trails, and more.

Try checking www.campgroundreviews.com (used to be RVparkreviews)

There is boondocking available off the road to Thousand Trails, which is off Hwy 260 between Camp Verde and Cottonwood. Also boondocking on FR 525 which is off Hwy 89A between Sedona and Cottonwood.

Hope this helps.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/19 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

roosevelt lake theres plenty of boondocking ,even the restrooms are open. I love it there.

Malelau

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/19 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best places are the ones that combine convenience and untouched nature. You can join the tribe camp anti climate change initiative here: https://tribalclimatecamp.orghttps://tribalclimatecamp.org I love everything about it.

rangerjean

Sun City AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/19 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Janss. I also love all those you mentioned but they all seem to be booked already so I was looking for a new adventure. It's still a little cool for the 7,000 plus camps. I am looking at Patagonia Lake State Park. Anyone know it? It is a little farther than I wanted and at $30. a little pricey for us but might be worth a shot. We will be at Aspen (out of Payson) for memorial day and it is my favorite. Thanks for boondocking directions

SteveAE

Bend, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/19 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Janss wrote:

There is boondocking available off the road to Thousand Trails, which is off Hwy 260 between Camp Verde and Cottonwood. Also boondocking on FR 525 which is off Hwy 89A between Sedona and Cottonwood.

Note that the dispersion camping area off Thousand Trails road has been closed down. [emoticon]

Janss

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/19 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, that's a bummer. Do you know why they closed it?

Haven't been to Patagonia in 20 years, but I recall it being very enjoyable.

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/19 12:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thousand Trail Road disperse camping is closed for 3 years to allow for restoration and to let the land to heal. The popularity resulted in over use and with overuse came overcrowding and with overcrowding came too many slobs and pigs, and with slobs and pigs came destruction and with destruction came AREA CLOSE.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

huachuca

Tarboro, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/19 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bonito campground in Coconiino National Forest is less than an hour from Sedona but, at 6,900', a little higher. Nice campground with large wooded sites, clean johns and a great location.

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/19 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Patagonia Lake SP is one of our favorites but you will need reservations as far in advance as possible as it is very popular. Karchner Caverns SP is another nice park and the tour of the caves is awesome, again reservations are advised. Anything over about 6,000' in southern Arizona will probably not be opening until May first.

Roper Lake SP in Safford is nice and they even have a a natural hot spring on the grounds. There are a number of private hot springs spas in the area as well.

[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.