Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 12 volt accessories and outlets
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> 12 volt accessories and outlets

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
suprz

rhode island

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/19 02:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

suprz,

Boy oh boy, I surely know where you are coming from for I have been where you are. My primary complaint is that both Ford outlets are too close to the gear shift lever. When anything is plugged into either outlet, they stick out so far that they interfere with shifting, especially when I up-shift and down-shift, distracting me from concentrating on the road. Not just a serious irritation, but also a safety matter. Then there is the problem with wires all over the cup holder surface.

I spent some design & installation time to make this little enhancement, and we both "Love" it with all problems solved.

I added one 12V outlet and a dual USB port in the front face of the cup holder seen with the two round rubber covers. The power to them is seen as a vertical gray strip going down from the radio section. When I have to remove the engine cowl, I first detach the cup holder, pull out the connector from under the radio & unplug and remove the thing. Power to my additional outlets is tapped from the cigarette lighter where power amperage is so much greater than the accessory port with rectangular rubber boot.

All things plugged into the new outlets, their wires drape to the floor, not over the cup holder area. The gear shift lever is free and clear to use without interference. When we stop, my wife stuffs everything out of the way, wires and all, inside the cubbie hole just below the two new outlets.

I bought the outlets new from a supplier on Ebay for less than $10. You can read more about the project by CLICKING HERE.
[image]

That's a beautiful installation, very clean and almost factory looking. I was trying not to modify the center console, but i really think that is the way to go. Thanks!

Proud father of a US Marine

suprz

rhode island

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/19 02:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RambleOnNW wrote:

I spotted just what I was looking for at a local rv company a few years ago. It is a compact power block with 2 cigarette lighter 12 volt outlets arranged vertically and 2 adjacent USB ports.

The block is attached to a right-angle 12-volt plug that plugs in the dash 12-volt cigarette lighter outlet. The block is close to the dash with all 4 outlets facing to the right. The plug is at the left edge so the block extends to the right from the dash 12-volt outlet. We have cell phones plugged into the USB ports and a TPMS receiver plugged into one of the 12-volt outlets.

I have not seen this online and the only color choice was camouflage.

Did some more looking and found this one at Amazon although the outlets would not be offset as far to the right as what we are using:12 volt splitter

I like the sleek design of the splitter, looks like it would help with the spaghetti of wires too

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/19 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the BLUE SEA series 12V power panels... I have one on each end of my trailer...

Sold by AMAZON... Many different layouts...

[image]

In my case where I needed to have 0ver 5A 12VDC service I installed a couple of the Blue Seas matching Plug and sockets unit.
[image]

Also in my case I needed an additional 12VDC service panel with additional fuse protection circuits... These SUB PANELS fit the bill perfect...
[image]

Roy Ken
[image]

* This post was edited 01/28/19 06:04am by RoyB *

whizbang

Kenmore, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/19 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The oldwizard nailed it.

Anderson power poles are the way to go.

Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

2manytoyz

Central FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/19 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's what I bought on Amazon:

BESTEK 3-Socket 200W 12V/24V DC Cigarette Lighter Power Adapter with 6A 4-Port Car USB Splitter Charger

Link: https://amzn.to/2WyBCbo

[image]

I also bought some 12V outlets, 3D printed a housing, and plan on installing these in several places in our motorhome.

[image]

Here's the source of these: https://amzn.to/2CSAeqT

Here it is mounted in the surface mount box I designed and 3D printed:

[image]

If you are interested, here are the 3D printer files: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3226893

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

suprz

rhode island

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/19 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2manytoyz wrote:

Here's what I bought on Amazon:

BESTEK 3-Socket 200W 12V/24V DC Cigarette Lighter Power Adapter with 6A 4-Port Car USB Splitter Charger

Link: https://amzn.to/2WyBCbo

[image]

I also bought some 12V outlets, 3D printed a housing, and plan on installing these in several places in our motorhome.

[image]

Here's the source of these: https://amzn.to/2CSAeqT

Here it is mounted in the surface mount box I designed and 3D printed:

[image]

If you are interested, here are the 3D printer files: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3226893

The top picture is very similiar to what I currently have. It works, but i just dont like all the wires hanging around. With everything plugged into it.

2manytoyz

Central FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/19 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

suprz wrote:

The top picture is very similiar to what I currently have. It works, but i just dont like all the wires hanging around. With everything plugged into it.

I'm able to tuck all the cords up under the dash in our Class A. Some things, like the GPS, gets moved to the Jeep once we park the motorhome. Otherwise, I'd hard-wire a number of devices, as I did in my F150.

suprz

rhode island

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/19 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2manytoyz wrote:

suprz wrote:

I'm able to tuck all the cords up under the dash in our Class A. Some things, like the GPS, gets moved to the Jeep once we park the motorhome. Otherwise, I'd hard-wire a number of devices, as I did in my F150.

I have thought about hard wiring the dash cam because i have routed that wire across the front up under the headliner, and down the A pillar, but i still have the 12 plug on the end.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/19 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

suprz wrote:

I have thought about hard wiring the dash cam because i have routed that wire across the front up under the headliner, and down the A pillar, but i still have the 12 plug on the end.
For my Scan Gauge-II mounted in the center rear view mirror area, I was able to work it with the connector by unsnapping the trim off the "A" pillar, and pull down the headliner enough. It did require some creative disassembly, but did work for me.

* This post was edited 01/29/19 03:01pm by ron.dittmer *

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> 12 volt accessories and outlets
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS