cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How well does the RAM 2500 6.4 Hemi tow?

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for a new truck to tow an 8000 lb travel trailer and I'm torn between the 2018 RAM 2500 6.4L Hemi and 6.7L Cummins diesel. All the reviews that that I've read show that diesel will tow better than the 6.4L, so surprise there. Unfortunately, all the tests that I've read are done with at least 12,500 lbs and I'm wondering how the 6.4L hemi would do only pulling 8000 lbs.

We plan upon doing a lot of traveling out west, so we'll be towing up and down a lot of steep grades and I was hoping to hear some real world towing experiences on how the 6.4L Hemi does does in that situation pulling 8000 lbs. Can it maintain it's speed up the hills and do you have to red-line the RPMs doing so? How does it do going down? Does the 4.10 rear axle do much better than the 3.73?

Thanks.
101 REPLIES 101

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
You guys can say all you want. If I was looking for a new truck. I would go with gas! 30 year diese tech here. The diesels ever since DEF came to be have been consistently unreliable. Only because of all the garbage attached to it!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Gatorm wrote:
Uhm, I would say it’s pretty accurate. I deal with dealerships and their mechanics on a regular basis and I can tell you, without a doubt, they think the newer diesels are going to be nightmares to keep on the road as a whole as they get older. No matter the brand.

Also, I would say the cost spread between gasoline and diesel is more than $1

Depends on where you live. The stations near me vary between the same or up to .80.
The 2.5 mpg difference when towing negates the higher diesel cost up to a dollar difference.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
You dredged up a 2 1/2 year old post to add this nonsense? Half of this isn't even remotely true. Marty time to close another chapter of the the ol' gas vs. diesel peeing match.

Newb probably didn't look at the time line raised from the long dead ancient history beat to death thread.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Camper445
Explorer
Explorer
Gatorm wrote:

I was in PA over the weekend, paid $6.09 for diesel south of Pittsburgh.

While I was fueling the digital price sign changed for regular gas from $4.79 to $4.89 in the blink of an eye LOL.

Gatorm
Explorer
Explorer
Uhm, I would say it’s pretty accurate. I deal with dealerships and their mechanics on a regular basis and I can tell you, without a doubt, they think the newer diesels are going to be nightmares to keep on the road as a whole as they get older. No matter the brand.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
You dredged up a 2 1/2 year old post to add this nonsense? Half of this isn't even remotely true. Marty time to close another chapter of the the ol' gas vs. diesel peeing match.

Gatorm
Explorer
Explorer
hvac wrote:
Hammerboy wrote:
hvac wrote:
And another thought. Why are fleets dumping diesels like UPS and cable companies? Why is Ford introducing a rebuildable big block push rod gasser? Why? Speaks volumes.

I think it's simply because of the nature of their work, a lot of urban stop and go driving idling etc. With the current diesel emissions that doesn't work really well, semi trucks that travel on the other hand you don't see them going to gas because for them diesel makes more sense.

So the big 3, all have a new baby diesel. Everyone is all excited. A form should be signed by all who buy one so that they understand some basic issues.
Buy your diesel from high volume outlets. Keep receipts as your on your own if you get bad fuel
Buy you DEF with caution. Keep receipts. Old DEF is not covered in your warranty
Don't drive locally or idle as this will result into the engine going in a shut down mode.
Your emission system is only covered under a 3/36 warranty. EGR coolers fail frequently, cost to repair exceeds 2k.
Your intake manifold will be clogged by 75k to 100k miles.
Deleting or tuning will resolve many of the above issues but will violate your warranty and the federal clean air act.

Seems reasonable??
Dan

Other than all of that **** plus the fuel systems are time bombs, they’re real cost effective compared to a gas truck LOL. And as of today, fuel is about $1 a gallon more than gas. I just drove from Phoenix back to Nashville and it was consistently $1 or more the entire way. The reason the big 3 are reenergizing gas motors is obvious…..the new age diesels ARENT RELIABLE anymore compared to pre 2007ish. It’s just a fact. Just go ask your local dealer mechanic.

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Hammerboy wrote:
hvac wrote:
And another thought. Why are fleets dumping diesels like UPS and cable companies? Why is Ford introducing a rebuildable big block push rod gasser? Why? Speaks volumes.

I think it's simply because of the nature of their work, a lot of urban stop and go driving idling etc. With the current diesel emissions that doesn't work really well, semi trucks that travel on the other hand you don't see them going to gas because for them diesel makes more sense.

So the big 3, all have a new baby diesel. Everyone is all excited. A form should be signed by all who buy one so that they understand some basic issues.
Buy your diesel from high volume outlets. Keep receipts as your on your own if you get bad fuel
Buy you DEF with caution. Keep receipts. Old DEF is not covered in your warranty
Don't drive locally or idle as this will result into the engine going in a shut down mode.
Your emission system is only covered under a 3/36 warranty. EGR coolers fail frequently, cost to repair exceeds 2k.
Your intake manifold will be clogged by 75k to 100k miles.
Deleting or tuning will resolve many of the above issues but will violate your warranty and the federal clean air act.

Seems reasonable??
Dan

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
A good friend owns a small trucking company. About 70 or so semi long haul. He gets real angry when you discuss new generation diesels.its not a good subject to bring up.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
hvac wrote:

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

hvac
Explorer
Explorer

From fleet magazine.

“Not so long ago, the gas vs. diesel equation handily favored diesel: Diesels offered more power and you received a significant payback because of the low cost of diesel fuel relative to gasoline and diesel’s better fuel economy,” explains Ken Gillies, manager of truck ordering & engineering at GE Capital Fleet Services.

“Now that equation has been flipped on its head,” he says. “Diesel fuel is more expensive than gasoline, and the fuel economy gap isn’t as wide anymore. Also, the addition of emissions control technology to diesel engines added significantly to the initial purchase price of diesel-powered trucks.”

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ppine wrote:
When you consider their performance, longevity, and better mileage, diesels are cheaper to own. If you are gong to pull heavy trailers in the mountains stop messing around and buy a diesel.

But if you were responding to trofeos recent question presumably, your standard one size fits all response is just rhetoric that's not applicable to the question.
Look at a map. His vacations are about as far as one might have to drive to the store in rural Nevada.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you consider their performance, longevity, and better mileage, diesels are cheaper to own. If you are gong to pull heavy trailers in the mountains stop messing around and buy a diesel.

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
I'm surprised, with your towing requirements, I see no reason for a diesel. None.