cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How cold before winterizing?

Stranger
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Sparks, NV. Forecasted temps for Monday night are about 22°.
We have to leave for Stanford, CA on Tuesday morning. Unit is the Bounder Motorhome. We will be dry camping at Stanford Hosp.

The question is, after filling tanks and purging Anti-Freeze, should I leave the furnaces on at about 50°? Or not worry about it?

TIA
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "Wow, what a ride!".
2012 Mesa Ridge 345RLS
2002 RAM 3500
9 REPLIES 9

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
bigorange wrote:
If you’re plugged in and want to save propane you could use electric heaters..
As long as one of those heaters is where the pipes are.

Using an electric heater doesn't heat the underbelly where using the furnace does. My under belly is heated as well as the pass through storage. Where I live we have about 3 weeks of teens and low 20's so I winterize but if we happen to go camping after that I just leave the furnace set for about 45 on nights that forecast temp is below freezing. Other wise I would be winterizing and dewinterizing 2 or 3 times
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I've used a single ceramic box heater in my 28 foot TT running on the 700 watt setting when the temps were in the 30s during the day and the mid to low twenties at night for a few days until I was able to winterize. With the heater running and the sun shining on it during the daytime it warmed up enough to compensate for the dip in Temps at night. I also open the vanity door in the bathroom and the doors under the sink in the kitchen area.

armadillo_17
Explorer
Explorer
If your coach has the water pump under the bed, make certain air can get to it. I had to learn the wrong way. I have to move the mattress when heating the motorhome in below freezing temps.
Jon in S/W Missouri
2007 Winnebago Class C
2012 Jeep Patriot (Manual Transmission)

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
bigorange wrote:
If you’re plugged in and want to save propane you could use electric heaters..
As long as one of those heaters is where the pipes are.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
If you’re plugged in and want to save propane you could use electric heaters...had similar situation here in Tucson with a hard freeze right before we were leaving on a trip and I burned a lot of propane the first night when electric heater would have done fine. Coiling up the 30-amp extension cord in the hard freeze was no fun though. LoL
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Definitely furnace on and cupboard doors open.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Stranger
Explorer
Explorer
I'm liking that. Thanks. Easiest.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "Wow, what a ride!".
2012 Mesa Ridge 345RLS
2002 RAM 3500

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Same here, I would leave the furnace on.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I would leave the furnace on. There's a reasonable chance it would not be necessary, but why push things that far? Bonus: you won't be leaving in a cold vehicle with cold belongings.