cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric hot water

shadowpup
Explorer
Explorer
My elect. hot water heater has always worked until the last time I used the MH. It was working (water hot, red light on rocker switch lighted) at night, got up in AM rocker switch not lighted and no hot water. Reset all 110 breakers, still not working. Turned on propane heat and it worked. ?????
Me and my Siberian Huskie (cat in a dog suit)
30' Safari Ivory class C
8 REPLIES 8

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
shadowpup wrote:
Problem solved. New rocker switch.

Tnx for the update, good job. :C

shadowpup
Explorer
Explorer
Problem solved. New rocker switch.
Me and my Siberian Huskie (cat in a dog suit)
30' Safari Ivory class C

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
My electric heating element burned up many years ago when our rig was a few years old. I checked the heating element using a volt meter.

After I completely drained the hot water tank from the outside with our rig on our flat driveway, I unscrewed and removed the element, but water tried to rush out. I quickly reinstalled it and got lots of old towels. When removed the water kept coming and coming, the towels could not contain so much water..

I called Atwood about it. The service tech told me 1/2 gallon of water stays inside to protect the electric heating element in case someone accidentally left it on while plugged in. He also said the design is such that freezing temps will not harm anything.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Atwood uses same DC source, Same set of T-stat/ECO and same circuit bd/2A fuse......propane works

So problem could be Bad Element, Bad DC Rely/AC wires

Got a voltmeter....know how to check/trace circuit?
All can be tested in outside compartment except for DC Rely and element which are under the cover on backside of tank
Check White wire and Yellow wire for DC with Electric switch ON and water temp cool.
Got DC on those two wires then issue is at/with DC Relay---AC wires or element

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

houstonstroker
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a chance the element was energized with no water in the tank? If so the element burned out. Easy to replace.
2016 Dynamax Force HD Super C

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
The inside water heater switch is likely a 12v switch used to energize an interposing relay that sends 120 vac to the water heater. Check your 12v fuses.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Which WH? Suburban uses a small switch outside on the heater that are prone to failure. Also they use resettable limit switch packs. That could have tripped.

ronfisherman
If breaker was tripped. I would suspect a shorted out heating element.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD