cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

San Antonio

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
How long would you plan on visiting here? What are your top picks? We are considering commuting from Johnson City instead of relocating. What do you think? Thanks!
18 REPLIES 18

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
The Alamo is now run by an agency of the state instead of The Daughters of the Republic of Texas. The intent of the state is to return the Alamo and grounds to as close as possible to what it was in 1836. I believe the state is buying up some of the tacky tourist shops on what was Alamo grounds.
So if you didn't care for the previous version of the Alamo, stand by it's changing.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
In Fredericksburg, the Museum of the Pacific War is one of the best military-history museums that I have seen. Even though we live about 70 miles to Fredericksburg, we have been to the Museum several times and seem to be able to find new information on each visit--and the local German food and beer is a plus.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
People do complain about the Alamo. I agree with BB_TX. It is only a small portion of what the mission was actually like. One must remember, it was not built in the middle of the town. The town grew up around it. Most mission churches were small, but that doesn't take away from the significance. That's why it's important to do the mission trail and see and experience what the Alamo was really like.

Years ago, we went to Alamo Village, north of Brackettville, Texas, which is where the movie set for the Alamo was created and, I assume, still exists today. It is no longer open to the public. That full-scale reproduction was so very impressive in putting it all into perspective. Even the land around it. . . it is out in the middle of no-where and it is easy to imagine Santa Anna's troops marching toward the compound. There is even a town there built to support other scenes for the movie. It's too bad the family who owns it chose to close it. . . it was truly remarkable. The church itself lies in ruins just as it would have after the battle.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed in Johnson city and I would do it again. Visited most of the sites previously mentioned. In SanAntonio. We also liked to visit fredrickburg, Johnson state and federal parks ( they are basically co located) you can also visit luckenback,( wonโ€™t take long). Also it is not too far from Johnson city to Austin.. like the hill country of Texas.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

campinginthewoo
Explorer
Explorer
Alamo is nice to see but it's been commercialized now. Didn't use to charge to get in and it was quiet inside and respected. I was there 2 years ago and it's was crowded and noisy but it was still neat to see living history. Enjoy San Antonio tower of America's has a observation deck (like Seattle space needle) the wildlife park is neat to drive thru and there's also naturalbridge caverns.
"Our family is a circle of love and strength.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger. "

charming
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
I continually hear people bad talking the Alamo.
------------------------------------------------

It is interesting but it is small.

I was pretty burned on on travel and touring by the time we hit San Antonio. The Alamo was somewhat crowded that day and I just wanted out. Putting my feelings aside, it is very well done, they try to limit the number of people actually entering the building so it is not incredibly overrun. The interpreters are good and there are a number of interesting displays, exhibits, and films in the building and in the out buildings. There are also regular ranger talks on the grounds.

I love museum gift shops, but I was disappointed in the gift shop at the Alamo, they were very proud of their merchandise (that is - very high prices for the items being sold).

We stayed at Traveler's World RV Resort. A good location south of the city with easy access to the Missions and downtown.
Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
We visited a couple years ago while camping at Guadalupe River SP. Rode bikes on the Mission Trail in the morning, then did the River Walk afterwards (ate lunch). We normally avoid the big city stuff on a RV trip, since we're from a large city but we had fun. Like others posted, traffic is pretty heavy there.

Guadalupe River SP was a great stop for us. 3 nights there, close to other attractions as well besides San Antonio, but we simply enjoyed swimming/floating in the river at the park the most.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Austin is closer and the LBJ library is there. College Station has the George H.W. Bush library and site of their burial.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
agesilaus wrote:

What remains is a small portion of what was there during the battle. And I think it can only be appreciated by those really interested in history, especially Texas history. You really have to study the overall exhibits to understand how it all played out. But then, it is something reverent to us native Texans.

Mission trail should be visited.
Riverwalk is nice for an hour or two and good places to eat.
Mercado is an interesting visit.
Buckhorn and Texas Ranger museum is a good visit.

Something over an hour drive, when no traffic issues, from J.C. to downtown. I would plan to drive down after morning rush hour. And stay until late evening after that rush hour. Do the riverwalk in the evening.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
I continually hear people bad talking the Alamo. (It's so small, It isn't interesting, etc.) If you appreciate history, you will enjoy it. The fact that it isn't interpreted like a Disney Theme park ride is a good thing in my mind. The fact that it is small makes the efforts of those defending the mission all the more remarkable.

Be sure to travel the mission trail and visit the other missions. We used the rent-a-bike kiosks and biked all along the river to the several missions. It made for a great day of history, exercise, site seeing and adventure.

The River walk is OK, but also get up on the main street level and experience some of the shops and history of the area there as well. There is plenty to see, and you can spend several days doing it.

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
If you commute from Johnson City that is on US281 expect heavy traffic to downtown from early am to mid morning and again the reverse in the afternoon starting around 3PM. Since most of the places of interest are in the center of the city(Alamo, Riverwalk, El Mercado) and south of downtown (Missions, bike trails), IMO I recommend staying closer to downtown. I live here so I don't have much experience in picking an appropriate RV Park. Have a great trip.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
If you go in the summer there is river floating (an all day event) and anytime there are surrounding cities that are great to camp and visit.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
If you like history, the mission trail is wonderful. There are five missions on the trail, all preserved quite well. They aren't very far apart, plan to see them all. The Alamo is one but it's the only one in town.

You can go here to see more: Mission Trail

or here: San Antonio Missions
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/