cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3M film

sarhvac1
Explorer
Explorer
3M film on front of rig is starting to look like **** with what looks like mold underneath it.I had a quote from Diamond shield to remove and replace for a crazy amount of cash.. since then I've seen on 2 rigs the front was rhino lined to match the colors of the coach pretty close i know it will last a lifetime. looking for personal opinions on this... whats your take,,, YAY OR NAY ?? looks better than a bra to cover it up to me.
sarhvac1
08 Forest River Georgetown
18 REPLIES 18

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
sarhvac1 wrote:
sorry i was offline for a bit it is actually the rhino liner for truck beds they have the ability to color match 1 color just not multi color strips and such.

cool stuff. I guess we're talking about 2 different products, but similar. Anyway, ck out the Vortex coating products, it can't hurt.

sarhvac1
Explorer
Explorer
Tinstar wrote:
A tip that most folks don't know.

If you don't want to remove it but remove the mold so it won't show. Spray pure bleach on it let it sit overnight, spray it again the next day, and the next, and the next until it's gone. After the mold has disappeared, wax, wax, wax.

I know that sounds unconventional but it works. I know the 3M is probably cracked but it's the mold that makes it look so bad.

it doesn't have any cracks at all wonder if it will still get under to remove the mold ?
sarhvac1

sarhvac1
Explorer
Explorer
sorry i was offline for a bit it is actually the rhino liner for truck beds they have the ability to color match 1 color just not multi color strips and such.
sarhvac1

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
Sooner Schooner wrote:
I did mine using plastic razor blades, Goo Gone Pro-Power, and Turtle Wax polishing compound, with great results.I ordered the razor blades and bought the Goo Gone at Walmart. It takes the adhesive off very easily. It's too hard for me to post pictures on this site, so if you want to see my results send me your e-mail address. Just take your time and save lots of money.It's not a hard job.

Wow, great advice. Thanks.

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
I did mine using plastic razor blades, Goo Gone Pro-Power, and Turtle Wax polishing compound, with great results.I ordered the razor blades and bought the Goo Gone at Walmart. It takes the adhesive off very easily. It's too hard for me to post pictures on this site, so if you want to see my results send me your e-mail address. Just take your time and save lots of money.It's not a hard job.
2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
Chainwright wrote:
Executive wrote:
Chainwright wrote:
So just to clarify, the rhino covering that is being discussed here is not the black rhino skin that you see in the bed of trucks, this rhino finishing/coating has the same paint job/artistic pattern-designs as the original design (they just use/create a stencil from your design) of the rig. Once the paint job over that rhino skin is done, you don't even notice it unless you're 2-3 feet away from it.

Nope. The rhino covering is the same as the black rhino skin you see in the back of pickups. They can add some coloring to it but it works best if it's a dark color. Good stuff, but not my cup of tea...Dennis

I'm pretty sure the OP (sarhvac1) is talking about the Rhino skin I described. Had I not seen it with my own eyes I'd even give you the benefit of the doubt, but not in this case. sorry. I even got some literature, when I find it I'll post it.

So the stuff I was talking about, and I think the OP meant the same product, is called Vortex coating. Actually if you have 10-15 mins you can read all about it at

http://rvwanderlust.com/how-to-protect-the-front-of-your-rv

C20
Explorer
Explorer
I got a quote from ugly shield removal and it was $950, he said it took two people all day. He did a tiffin by us in Fort Myers and it looked awesome when he was done!

I'm going to get mine done next year, the motor home update for this year will be MCD shades or a new couch.
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
Chainwright wrote:
So just to clarify, the rhino covering that is being discussed here is not the black rhino skin that you see in the bed of trucks, this rhino finishing/coating has the same paint job/artistic pattern-designs as the original design (they just use/create a stencil from your design) of the rig. Once the paint job over that rhino skin is done, you don't even notice it unless you're 2-3 feet away from it.

Nope. The rhino covering is the same as the black rhino skin you see in the back of pickups. They can add some coloring to it but it works best if it's a dark color. Good stuff, but not my cup of tea...Dennis

I'm pretty sure the OP (sarhvac1) is talking about the Rhino skin I described. Had I not seen it with my own eyes I'd even give you the benefit of the doubt, but not in this case. sorry. I even got some literature, when I find it I'll post it.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Chainwright wrote:

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer

Chainwright
Explorer
Explorer
seems to be good stuff. An RV repair business owner put it on his 2004 Monaco, which he was selling at his business. Did a great job, he said he also covered the whole roof with it (approx 43 feet), so front and roof, $12K. You can't even tell it's rhino until you get 2-3 feet away from it. If money is no object Do it.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I inspected a rig with black rhino on it. Looked good and a lot easier than trying to get the 3M off. Should protect the fiberglass better too.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
A tip that most folks don't know.

If you don't want to remove it but remove the mold so it won't show. Spray pure bleach on it let it sit overnight, spray it again the next day, and the next, and the next until it's gone. After the mold has disappeared, wax, wax, wax.

I know that sounds unconventional but it works. I know the 3M is probably cracked but it's the mold that makes it look so bad.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
About $3k to remove the 3M and replace it with Diamond Shield. If they're/you're careful with removal, touch up may not be necessary. High humidity causes the mold to grow under the shield...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG