cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shaw Direct dropping most SD Channels this year

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
Ran across this article: https://www.shawdirect.ca/english/support/article/11268/.

If I am reading it correctly, it looks like most of the Std Def channels will be dropped by the end of Sep 2019. That will not leave very many that we will be able to receive down south.
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website
13 REPLIES 13

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
joebedford wrote:
2oldman wrote:
bjbear wrote:
That will not leave very many that we will be able to receive down south.
Guess you'll need an HD antenna.
I know you mean that as a joke, but it's almost true. You have to update the LNB.
No, not a joke, but he'll likely have to update everything, including the receiver. And maybe even the tube tv. LOL

Donโ€™t need to update anything! Already have the latest PVR, LNB and even one of those new fangled flat screen LED TVs. Got rid of my old B&W tube TV years ago. ๐Ÿ˜‰
My Website

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
2oldman wrote:
bjbear wrote:
I know you mean that as a joke, but it's almost true. You have to update the LNB.
No, not a joke, but he'll likely have to update everything, including the receiver. And maybe even the tube tv. LOL
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
2oldman wrote:
bjbear wrote:

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
The older receivers won't have any standard definition channels to receive after this year. I had to junk my one sd receiver earlier this year. Managed to get a super deal on a high-def 630 PVR: $40 on kijiji.

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently in the US and there are a number of HD channels on the older sats (for example CBC and CTV Toronto) and quite a number of others. With the number of Shaw customers with older equipment I don't see the the older sats disappearing anytime soon.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Fizz wrote:
they came around last summer to replace the doohikey on the dish needed to get the latest satellite signal.
You need an xKu LNB to receive G1 but you can't get G1 in the south even if you have the xKu LNB.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ruralgas wrote:
My discussion with a Shaw tech just last week and he informed me that by the end of 2019 they will have completed the move of all HD channels to the new satellite.
I don't doubt that the tech told you that but it's not true. There will be (some) HD channels on F1/F2.

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
Ruralgas wrote:
Hi
My discussion with a Shaw tech just last week and he informed me that by the end of 2019 they will have completed the move of all HD channels to the new satellite. This is the one that has the smaller footprint and no coverage probably past Great Falls MT.
He said consequently the SD channels are then turned off. However he did say that any HD channel that is on the older 2 satellites will still continue to operate.
He didn't tell me just how many channels that would be, however I think it won't be that many.
IPTV might be more of an interest come the end of 2019 for Canadian coverage down south.

Do you have any recommendation for an IPTV provider?
My Website

Ruralgas
Explorer
Explorer
Hi
My discussion with a Shaw tech just last week and he informed me that by the end of 2019 they will have completed the move of all HD channels to the new satellite. This is the one that has the smaller footprint and no coverage probably past Great Falls MT.
He said consequently the SD channels are then turned off. However he did say that any HD channel that is on the older 2 satellites will still continue to operate.
He didn't tell me just how many channels that would be, however I think it won't be that many.
IPTV might be more of an interest come the end of 2019 for Canadian coverage down south.

monde48
Explorer
Explorer
Well this is interesting. We were talking to > Shaw Direct and they told us by April or May. You will not be able to get anything down, across the border so we have had it for a number of years, so maybe next year we will be looking for something new. So anybody finds out something different keep us all informed. Please. I know it worked this year

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Shaw operates three satellites.
The latest one has a shorter footprint and is not available down south.
The older two can and do carry some HD but you need the newer receiver for it.

Don't take this as the final answer, who knows.
I have it at the cottage and they came around last summer to replace the doohikey on the dish needed to get the latest satellite signal.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
bjbear wrote:
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Depends on which sat. the equivalent HD channels land.