cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A drone while camping

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does any one have a drone they use while camping? If so, what's your choice? What's the limitations, restrictions of use in and or around campgrounds?
I'm dying to have one, but the cost can be prohibitive as are some of the restrictions in various parks.
What's the current thought trend?
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
75 REPLIES 75

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
"Guess where your cell phone was made?"

I have a Finland owned nokia phone and according to Nokia their phones are made in many different countries besides China. I enjoy avoiding buying chinese ________ as much as possible as I am retired on full vet disability for many years now and have time to carefully shop. All my old electronic stuff works just fine for me and therefore no need to buy new overpriced ________. Thank you for this opportunity. Captain Happy.

I only care about good price

Got lucky to find Blackberry few years back for 120$ on Amazon.

Alegedly its made in Mexico bc BB company was concerned about China stealing BB OS code

Make no sense since chinese Huawei is also very secure system imposible to crack or hack.

https://youtu.be/IfxfdHJ3k9Y

I think Main reason our Gov doesnt want it here is the Goverment couldnt spy on us LOL

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Guess where your cell phone was made?"

I have a Finland owned nokia phone and according to Nokia their phones are made in many different countries besides China. I enjoy avoiding buying chinese ________ as much as possible as I am retired on full vet disability for many years now and have time to carefully shop. All my old electronic stuff works just fine for me and therefore no need to buy new overpriced ________. Thank you for this opportunity. Captain Happy.

FlashBuddy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Phantom 4 Pro, never flown over a campground, but have spied on all my neighbors here in English Ranch - take a look!

I've heard great things about the Mavic, and Costco has those and the Mavic Mini, which also takes amazings video and stills.

For RVing, I think smaller would be better for storage and ease of setup. My setup takes some time so becomes a limiter - I don't fly it much.

The CSU Hughes Stadium was torn down since the university built its new stadium. So sad, here it is a couple months before it disappeared forever.

I haven't tried scouting out potential off grid campsites yet and wonder how feasible that would be.

I learned early on with my neighbors, letting them see the screen together with me as I fly alleviated all the 'spy' considerations they have. It just isn't possible ๐Ÿ™‚

FWIW, I'm licensed by the FAA and the drone, of course, is registered. When you shoot it down, look for my business card in the battery compartment and give me a call ๐Ÿ˜›
2018 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel Lariat Super Crew 4X4
Grand Design Reflection 295RL
Jan Baby the Wife & Molly the Dog

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
I thought about using a drone on very remote BLM land to check the rough road conditions ahead and look for suitable campsites. Also can check just before dark if other critters have set up camp close to me, etc. I go to very remote locations for true peace and quiet and privacy off the grid when in the mood. However changed my mind when I learned all the drones were made in spying China so no longer interested. Like always go to higher ground and survey area with binoculars. Works for me.

If drones become too numerous and intrusive of our privacy many people will start wearing disguises with brim hats to thwart facial recognition software. Just musing

Skynet is real,,be afraid LOL

https://youtu.be/CLo3e1Pak-Y

Seriously tho, law abiding people need not fear this,criminals will have no place to hide,good thing imo

What matters is the end result such as elimination of poverty and improving economy in this case
https://youtu.be/SSfsvaDS5zU

Btw Google and NSA and CIA is spying on all of us already if you didnt know

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
If you think drones are bad wait till people get their own Jet packs
:B

https://youtu.be/b3k94u0JqB0

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
I thought about using a drone on very remote BLM land to check the rough road conditions ahead and look for suitable campsites. Also can check just before dark if other critters have set up camp close to me, etc. I go to very remote locations for true peace and quiet and privacy off the grid when in the mood. However changed my mind when I learned all the drones were made in spying China so no longer interested. Like always go to higher ground and survey area with binoculars. Works for me.

If drones become too numerous and intrusive of our privacy many people will start wearing disguises with brim hats to thwart facial recognition software. Just musing
Guess where your cell phone was made?
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Old thread but it comes down to size and what type of flying you want to do.

I have 3 or 4 racing drones in my trailer at all times. Some are super tiny and still super fun to fly. Dont own any of the fancy camera drones.

MikeDupont
Explorer
Explorer
I travel with a racing drone or 2 and enjoy flying them where allowed. Many (most?) CGs don't allow drone flight within their borders for obvious reasons. Be sure and check before you even think about launching.

Like has been said, use your drone (or whatever, there's so many other camping annoyances i could name here) responsibly and with consideration for those around you.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nope. You are inviting trouble around other people.
They can be useful, but easily invade the privacy of other people and are intrusive.

Alfie95Foster
Explorer
Explorer
****, this is just ********. I had the same situation, I was looking for a drone suitable for shooting in an open area, which will give out good shots and videos, searched on buyersimpact.co.uk and my choice fell on the DJI Phantom 4, I bought it and a week later I wanted to try it out in the open. However, I was later informed that drones are not allowed to fly in that area. I was very angry, because I didn't understand why the ban was imposed and why it wasn't written anywhere???Why did I buy a drone that was expensive enough to fly at home??

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
The police helicopter flying past a mile away at 1500 feet can take pictures of every bump on your nose. The cameras at the traffic light can get clear pictures of your car and license plate as you pass 300' away at 60 MPH. Don't do anything you don't want to be seen doing, and don't worry about it. Drones cannot take pictures through the roof of your home. But a hot-air balloonist can take pictures through the skylight in your bathroom!
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
These are videos that you would never see without a drone
Whales

Watch @2:50 when papa whale comes up
Amazing
Baby whale

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
No complaints from anyone here lol