Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Buying a 1998 american tradition 40tvs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Buying a 1998 american tradition 40tvs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
FormerBoater

South Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/19 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I cannot imagine why this 98 Tradition would have the small block Cummins.

All 98 Americans were C8.3 side radiator Cummins with Allison 3060 six speed transmissions.

The single slide VS versions have a GVWR of 31,000 pounds and the C8.3 has plenty of power and is truly bullet proof mechanical engine.

If an engine replacement was needed it must have been due to poor maintenance. If a small block 5.9 was selected as a replacement, that must have been due to a thin wallet.

Having said all of the above, it may be that the seller is simply mistaken.

If it indeed powered by the small block, you can find another American of that vintage. If it were me, I would look for an Eagle in order to have a fiberglass roof, pantograph cargo doors (a la Prevost or a tour bus) and the generator on a slide.

98's were the last year of the mechanical C8.3....and they are sweet to their owners!

Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

mccoydetlef

CULPEPER VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/19 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thank you i have not seen the motor home yet but that was from the vin The vin also says its a spratan/alpine now what the odometer says 64k but the fax ck says 145k two years ago any ideas

1998 BETTY BOOP AMERICAN TRADITION

FormerBoater

South Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/19 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mccoydetlef wrote:

thank you i have not seen the motor home yet but that was from the vin The vin also says its a spratan/alpine now what the odometer says 64k but the fax ck says 145k two years ago any ideas

I would call Spartan on Monday with the VIN. They will be able to tell you exactly what engine was installed at their factory and I will be shocked if it was not the C8.3 engine.

Spartan built Mountain Master Chassis's for Alpine as well as many other builders so that is one possible explanation for the description. Again, Spartan will be able to tell you virtually anything once you supply them with the VIN.

Regarding the mileage, I do not have a clue, many states (including Florida) do not require the mileage to be noted on a title application for diesel powered vehicles....perhaps someone just put in a number but who knows.

mccoydetlef

CULPEPER VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/19 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

THANKS I am pulling my hair out to go ahead and get this motorhome but had it cked out by private garage needs work but all small stuff ask the garage to let me know what engine has not got back

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/19 02:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spartan has had problems with their speedos and it may have been replaced. Good luck with your quest.

BTW, I don't know when AC began using the "aluminum bottom" on their chassis, but it is worth checking out on this one to be sure. My 2000 has the typical tubular steel basement compartment structure. However, AC in their infinite wisdom covered the entire bottom with a sheet of aluminum. Unfortunately, aluminum doesn't play well with steel as it tends to corrode away and then road water gets inside the aluminum and rusts out the basement structure. This is a well known problem but again, I'm not sure if it applies to the 1998. Easy to check it out. Lay on the ground under the coach, look up and see if the covering is aluminum and if it has strips of corrosion which correspond to the steel tubes it is attached to.

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

mccoydetlef

CULPEPER VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/19 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info spartan said it was 8.3 with the vin waiting for the garage to call me back to verify

FormerBoater

South Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/19 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry cad wrote:

Spartan has had problems with their speedos and it may have been replaced. Good luck with your quest.

BTW, I don't know when AC began using the "aluminum bottom" on their chassis, but it is worth checking out on this one to be sure. My 2000 has the typical tubular steel basement compartment structure. However, AC in their infinite wisdom covered the entire bottom with a sheet of aluminum. Unfortunately, aluminum doesn't play well with steel as it tends to corrode away and then road water gets inside the aluminum and rusts out the basement structure. This is a well known problem but again, I'm not sure if it applies to the 1998. Easy to check it out. Lay on the ground under the coach, look up and see if the covering is aluminum and if it has strips of corrosion which correspond to the steel tubes it is attached to.

The 98's did not have the aluminum bottom .

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/19 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FormerBoater wrote:

larry cad wrote:

The 98's did not have the aluminum bottom .

Thank you. Wasn't sure.

mccoydetlef

CULPEPER VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/19 05:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brought the motorhome back from connecticut to virginia great trip smooth fast love it now cleaning it up to enjoy

RubyRV

Ft.Lauderdale

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the best coaches built in those years. I would have no concern over the engine size, its more the adequate for the coach. You cant choose a better engine then Cummins...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Buying a 1998 american tradition 40tvs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.