cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Steering Linkage Recall - HD Ram

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I literally had my truck in last week to clean up some more recalls on it. Then this morning my Ram app notifies me that I have yet another recall. Problem with the steering linkage, apparently. No parts available yet. It says 2013-2017 models so my assumption is this will hit all the HD models with the Gen 4 front suspension.

This is the one significant black eye on my Ram. I get that recalls happen, even our Honda Pilot has had two of them (2010 model). This is now 6 recalls and 2 "campaigns". Only one has actually caused me any trouble but that's still ridiculous. I have better things to do than take my truck back to the dealership to fix recalls.

Rant over.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB
67 REPLIES 67

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Found this on another forum.

"I just replaced my tie rod and Drag link with the Synergy setup and wow, what a difference! I had ordered the parts from Ram but then they said they weren't able to sell them to me about a week prior to this recall being released. So my only other option was the synergy kit. I couldn't be happier! I nearly took a shop to court for not properly tightening my drag link when the recall was released. My steering was soo horrible because the drag link nut came loose and the adjuster was completely stripped inside. New front tires are practically destroyed and now comes the fun part of trying to get Ram to reimburse my repairs...yay!"

Well that sounds like a reason to replace it !!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Found this on another forum.

"I just replaced my tie rod and Drag link with the Synergy setup and wow, what a difference! I had ordered the parts from Ram but then they said they weren't able to sell them to me about a week prior to this recall being released. So my only other option was the synergy kit. I couldn't be happier! I nearly took a shop to court for not properly tightening my drag link when the recall was released. My steering was soo horrible because the drag link nut came loose and the adjuster was completely stripped inside. New front tires are practically destroyed and now comes the fun part of trying to get Ram to reimburse my repairs...yay!"
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

The Ram recalls and the warranty approval red tape is what pushed my cousin back to the Ford dealer last year.

OH good, no more BS reports from your cousin! Now it will just be your wife's hair dresser's son's wife who's brother is an ACE RAM mechanic.

Just so you know both shops are the same dealership that are separated by a parking lot.

I'm guessing FORD pays MUCH more for a cab removal than RAM does for a water pump swap. :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
To the PMs...answering it here

What going beyond Plastic and into yield means...

Fasteners stretch to hold things together. Like pinching two pieces of sheetmetal together with your fingers, or pliers, etc

Staying within the fasteners plastic limits/ratings...it will go back to it's original when the nut is backed off

When going beyond it's plasticity point...it goes into yield. Meaning it will stretch too far and will NOT snap back to it's original length

Also means, say a grade 8 bolt, when tightened (torqued) beyond its plastic limit/rating...it will stretch and become less than a grade 8 fastener. How much lower depends on a few things. Like the size/length/amount of over torque/etc. Might to down to a grade 5...grade 3...or even less if stretched beyond it's limit/ratings enough

This application is NOT a bolt, but the above laws of physics still applies. The threads on the rod and jam nut can still be over torqued...to then lose it's 'grade' rating

Then it has less holding power vs vibration and other forces...that will have it back off over time.

Think that is why they have it welded after checking...or replacing the whole thing...

Might be that the production floor torque wrenches were not adjusted to the correct torque, the designers spec'd out the wrong torque...and my guess is that the torque wrench was not check and re-calibrated or something like that
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

The Ram recalls and the warranty approval red tape is what pushed my cousin back to the Ford dealer last year.

OH good, no more BS reports from your cousin! Now it will just be your wife's hair dresser's son's wife who's brother is an ACE RAM mechanic.

Well , 11 recalls on my 2014 Ram 3500, thats an average of one every six months , itโ€™s getting a little redundant . Two of them still need to be done. If you have any doubt, Iโ€™d be more then happy to list them.

Fish, has a point, but being the fanboy you are thatโ€™s a tough pill to swallow.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Just so you know both shops are the same dealership that are separated by a parking lot.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Cry me a river! BooHoo, I have taken mine in twice for recalls. Big whoop.

I am thrilled with the fit, finish, quality and dependability of my 15 with 64k on it.

Cool story.

I like my truck too. Would definitely buy again if in hindsight.

Itโ€™s not perfect, though. Not sure why guys like you think certain brands $hit rainbows and can do no wrong. These things are mechanical items and none are perfect. 8 recall items in 4 years is too much.

Again, wouldnโ€™t undo the buy but I can be a little frustrated with some shortcomings. This isnโ€™t Ford 6.0 or 6.4 level stuff, just frustrating.

Because as a fanboy he is emotionally invested into Ram/Cummins products and anything taken as a negative attack toward these brands is taken personally. They also don't like other owners pointing out negatives because that means that their favorite is not perfect.

I am with you though. I love my truck, but the recalls and other small things is a bit much.

Also think about the techs who's bottom line get screwed when having to deal with these safety recalls and the service writers who have to deal with the pizzed customer when they tell them there's no parts to perform the fix so schedule another trip.

I love my truck too... The biggest concern I have at the moment is do I give it a wash job today or not.

It depends on the recall whether a tech wins or not. Some can make a killing if there is not too much involved and can do multiple trucks at a time. One of our techs was making a killing on one of our Navistar recalls since he was able to do five trucks at a time and it paid .25 hours(15 minutes) so 15 minutes netted him an hour and fifteen minutes of pay.

I would wager that the people I know who had the same truck as you wished they had your experiences. Three of them, including my brother, were either about to have or did have HPFP failure. Kind of sucks for my brother because he was religious about changing the fuel filter and getting his fuel from Shell or Exxon when he could do to his own friends having the same issues.

The Ram recalls and the warranty approval red tape is what pushed my cousin back to the Ford dealer last year. There's absolutely no money to be made in these recalls and you have to give them your due diligence since your name is attached to the initial inspection and work.

I know quite a few people with these Super Duty's and all of them have been really good except for the common problems like EGT sensors and DEF heaters (in which mine just had the warranty extended) on the earlier models.

I also have a friend at work that I had to drop him off at the Ram dealer to get his door handle replaced on a brand new truck. This happened on a lunch trip.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
AW, never mind it aint worth my breath.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bird Freak wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Simple FACT, unless BOTH nuts come loose it can'e start to separate and come loose!
Not completely true. If one nut comes loose it can allow the threads to wallow out and strip allowing that end to come out over time.

Anything is possible. Would like to see what actually has happened. Bottom line make sure your "NUTS" are tight!!!

Flashman
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
There is another "torque" issue and IMHO think they were OVER torqued....which means the metal went past plastic and into yield...meaning they will NEVER hold, as the metal is no longer as strong as before the over torque

Nothing else makes sense to me

That may be it. I couldn't figure out what they were saying until this reason.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
There is another "torque" issue and IMHO think they were OVER torqued....which means the metal went past plastic and into yield...meaning they will NEVER hold, as the metal is no longer as strong as before the over torque

Nothing else makes sense to me
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Flashman
Explorer
Explorer
Say it ain't so!

Already

https://www.trucks.com/2019/02/07/ford-recalls-2019-ranger-transmission-shifting-defect/

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Cry me a river! BooHoo, I have taken mine in twice for recalls. Big whoop.

I am thrilled with the fit, finish, quality and dependability of my 15 with 64k on it.

Cool story.

I like my truck too. Would definitely buy again if in hindsight.

Itโ€™s not perfect, though. Not sure why guys like you think certain brands $hit rainbows and can do no wrong. These things are mechanical items and none are perfect. 8 recall items in 4 years is too much.

Again, wouldnโ€™t undo the buy but I can be a little frustrated with some shortcomings. This isnโ€™t Ford 6.0 or 6.4 level stuff, just frustrating.

Because as a fanboy he is emotionally invested into Ram/Cummins products and anything taken as a negative attack toward these brands is taken personally. They also don't like other owners pointing out negatives because that means that their favorite is not perfect.

I am with you though. I love my truck, but the recalls and other small things is a bit much.

Also think about the techs who's bottom line get screwed when having to deal with these safety recalls and the service writers who have to deal with the pizzed customer when they tell them there's no parts to perform the fix so schedule another trip.

I love my truck too... The biggest concern I have at the moment is do I give it a wash job today or not.

It depends on the recall whether a tech wins or not. Some can make a killing if there is not too much involved and can do multiple trucks at a time. One of our techs was making a killing on one of our Navistar recalls since he was able to do five trucks at a time and it paid .25 hours(15 minutes) so 15 minutes netted him an hour and fifteen minutes of pay.

I would wager that the people I know who had the same truck as you wished they had your experiences. Three of them, including my brother, were either about to have or did have HPFP failure. Kind of sucks for my brother because he was religious about changing the fuel filter and getting his fuel from Shell or Exxon when he could do to his own friends having the same issues.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS