cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sewer smell

Elwoodj
Explorer
Explorer
I need help to eliminate a sewer smell coming from the sliding door area going upstairs in our fifth wheel. The door is on the opposite side of the toilet. There are no leaks. I have looks underneath in the storage area and still cannot find the source.
Elwood & Kathy
36' CK3 Mobile Suite - 2006
2004 Dodge Ram Cummins 6 speed
HO 600 373
16 REPLIES 16

Jimbee
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps it's just "leftovers" in the black tank. Put a few gallons of water in the tank with chemicals and see if the odor disappears after a few hours.

CabinetmakerII
Explorer
Explorer
We had a similar issue of an odor we could not find the source. Turned out to be a leaking black water valve. It was leaking onto the underbelly space but not enough to get beyond the barrier and onto the ground. Once the valve was replaced the odor was gone.
Cabinetmaker

2021 DRV 39 DBRS3
2017 F-450 4X4, Riece 24K Hitch
2011 F-450 4X4, Companion 18K Hitch, Air Bags (Retired)
2012 Cyclone 3800, 5th Airborne Kingpin (Retired)
2018 Polairs 1000 XP Side by Side

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
We also had a battery cell short out. Same SO-2 (Sulfur Dioxide) smell.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

scouser
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
you have a lot of good tips to check out, we had a similar thing and could not find anything a miss, so was going to drop the tank thinking there may have been a bad seal around the vent pipe connection or maybe a hole/crack on the top of the tank! anyway it turned out to be the batteries were boiling dry and was giving off septic type smell new batteries solved the odor.....Just saying!

Good Luck
CHEERS..... MAL & IRENE

2011 Cameo 32FWS
2005 Dodge 3500 DRW/4x2
2003 Yamaha VStar 1100 Custom

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Does your model have the washer hookup? If so, make sure if not being used the drain's cap is still on.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
RollandB wrote:
We had the same type of steel in the kitchen area caused by a faulty air admittance vent under the sink. Replaced it, smell was gone.

Same for us. Air admittance valve - Home Depot
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
RollandB wrote:
We had the same type of steel in the kitchen area caused by a faulty air admittance vent under the sink. Replaced it, smell was gone.

^^^^^This is, IMO, the #1 cause of sewer smell inside, after nearly 15 years of reading this forum. Followed by blocked vents and vent pipes that have dropped into the tank.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

JusBud
Explorer
Explorer
I know you said you checked for leaks but it doesn't take much to get that smell.
Gray tanks need to be cleaned too or else they'll get the same smell

MudChucker
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a tank vent near a roof vent?

Hit up a dollar store and buy some pinesol like ten bottles of it, as mentioned above, get a clear sewer line fitting and dump file rinse repeat until everything is out then dump a gallon or two of pinsol in and leave it for a while.

I do this a few times a season and try to drive with the cleaner in the tank. Downy scent Perls or what ever the are called are good to.

I dump about 10 bottles for the winter season.
2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Check the vents are clear and the traps hold water.

What is in the tank should have no impact on what you smell inside.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Get a clear fitting. Dump, fill with some water, dump, fill, repeat until it runs clean. You will likely be amazed at how much "stuff" is left in the tank with just a simple dump. I have to fill/dump several times to get it all out. And before all the backseat campers ask, yes, I am using plenty of water to start with after a dump and during usage.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Quit farting in the bedroom....lol
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Looks again. A plugged vent is my guess.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad