cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV air conditoner silencer

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
Saw an article in FMCA magazine about an RV A/C silencer from Wacko Products. It replaces existing filter input housing with a " improved design" that is supposed to reduce noise and provide better filtration. Cost $189. Has anyone tried this? Does it work well enough to justify the money?
12 REPLIES 12

Ex-Tech
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty expensive piece of plastic.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is another one.

Clicky
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought and installed one on our Dometic A/C less than 2 weeks ago. It makes a noticeable difference in noise with no discernible difference in air flow. According to a phone app, itโ€™s now 2.6dB quieter.
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Does seem to be an actual company....but who would name their company, "Wacko?"

Might suggest something like, "WhisperO," for an AC silencer...

x2. Even if my last name was Wacko I would chose a different name for the product.
Wacko invites ridicule. JMO

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I wish they would make something to silence the furnace too.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
It appears to be a legitimate product, although I can't say how effective it is.

WackO Products

The product on that link says it makes the Coleman A/C {Reduce sound levels 3-6 decibels (dB)}

I think I got the same reduction in sound level or more with a thicker a/c charcoal filter that only cost $10.00 for 2 a/c units..

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
two travelers wrote:
Saw an article in FMCA magazine about an RV A/C silencer from Wacko Products. It replaces existing filter input housing with a " improved design" that is supposed to reduce noise and provide better filtration. Cost $189. Has anyone tried this? Does it work well enough to justify the money?

Well that's a lot of money for something you can do yourself, my ducted a/c units also made a lot of noise at the return vents on the units, removed the thin cheap foam filter and bought a thick charcoal filter at Lowes that made the unit a lot quieter and filters better and only cost about $10.00, you do have to cut the filters down to fit..

https://www.lowes.com/pd/WEB-Furnace-AC-Filter-Common-25-in-x-20-in-x-1-in-Actual-24-625-in-x-19-625...

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:

Scroll down their web page:

"One hot evening sitting around the campfire with some of my good friends the idea was tossed around of opening up a company. My first words were who would buy this crazy (WackO) stuff from me. The comments around the fire were why wouldnโ€™t they."
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
It appears to be a legitimate product, although I can't say how effective it is.

WackO Products
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
You will see things advertised now and then to quiet do the air conditioners and non of them work very well. Most of the noise is sound coming through the roof.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I have never heard of this, but if Wacko products is selling it I would run the other way!
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992