Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How cold have you experienced?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How cold have you experienced?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
John Burke

North Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/19 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

-39 in a tent with wood burner. Stayed around 40-45 inside. Do not want it to warm when you spend most of the day outside.
-27 in a tent no heat. Stayed around -10 in the tent.
-35 in a snow cave, that got a little cool. Thank goodness for a good bag.
Those during my military time.
-29 in my old camper, pink foam board skirting, banked with snow. Below zero quite regular. After skirting did not use as much propane, 30lb would last about 8-9 nights.
Had it set up for pheasant hunting in the fall. Would go during the winter just for fun.

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/19 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In our Motorhome, while camping was low 20s. One winter, I did spend the night in the Motorhome when I couldn't find RV anti-freeze when it got down to the upper teens. In the Hybrid TT, the coldest was about 30 degrees. Our TV broke down, so we were stranded in the mountains of VA on our way home from Disney. All 3 beds were closed at night and we slept with the kids on the dinette and sofa, both folded down to beds.

In a tent, the coldest was single digits with about a foot of snow on the ground.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/19 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we go by a "historical interest site" a few times a year with this fact:

The coldest temperature recorded in the contiguous U.S. is 70 degrees below zero, measured at Rogers Pass, Montana, on Jan. 20, 1954.

Now, growing up in Montana there were winters where the high temp for a few days was -40F or lower, and the low in the -45F range.

But for camping, as a boy scout there were a few campouts below zero in tents,

For trailer camping, 15F or so the coldest we've been in.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/19 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"How cold have you experienced?"

-20F. Oh wait. That was in the walk-in freezer at a restaurant where I worked as a kid. Since then, as an adult human being on planet Earth, I just can't think of a reason I would like to ever be that cold again.

Chum lee

moebedick

Worcester,Ma

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/19 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About negative forty thousand degrees when my mother-in-law kissed me on the cheek unexpectedly. I still get the chills just thinking about it.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/19 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The news the other day was talking about RECORD LOW WIND CHILL of -38 in Detroit.. I've been in Downtown Detroit when it was so cold (-40) that the Transistors in my car's electronic ignition would not transist (as it were) and the car would not run.. I figured out later how I could have fixed it but. alas.. As it was I caught a ride home in a company car and came back the next day to fire it up. Note that -40 was not wind chill that was the dry bulb reading (Temp).

And 1.5 miles North of Detroit I was the parking lot attendant for an event when the wind chill was -40

ANd earlier before I moved to Detroit we had a -40 and then some night. (Saturday night) Sunday I went to church and Fr is giving his annual state of the parish speech.. Well for most all the history of this historic building they had never had to borrow money. but Consumer's power provided steam heat (for a fee) Consumers however decided to decommoission the steam plant so the church did have to borrow to build their own steam plant. Greyhound however set covetious eyes on some property the church owned that was not worth much to the church (Basically a way to wear out a lawn mower and a weed wacker) so a deal was cut and the loan paid off.. So the boilers are paid off.. DON'T WORK but they are paid off and like I said it hit -40 and then some the night before.> MAN WAS IT COLD.

That was Christmas by the way.

I've been

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/19 01:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I snowmobiled in at Hayward, Wisconsin during their coldest week on record. Temperatures varied from -10 to -39, but I rode more than 100 miles each day. The electric starters on the sleds wouldn't even click and they had to be rope started which was extremely difficult to pull.

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/19 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In an RV it was the low twenties. I did that just to see how it held up.

Cold weather camping is another story. A buddy & I would teach older scouts how to survive a two night campout in Rice Lake Wisconsin during the first week of February. We did that for ten years. No camp fires allowed. They built quinzhee huts to sleep in. If no snow we had tents & tarps. White gas stoves for cooking.

The coldest “official” temperature for one campout was -32F because that was as low as the base camp thermometer would go. It was a great time to camp in Wisconsin, no bears, no bugs.

2014 Leprechaun 290QB Chevy 6.0
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

K3WE

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/19 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

“We were scared but...”

Of what? Properly prepared have no fear. 15F up the the road from Tom’s place last week. Beautiful!

Valid to be scared of LP and battery consumption:-)

Per the OPs question, we’ve done several days of teens...heat is a good thing.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How cold have you experienced?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.