cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fishing and sightseeing trip in Ontario

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Exchange rate is about 131.00 to 100.00 US so maybe this late June or early august a trip to do some fishing and local sightseeing and antique shopping.
Looking for short while in Ontario we find several RV Parks/Resorts with rates from 25.00 to 35.00 per night but no idea where these places are, except...a couple say near Lake Erie.
Would prefer to fish Lake Huron or Erie but not with inner ear problem, any more.
One reason we are looking at Ontario is driving range and fuel, trying to keep all cost manageable. If we fuel up at or before the Suwon't have to buy any diesel sky high I know right there but just top off the tank.
A lot of RVers here do this every year so what about cost of fishing licenses etc for at least a week or two and boat rentals etc on smaller rel productive waters etc and hopefully not too far from some nice places to eat, that are less than 25.00 a plate and sights and antique shops or anything that most RVers are looking for.
I know Google is my friend but Folks that do this each year have the real information on many different parks and fishing spots etc.
Last time we were in Ontario we parked our Mh at Port Huron and drove across...and found out nothing was open on Mondays and drove a hundred miles to the next small city and absolutely nothing open there or anything to do in a day. 2011 I think.
10 REPLIES 10

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
double post

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We've been through Windsor many times but not in the last 6 years or so.
We camped at a KOA or rather tired to good way north of the Sue. We could not open our slides in the spaces they had.
Fishing well my idea is Walleye, Pike and Trout. On Huron in Ontario we had reservations an a boat but when we got there someone else had it. That was in the 70s.
We camped on a beach on Superior, right off the road back then after turning toward Thunder Bay.
Over time I have looked for that place on the Internet. Apparently it no longer exist.
At Thunder Bay we paid about double once the itimized bill for water, electricity, using AC and so on were added up with a generous amount for taxes at the KOA. We were assured we would fit in to the RV spaces of the Boundry Waters Canoe area in Canada. When we got there w manged to get back out without scrapping but no way we could get into the spaces they said we could. That was f350 an 32ft Fifth Wheel. Would like to go there again if the spaces will now handle out Mh.
Though paddling a canoe which I've done many a time is now a problem for me.
Last great trip up there we ended up leaving Thunder Bay and crossing on railroad tracks which is the wy they sent RVs just before a train crossed and only leaving a bit of paint on a big yellow bollard. That was near International Falls.
Stayed at fantastic campground in Minnesota and fished for a week for Walleye. Caught several and a few Sauger and Sugeye. The other half of the lake was Canadian and where they were really catching the big ones...but it would have been an exceptionally long drive to go back across to buy a Canadian License our permits being expired.
We made some friends while staying at a modest motel, the only one available near Huron's shore one year. For three days we tried to find a charter or boat to rent. Same situation at Port Huron an sout. Scarce as hens' teeth.
We've stayed at a resort east of Wawa and ha a great time one year. No RV back then.
Our trouble is we have or ha so many things to do we have always been on the run and unable to sit in one place for any time or find what we want.
So we like any kind of fishing We fish for trout quite often in Appalachian streams often in. She catches all the fish unles I go by myself.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
check out of province fishing licenses they wont be cheap. pay attention to the MNR website for whats open in the area you are looking at at that time. bass will be closed most of the province until end of june. other restrictions will apply.

expect rv parks and campgrounds to be more like 50 a night

Eerie and Huron are both huge. not something you will want to do in a rented boat. hire charters or find smaller lakes. You will have better luck north of Toronto for this. Also boat rentals can be scares. make sure you find one before you chose a destination or bring your own boat. (a canoe is a beautiful thing on a small secluded lake)

good luck. you have lots of narrowing down to do. post back as you learn what you want and we will help any way we can.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And hockey equipment is 2-3x the price in the US!
Only 2 things in Canada that are cheap are hockey and healthcare!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
owenssailor wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
The US$ to C$ exchange rate is negated by the cost of the same stuff up here. We regularly shop cross border, and something that costs US$1 will cost up to 2 to 3 times as much up here. Reasons are all the taxes (got to pay for the "free" healthcare somehow) and just plain greed. It can be very expensive to travel in Canada, and it's not just the cost of gas/diesel.

We do not find that items are 2 to 3 times the US cost.

We've found that groceries, breads, and dairy, clothing and shoes, and other general merchandise is more expensive for the same product up here and the range can be 2 to 3 times as much. Half and half cream is US$1.88 per litre - same stuff up here C$3.99, as an example. Wal-Mart men's T-shirt US$4.44 - same shirts here C$15. Nike shoes 2X the US price here. We've found that the forex advantage is often eaten up by the price differences. Your mileage has apparently varied.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:
The US$ to C$ exchange rate is negated by the cost of the same stuff up here. We regularly shop cross border, and something that costs US$1 will cost up to 2 to 3 times as much up here. Reasons are all the taxes (got to pay for the "free" healthcare somehow) and just plain greed. It can be very expensive to travel in Canada, and it's not just the cost of gas/diesel.

We do not find that items are 2 to 3 times the US cost.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
and found out nothing was open on Mondays and drove a hundred miles to the next small city and absolutely nothing open there or anything to do in a day.

Priceless! Looks like you came on a long weekend, when in Ontario, almost everything closes down! 🙂
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Tripalot wrote:
Something to keep in mind regarding fuel costs - in US diesel usually costs +/- 30 cents per gallon more than regular fuel. In Ontario, there is only about 1 or 2 cent difference in the price.

Can't help with fishing ideas/costs. We stopped drowning worms years ago.

Wow. Where do you buy your diesel?
Around here (Lambton County) when gas is around $0.80/L, diesel is around $1.09/L. It's always at least a 30 cent difference.
Across the border when gas is US$2.09/gallon (Sam's Club), the diesel (elsewhere) is US$2.59/gallon, if you can find it at that price.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Something to keep in mind regarding fuel costs - in US diesel usually costs +/- 30 cents per gallon more than regular fuel. In Ontario, there is only about 1 or 2 cent difference in the price.

Can't help with fishing ideas/costs. We stopped drowning worms years ago.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer