Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DirecTV 101 satellite

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
I received an email from
DirecTV informing me that I will be losing my local channels on my SD receivers. Which is no problem for me, since my King Quest locks in on the 101.

What I'm wondering about is, what will be on the 101? will it stay the same or will my SD access be limited or eliminated?
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARCOFLIDLAMSMTNVNMTNTXUTWYsm.jpg
26 REPLIES 26

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Right. He cannot watch HD. He can watch channels broadcast in HD downgraded to SD quality.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
So, that tells me that I can, indeed watch HD - I just can't watch it with HD quality...
Good spin.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
with the demise of the SD signal from DirecTV will these TV sets become boat anchors?
If you want to watch HD then yes.

I just tested it in my den - I've got a mini-genie connected to an old SD television, and the receiver is set to only show SD channels. I changed the setting so that HD channels are showing, and tuned to an HD channel - I was able to view the programming, albeit at SD quality. So, that tells me that I can, indeed watch HD - I just can't watch it with HD quality...
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
with the demise of the SD signal from DirecTV will these TV sets become boat anchors?
If you want to watch HD then yes.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
ChuckSteed wrote:
One item to be aware of is if you update your home to the โ€œlatest versionโ€ of Genie you will not be able to have other type receivers on the same account... you will be forced to create a separate account

We have a Genie in the living room, and a mini-genie in the den. When we're in the RV both receivers go with us...
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Not boat anchors (other than I think they have been boat anchors for many years) but they will still work. You just need an adapter to take the receivers HDMI output back to coax and you will have down converted to analog that the TV will be able to see.

We have a Genie and a mini-Genie - they have both HDMI and composite outputs so we're good for now! Buying new TVs is not in the budget currently!
Good Sam Member #566004

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
One item to be aware of is if you update your home to the โ€œlatest versionโ€ of Genie you will not be able to have other type receivers on the same account... you will be forced to create a separate account

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not boat anchors (other than I think they have been boat anchors for many years) but they will still work. You just need an adapter to take the receivers HDMI output back to coax and you will have down converted to analog that the TV will be able to see.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
A question that hasn't been addressed yet: many people are still using SD television sets - with the demise of the SD signal from DirecTV will these TV sets become boat anchors? Is Best Buy going to see a big surge in sales come March?
Good Sam Member #566004

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The H24 would be the HD replacement if you can get one. If you can't the H25 is the next best but every receiver numbered higher than H24 will require SWM and that's some wiring and a SWM8 switch between the receiver and the dome. I doubt your Datron will work with a newer receiver.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Retired JSO wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
If you don't have any of the really old standard def. receivers you will not hear from DTV.

We currently use a D-12 receiver and a g3 dome. What receiver will be plug and play as a replacement?

H24 but I don't what a g3 dome is.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was just on Facebook on one of my RV Topic's and someone posted something to the effect that March 1st was now a deadline. It had 75+ comments but as I was loading those comments, I lost it.

Anyways, I know SD is doomed and I do have older SD only receivers in the MH and one I use in the house on a separate single LNA dish. I also have the HD Dish, Rec/DVR and wireless client in home. My question if Sat 101 will be used still and my Domed (KD) will still work with an upgraded receiver, what entry level HD receiver would be the one that works or will that be determined later. I'm also wondering if my older Datron System being a single LNA dish utilizing only the 101 Sat will still work. It always been kind of hard to find compatible receiver for that system.

Finally, with an upgraded receiver, will that work on both the old Dish and the newer dish?(multi LNB). I suppose many of these questions will be answered sooner than later.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
If you don't have any of the really old standard def. receivers you will not hear from DTV.

We currently use a D-12 receiver and a g3 dome. What receiver will be plug and play as a replacement?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II