cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Teeth

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I have 2 dachshunds. Both females. One, weighing 7 pounds and long pointed face has cavities on the 2 top front of her mouth and the teeth are very small. I estimate the width of the 2 teeth are no more than 5/16th of an inch. Will be making an appointment Monday to have them taken care of. The wife is already distraught because she will be put to sleep.

What are our options? Will the Vet. try to fill them or pull them? Overnight stay? Possibly stitches.

Here is the dilemma. They are twins, 3 1/2 years old and have never been away from each other except when they bring them back one at a time for nail clipping, shots and checkups. At that time the other one whines until they are back together and then they kiss and lick each others mouth and are highly active. Final trip outside before bed is on a leash and while the second one is waiting the other barks and whines. Please save me a tongue lashing from their lack of training and discipline.:B

We are concerned that an overnight stay would create much anxiety for both. If she is kept overnight there will not be anyone with her. We would like to bring her home and return when a followup is done. Is that possible?

We lost our wonderful Ouiser in 2015 after 14 1/2 years and when we got these the DIL named them Bleu and Belle after Blue Bell ice cream.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
18 REPLIES 18

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Cooper has his dental 2-21-19 no food or water after midnight, probably why some vet's have you bring them in the night before.

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
Our Vet always wants us to bring our dog in the night before for dental. Our little one has never stayed over night with out us. I always insist on bringing her in the morning of the procedure. Just need to take her food and water away at recommended time.

She goes in on the 25th of this month for her dental. She may loose a couple of teeth. At her check up last week our Vet said it looked like she had a few that looked a little bad.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Charlie D. wrote:
Wife and I have 2 dachshunds. Both females. One, weighing 7 pounds and long pointed face has cavities on the 2 top front of her mouth and the teeth are very small. I estimate the width of the 2 teeth are no more than 5/16th of an inch. Will be making an appointment Monday to have them taken care of. The wife is already distraught because she will be put to sleep.

What are our options? Will the Vet. try to fill them or pull them? Overnight stay? Possibly stitches.

Here is the dilemma. They are twins, 3 1/2 years old and have never been away from each other except when they bring them back one at a time for nail clipping, shots and checkups. At that time the other one whines until they are back together and then they kiss and lick each others mouth and are highly active. Final trip outside before bed is on a leash and while the second one is waiting the other barks and whines. Please save me a tongue lashing from their lack of training and discipline.:B

We are concerned that an overnight stay would create much anxiety for both. If she is kept overnight there will not be anyone with her. We would like to bring her home and return when a followup is done. Is that possible?

We lost our wonderful Ouiser in 2015 after 14 1/2 years and when we got these the DIL named them Bleu and Belle after Blue Bell ice cream.

Belle saw the Vet. today. He said that the gums are good, none of the other teeth have any issue,all teeth are tight, no plaque or gingivitis, no pain and he recommended we wait a little longer before doing anything. Felt she had the same cause as Dr. Doug did. Perhaps something caused a crack in the tooth and/or something affected the enamel.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dachshunds are high on the list for bad teeth. Regular cleanings will help them keep them and I would do that if you can. We have had 4 little dogs, all 4 with crowded teeth and all 4 had dentals. Never had any stay all night. Our current dog is flat faced and 14, so required a little more care when putting her under, had 6 teeth removed , big molars and required stitches, but she came home approx 6 hrs post surgery with a supply of antibiotics and pain meds.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
Maybe it's the shape of that one's teeth, just like humans, that causes that area to hold food in/between them. We had a dachshund that lost all 4 of those little front teeth but the other teeth were still healthy. Maybe something with that pointed nose breed.

I have thought of that. The teeth appear to be very crowded.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe it's the shape of that one's teeth, just like humans, that causes that area to hold food in/between them. We had a dachshund that lost all 4 of those little front teeth but the other teeth were still healthy. Maybe something with that pointed nose breed.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
winnietrey wrote:
I would say this, when it is us, or ours, we all tend to worry to much. At least I do. But I tend to forget, for the vet, it is just another day at the office. They have done it a thousand times, and could do it in their sleep.

Our older dog had a busted canine, that needed to be pulled, and I had the same concerns as you. But all went well, to the vet no big deal. To us it was though.
So I would say no worries, all will go well.

Thank you. When dealing with our Quiser and now the two we have I sometimes think of how they have become part of the family and we treat them as our children. Unlike Ouiser we do not let them sleep with us.:)
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
I would say this, when it is us, or ours, we all tend to worry to much. At least I do. But I tend to forget, for the vet, it is just another day at the office. They have done it a thousand times, and could do it in their sleep.

Our older dog had a busted canine, that needed to be pulled, and I had the same concerns as you. But all went well, to the vet no big deal. To us it was though.
So I would say no worries, all will go well.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Charlie D. wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
I think your questions would be better asked to your veterinarian rather than an internet forum!

There is almost always an answer like this when someone posts a question asking about their experiences. No information yet judgmental.:S

And for good reason. Just the other day someone asked about if it was a good idea swapping around their heart meds on here lol. Who would you listen too? A cardiologist or a geezer on an RV board. I get a kick over the insurance questions personally, where a person who lives in downtown Los Angeles gives pricing advice to someone who lives in Backwater Maine 50 miles from the nearest town.

That was not my question. I agree with some of the response you made but I was not asking about meds or recommendations. I asked about experiences from those who had dogs with teeth removals.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:
We just about never had a dental procedure animal stay over night. Cavities are rarely filled in dogs, I suspect the teeth will be extracted.

Issues in dogs this young sometimes reflect a problem during the development of the teeth, way before they erupt. Sometimes fever, medications, diet will make the dental development abnormal resulting in defective weakened enamel.

As far as sedation/anesthesia at this age, I understand the worry, but a healthy animal at this age is in the best shape of his life and is better able to handle this procedure. My advice, keep a reasonable perspective about potential problems.

Doug, DVM

Thank you so much for your information. Their diet is a hard quality food supplemented with an occasional teaspoon of canned wet added. Sister has no cavities and this one has no other issues. Both have clean teeth with no evidence of tarter or other build up.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

dturm
We just about never had a dental procedure animal stay over night. Cavities are rarely filled in dogs, I suspect the teeth will be extracted.

Issues in dogs this young sometimes reflect a problem during the development of the teeth, way before they erupt. Sometimes fever, medications, diet will make the dental development abnormal resulting in defective weakened enamel.

As far as sedation/anesthesia at this age, I understand the worry, but a healthy animal at this age is in the best shape of his life and is better able to handle this procedure. My advice, keep a reasonable perspective about potential problems.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
She has access to different types of chews and spends at least 1 hour chewing daily.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Charlie D. wrote:
DownTheAvenue wrote:
I think your questions would be better asked to your veterinarian rather than an internet forum!

There is almost always an answer like this when someone posts a question asking about their experiences. No information yet judgmental.:S

And for good reason. Just the other day someone asked about if it was a good idea swapping around their heart meds on here lol. Who would you listen too? A cardiologist or a geezer on an RV board. I get a kick over the insurance questions personally, where a person who lives in downtown Los Angeles gives pricing advice to someone who lives in Backwater Maine 50 miles from the nearest town.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:

Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan