cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Protective shield on a GMC Acadia

Don_and_Eileen
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2019 Acadia which the manual says is flat-towable.. What I can't seem to find an answer to is whether the use of a KarGard Protective Shield (Blue Ox) is OK . . . or not. Family RVing magazine (January 2019) includes a warning about use of a shield "in front of the grill" could cause transmission over-heating. GMC doesn't seem to know about this. Does anyone have a definitive answer?
Don and Eileen
4 REPLIES 4

Don_and_Eileen
Explorer
Explorer
As it turns out, the Kar Gard cannot be used on the GMC Acadia. Now, I find myself needing to return it sacrificing delivery costs and restocking fees.
Lesson learned. Investigate these purchases first.
I've been in touch with Blue Ox to see what else might work and they have nothing. The screen they show on their website is no longer manufactured. Just the replacement screen.
I'm investigating using a Roadmaster product, but not sure it'll work with Blue Ox.
Any other suggestions would be most welcome.
Thanks.
Don and Eileen

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Dinghy Towing forum from Towing.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
We use the Kargard without any issues to our Jeep. You could not drive the Toad with it even if you tried. It attaches to the Blue Ox tow bar not the Toad.

The only warning I give regarding the Kargard is that you cannot take tight turns while towing. I know this as we had an emergency turn (10,000 bridge not marked). We had to have the rear corners painted on the Dutchstar as the Kargard scratched them.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I do not have Blue Ox equipment, but looking at manual, it appears the Kargard must be removed to drive the AcadiaKargard
If you were to leave it on, I would be concerned about damaging it along with cooling issues.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker