Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Light-weight rugged 4x4 4-down "convertible" options

charles7a
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I am looking for light-weight rugged 4x4 4-down "convertible" (removable top) options for towing behind a Sprinter diesel (bluetec V6) class C motor-home.

So far, it seems like it comes down to Daihatsu Rocky's, Suzuki Samurai's and Jeep Wrangler's (YJ:1986-1995 or TJ:1996-2006).

Listed by weight (lightest to heaviest):
1) Suzuki Samurai
2) Daihatsu Rocky
3) Jeep Wrangler YJ (1986-1995)
4) Jeep Wrangler TJ (1996-2006 - near the limit of my motor-home’s towing capacity)

Are there any other options I missed? Pros/cons between the four choices? Personal experience(s)?

Thank you in advance!

-Charles
9 REPLIES 9

charles7a
Explorer
Explorer
Parts availability and resale value is what steered me towards the TJ. That and my wife had always wanted a Jeep Wrangler...

Now I am putting together the pieces needed to tow it.

I bought a used EvenBrake 9400. It came with the monitor, but the monitor was stolen an hour after I bought the EvenBrake. My fault. I left it on the curb by accident while loading the main EvenBrake. It was gone by the time I realized I didn’t load it. I also have to order the transmitter and breakaway system for it.

I still need to buy a tow bar for it and a light kit. My TJ has an aftermarket bumper which should help. I’m not sure I am comfortable wiring into the Jeep’s lighting, so I may get the magnetic lights.

I am a complete newbie to towing a dingy!

Y-Guy
Congrats! One great thing about the TJ is there are still tons of parts available for it!

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

charles7a
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the feedback/advice! I wound up getting a Jeep Wrangler TJ. I did consider this particular Daihatsu Rocky: https://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/d/91-lifted-rocky/6789160248.html

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
charles7a wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for light-weight rugged 4x4 4-down "convertible" (removable top) options for towing behind a Sprinter diesel (bluetec V6) class C motor-home.

So far, it seems like it comes down to Daihatsu Rocky's, Suzuki Samurai's and Jeep Wrangler's (YJ:1986-1995 or TJ:1996-2006).

Listed by weight (lightest to heaviest):
1) Suzuki Samurai
2) Daihatsu Rocky
3) Jeep Wrangler YJ (1986-1995)
4) Jeep Wrangler TJ (1996-2006 - near the limit of my motor-home’s towing capacity)

Are there any other options I missed? Pros/cons between the four choices? Personal experience(s)?

Thank you in advance!

-Charles

If your motorhome can handle pulling 3740 lbs. I would highly recommend the Jeep TJ. We've been towing our 2004 since 2005. It's been towed over 140,000 miles, but only has been driven 60,000 miles. So far the only maintenance has been new shocks, new u joints, regular oil and transmission changes, a couple sets of tires, and a couple tune ups.

We bought it specifically to tow behind the motorhome. It seemed we were towing our Buick across the country several times a year only to leave it at the campground when we rented a Jeep for off roading.

Ours is the Sport model and it rides like a typical Jeep.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know your weight limit but older Toyota 4Runners had removable hard tops.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Samuaris are lighter. Geo Trackers are identical to Suzuki Sidekick.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Trackers, Geo Trackers have independent suspension which makes ride much smoother then Samurais.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Suzuki or Geo twin would be my choice. Light, cheap, easy to work on, and a lot of fun. There are a few places that are doing Toyota motor conversions. That takes the worry about an orphan out of the mix.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Chev Tracker and Suzuki Geo version

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker