Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Lifestyle: Snow birding or why?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Snow birding or why?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/19 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here in MI today, the expected high is 51. Low tonite, 18 degrees. Freezing rain at some point along the way.

Yeah...

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

jffnkrn

peoria

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well for all the cold area living folks, Bless you. We need to keep the world balanced and from tipping over. WE are in the southwest, Arizona. Some hate the heat, I love it. When it gets too hot, we pack er up leave and go to your areas and enjoy the beautiful country areas wherever the weather is great. So to all, just go, travel, enjoy and be You! ! ! Safe Travels.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Not me. Bad weather depresses me, so I'm constantly thinking about how nice it would be to be in warm sunshine.

Same here and X2 on that!

I was raised in Michigan in a poorly insulated old house and slept in an unheated bedroom with snow on the INSIDE of the window sill next to my bed. I learned all about shoveling snow, chipping ice, hunting in the cold, getting almost stranded on the ice floe while ice fishing, dealing with dead batteries, and having to stop along the road with a radiator that was frozen solid. Finally I was rescued via an opportunity to leave Michigan for California when I was 19 and have never looked back politically, environmentally, socially, economically, or weatherly.

Living in the particular place where we do here in CA, we don't have a tremendous need to have to escape for long periods of time in our RV to other places in order to get decent weather, natural beauty, or serenity. For short periods (our longest RV trip has been about 10 weeks) we do enjoy seeing other beautiful and serene warm places a few times a year ... but to do it with RV trips from a home base that is also pleasant most times of the year.

However, our few weeks of grey skies and rain in mid-winter can still be depressing. To help with this, the DW and myself sometimes sleep out in the backyard in our heated RV so we can hear the pitter-patter of rain on the roof while having sweet dreams of our next short trip!

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never lacked for projects to work on while traveling with our motorhome, so we don't miss dealing with the cold upstate NY weather at all. When our daughters tell us they just cleaned the snow off the roof at our Adirondack cottage, we just smile and say thank you! [emoticon]

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Roy&Lynne

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We all have different likes and dislikes, thank God.

Our Road Less Traveled

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even though I love winter in Michigan (and am somewhat impervious to cold weather), Ed HATES winter. And my poor old back really doesn't need to shovel more snow. So I am typing this from mid-Florida, where the sunshine is like the Fountain of Youth. Aside from missing the family (who happily come and visit every winter so they can take a break from the cold and gray) - I'm pretty good about ignoring any obligations back home (or I can handle them via internet/phone)

charming

Myrtle Beach

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/19 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NOt actually snow birds. We don't have super harsh winters normally. One hard freeze and we're usually done.

We are leaving Friday for three months and I wonder how folks prepare their homes. I worry about the cold weather we might have in late February and Early March. I have the pool pump adjusted and if a hard freeze is projected I will call and have the timer changed. We will turn off the water heater. It is located in an unheated space behind the spare freezer and refrigerator. We have the Nest thermometers so we can control the temperature inside.

There is just so much more to worry about leaving in the winter than other times of the year. However, by not returning until May we will be having to have someone take care of the lawn in addition to watching the pool. Do people use an all in one service? These are things we normally maintain ourselves.

Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Snow birding or why?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS