cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford Excursion 2wd

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at a Excursion that has the V-10 and 2 WD. I had an Excursion before and it was 4 WD. When I had that vehicle we lived in snow country and it made sense. But where I live now winter is just rainy weather.
I tow a 6000 pound trailer and with my current pick-up I rarely use the 4 WD.
This is a low milage SUV in really nice shape at a fair price, I am tempted but not sure about the 2 WD.
What do you think?

Jesseannie
21 REPLIES 21

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Go for it. Here is the 2005 towing guide. Look at page 20. If it has 3.73s the 2wd has 400 pounds extra tow capacity vs the 4wd. If it has 4.30s tow rating is the same.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/2005_Towing_Guide.pdf
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
We owned a 4x4 X that was primarily used to tow our TT. I almost never took it out in the snow, opting instead for my FWD Taurus. 99.9% of the time it was driven in 2WD, the .1% was when I locked the hubs 1x per year to exercise the front axle.

A 2WD X with the V10 is an excellent choice. Don't fret over the lack of 4WD.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered my 2012 F250 so i could get 2 WD. If you think you need the 4X4 decal to run with the big dogs don't buy it.

It is what you need not what all the 4X4 gang think you need. Think about your past history of driving and what you needed the 4X4 for and go from there.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I had a conversion van that was 2WD never did I need 4WD with it. It had the limited slip rear axle though. With my 4WD Excursion I’ve only needed 4WD once in a site, it was a rainy week and the ground was like a sponge.

If it’s clean and you like it I wouldn’t pass it up because it’s 2WD.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
The 2wd will be much lower, have a shorter turning radius and have fully independent suspension in the front. With M/S tires and a Ltd Slip I never had any trouble in the snow. I did put some weight in the back one real bad snow storm. Went everywhere I needed to go. Go on and rust treat the inner rocker panels now. I didn't and they rusted out bad.
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
I can't wait until manufacturers discontinue the 2WD option so we no longer have these silly conversations. 2WD trucks and SUVs are such slow sellers these days the writing is on the wall.

Yeah, soon enough they will all be powered by 4 separate at-wheel electric motors. :B
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I can't wait until manufacturers discontinue the 2WD option so we no longer have these silly conversations. 2WD trucks and SUVs are such slow sellers these days the writing is on the wall.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I got stuck twice in 20 years of 2wd towing. Both times were in muddy parking lots at off road motorcycle races, both times I was tugged out no problem by someone nearby (most 4x4 owners are more than happy to pull people out, I've found). 4x4 may have helped me, but I've seen 4x4's get stuck too. And they are a lot harder to pull out because they tend to get stuck further in lol.

The upside of buying a used 2x4 Excursion is that not many people want them, so the resale upside of the 4x4 plays in your favor.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Newest Excursions are 14 years old. Are you sure that's what you want?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
jesseannie wrote:
My attitude now that I am mostly retired is that if I encounter snow on a trip I will head the other way or wait it out.

There's your answer. Buy the 2wd Excursion. Drive sensibly and enjoy.

I have had ALL 4 X 4 trucks since driving..

I do not tow with a 4x4 truck because I off road, I tow with one because .. YOU JUST NEVER KNOW>>>>

My truck doubles as my plow truck, with an 8'6" Fisher Pro Snow Plow on the front as we speak. Plowing is MUCH EASIER with 4x4

It's like insurance, the one time you need it, you will glad you have it.

I have used mine a few times either backing in or out of a site, and only once while driving...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
OP here I actually live in Southern Oregon now just haven't changed my location in my profile.
I know about MPG I owned an EXCURSION in a previous life.
My attitude now that I am mostly retired is that if I encounter snow on a trip I will head the other way or wait it out.
Off pavement camping is my biggest concern.

Jesseannie

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
If I didn't need a 4X4 at times I wouldn't have one.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing wrong with the 2WD. The X has survived more than a decade without it.

With 4x4 you just get stuck further.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~