Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

internet options

iguana07
Explorer
Explorer
Hola
My sister and bro in law will be coming down south next winter and stay three months in their RV.
She needs a reliable wifi connection she works from home for a government contractor. State side she can travel and work anywhere cell service is good. At our RV park they provide internet but it has been down for days and Telcell can also be very unreliable. Is there a mobile satellite that can be used for wifi in Mexico?
Thanks
Chuck
Chuck n Sandy
Roxy the Kelpie and Kiki the cat.
28 REPLIES 28

Talleyho69
Way better than any service we had in California and the service response is wonderful.

The price? How can it be done for these prices???

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
moisheh wrote:
Before carlos slim took over the service was horrible. Telemx had a bad union and the workers did not care about anything. When you called in to report a problem they would tell you it will be fixed. 2 days later it was still NG. If you called and complained they simply hung up. But things have changed. Our phone works 99.9% of the time. Now if we could only get the water dept. to improve their service!!!!

X2 Better than any service I have used in North, Central and South America.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Before carlos slim took over the service was horrible. Telemx had a bad union and the workers did not care about anything. When you called in to report a problem they would tell you it will be fixed. 2 days later it was still NG. If you called and complained they simply hung up. But things have changed. Our phone works 99.9% of the time. Now if we could only get the water dept. to improve their service!!!!

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
When the foreighn telephone companies were allowed in México, Telmex had to compete with them for clients so they have changed a lot of the dumb rules that they had, when I lived in Cholula in the late 60's I could get a phone if I was willing to wait about 3 or more years and buy stock in Telefonos de México, persons having phones were called "abonados" because they had "bonos" and it was expensive.

I guess that they are using the RV parks phisical address for the installation, it is in their interest to have a client after all, we have had AT&T service since 1982 and had the special program for Mexico, the internet service has only been somewhat important for us in the last 10 years, with laptop's and phones that are more computer than phone we are covered since they have access to the cell towers, we have a USB internet stick a signal booster and a hot spot for travelling more so for Mexico than the USA.

Thanks for the information.

navegator

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Navegator: At one time you had to have a residence and pay a big up front fee. No longer. Many RV'rs that live in parks have a phone line. We had the first phone in an RV park. BUT I had to pay about $200 up front. I only got that line as I was a Telmx shareholder and my broker had me send a letter to Carlos Slim. Of course he never saw the letter but one of his underlings contacted the head of Telmex in Sonora. They even put in a pole in front of our RV space! I tried to get the Internet en Su Casa service. It is great. But you need to sign a 2 year contract and they want a TP or RP. I gave up but may return and try to get them to accept my FMM and a copy of my Telmex bill. The rules are not the same everywhere. I have a Telcel Amiga phone and never showed any ID. Others have said they needed proof of a residence. Google that Internet en Su Casa. They state that after you use so much data they throttle the speed but users tell me they can still stream. At 399 pesos a month it is a bargain.

Moisheh

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
error on resident status...at least in Mazatlan.

People in our RV park always get a line put in for the winter and they are not residences of mexico.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck: being as you have one 10 year permit the only way you could permit the Toy Trailer would be to put it in your wife's name. Are you bringing a toy in the trailer?

Moisheh

Talleyho69
Yes, the service we get here is much better than we had in California (Silver Strand Beach) and much less expensive.

All we know about the installation is that it was scheduled, they came and said with our three story concrete house we needed three routers and more work. When we asked how to arrange it the TelMex installer said he could do it. $1500p later we had three beautiful installations, all three routers named appropriately, modem on the roof and great service, all for one low price.
A year later when we had a broken fiber optic cable diagnosed by TelMex "somewhere near by" they said it would be 5-10 days for repair. We called our installation guy and for 500p it was located and repaired within 2 hours of calling him.

Sounds like you have found the answer for your sister that should work well!

iguana07
Explorer
Explorer
Wow fiber to the house,nice! You have the special equipment at house with a fiber drop running to your house,from the fiber terminal? In . Calif this is done in new housing tracks due to the high cost of running fiber from fiber trunk cable. Not offered in much of Calif especially rural areas.
Found the name of company my sister is going with.
Computadores del Pacifico.
It is a microwave service, with a cell tower 100 yards from our RV park, our three friends love it.

Mo yes I still have sticker for RV, good for 8 more years. And no Trailer Hauler's paper work says utility trailer. Truck is 1/2 ton and trailer is in wife's name
Chuck n Sandy

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck: Do you still have a 10 year permit on your MH? They will only give you one 10 year and one 6 month. Does your title state it is a motorhome? That would sure help. Is your truck a 1 ton? Where are you crossing?

Moisheh

Alison_and_Neil
Explorer
Explorer
We are in Lo de Marcos at a RV park with the microwave service
Have had it the last 2 years and it works quite well
They claim to have 5 g service but very rarely gets over 3.5........better than in previous years
The town has experienced very poor internet service this year.......not sure exactly why?
We always have our own data plan as backup

Talleyho69
Here in Zihuatanejo we have fiber optics to our house.

We didn't have it to our house in Southern California.

Life is good.

iguana07
Explorer
Explorer
We have spent at least 6 winters in Lo De Marcos and know exactly how reliable the Telmex internet is. Unless you have fiber to the house you are still susceptible to hard wire problems. I haven't been anywhere yet in Mexico that has fiber to the house. I'm a retired phone guy, I know a little about how all these systems work. Telmex can slow down to a snail pace if many users are on at the same time, it only has so much band width. I would hate for my sister to have issues that I have experienced before.

Here in U.S. we are at the wireless connection mercy, pretty reliable but times when it does slow down.

But like I said there is hope, a dependable fast internet connection being offered, for the prices I mentioned on previous post.

Thank you all for your advice.
Chuck n Sandy

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
We've never had an issue with Telmex. The two times that our modem burned out due to storms or lightning strikes, the serviceman brought us a new one in less than 72 hours.

I'm sure there are lots of bad as well as good stories about Telmex. We love them and wouldn't think of changing our service. We live in a rural community to boot and our road is not paved and over a km long. We are "supposed" far from the register box that the signal should be very low. We stream Netflix, use two laptops all at the same time without an issue.

Once in a blue moon, the service may go out for a short time but that's about it.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog