cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quebec City Attractions

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
We will be celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary this May and plan on going to Quebec City. We will not be camping so I don't need advice on where to stay (unless someone has hotel experience there) but are interested in "must sees". The plan is to stay within Old Quebec. We love history, architecture, nature, walking, and just slumming around. Thoughts or ideas appreciated!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]
8 REPLIES 8

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
I've been there a couple of times and really like it there. Our son in law is from there. A few random observations:
Having lived in English Canada since 1973, I had often been told of the negative reaction there to English speakers. So I tested this out by speaking in my naturally very bad French or pretending to have no French. Made no difference! Everyone was very helpful and patient, whether we were in the touristy 'Old City' or across the river in Levis, where less English was spoken.
In the Old City, I was amazed to see an old cannonball stuck in the roots of a tree. I can't remember if this was from the war with the French or when Canada was invaded, unsuccessfully I may add, from the south.
The other thing I noticed was the large number of places that sold, or maybe rented, Mediaeval costumes. Apparently, this is due to the large numbers of festivals that they hold there.
Probably for the same reason, there were many places that sold reproduction mediaeval weapons and also toy 'knights' ! It was fascinating to see.
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! Horse drawn carriage sounds like fun. Plains of Abraham sounds very interesting as well.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Probably our favorite city in North America....well maybe San Miguel in Mexico. Anyway, take your time. Lots to see.

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
We took the horse-drawn carriage ride around the old city - fun and informative!
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
We took the horse-drawn carriage ride around the old city - fun and informative!
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
Also look into the Catholic Basilica. If you like architecture, you will enjoy it. Take trip on the St. Lawrence. There is an old ferry boat converted to a dinner cruise You will get a great view of the Fairmont Le Château Frontenac, it also has unique architecture.

For a once in lifetime experience visit L'Amour restaurant( if it still exists). It is pricey at about $150/plate, but it is an entire evening, best enjoyed with a a few friends.
Dan

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
For your first visit a basic city guide will give you more than enough to keep you busy. Don't forget there is an upper and lower section to the city.

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Don't miss the Plains of Abraham where the fate of the continent was decided.
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006