Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: San Antonio
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
RVcrazy

Port Orchard

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/19 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How long would you plan on visiting here? What are your top picks? We are considering commuting from Johnson City instead of relocating. What do you think? Thanks!

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/19 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Speaking as a casual visitor with no deep knowledge of the area. In the downtown there is the Riverwalk, which was somewhat rundown when we were there last and the Alamo. The Alamo is much smaller than you imagine it to be. One day will do both. There is also a Mission in that area which we have not visited and some other missions in the area if you are interested in them.

There is a SeaWorld there too which we visited with our son when he graduated from USAF boot camp, I'm not a Sea World aficionado but it seemed to be about the same as the one in Orlando.

I'm sure there are more things to see but we didn't.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

craig7h

Branson MO area

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/19 04:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were there a couple years ago, stop on our way back to the north. I found the Riverwalk to be over rated, maybe bad time of the year. The boat ride through it was ok. There are also a lot of shops and restaurants along the walk.

We had the best time at the drive thru wild animal park north of San Antonio. https://wildliferanchtexas.com/ you could drive through as many times as you like in a day. I would go back to it.

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/19 04:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HERE is a recent thread on San Antonio. Lots of good info.
Another older thread

Welcome to Texas and enjoy your stay

* This post was edited 01/31/19 06:05am by 2112 *

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

charming

Myrtle Beach

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/19 05:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We spent five nights in October and that was about right for us. Much of what we did was south of the city so we did not have to spend a lot of time driving. We took our bikes and did the three Missions south of us and we drove up to the mission closer to town. We did the River Walk (not impressed) and did the boat ride (city needs to seriously clean the river) the restaurants in the River Walk area are all tourist oriented. We visited the Alamo and toured the area around it. We met up with friends so we did not have time to go to the Mexican Market or the Buckhorn Hall of Fame.

Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.

Scottiemom

South Dakota/Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/19 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you like history, the mission trail is wonderful. There are five missions on the trail, all preserved quite well. They aren't very far apart, plan to see them all. The Alamo is one but it's the only one in town.

You can go here to see more: Mission Trail

or here: San Antonio Missions

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/19 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you go in the summer there is river floating (an all day event) and anytime there are surrounding cities that are great to camp and visit.

timandsusan

San Antonio, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/19 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you commute from Johnson City that is on US281 expect heavy traffic to downtown from early am to mid morning and again the reverse in the afternoon starting around 3PM. Since most of the places of interest are in the center of the city(Alamo, Riverwalk, El Mercado) and south of downtown (Missions, bike trails), IMO I recommend staying closer to downtown. I live here so I don't have much experience in picking an appropriate RV Park. Have a great trip.

dewey02

The Mid-South

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/19 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I continually hear people bad talking the Alamo. (It's so small, It isn't interesting, etc.) If you appreciate history, you will enjoy it. The fact that it isn't interpreted like a Disney Theme park ride is a good thing in my mind. The fact that it is small makes the efforts of those defending the mission all the more remarkable.

Be sure to travel the mission trail and visit the other missions. We used the rent-a-bike kiosks and biked all along the river to the several missions. It made for a great day of history, exercise, site seeing and adventure.

The River walk is OK, but also get up on the main street level and experience some of the shops and history of the area there as well. There is plenty to see, and you can spend several days doing it.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/19 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I continually hear people bad talking the Alamo.
------------------------------------------------

It is interesting but it is small.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS