cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Atwood hot water heater wont work

Gottahaveit
Water heater has been perfect until tonight. We were on propane for a few weeks and then on electric for the past few. Worked perfectly fine this AM and just tried to wash some stuff and no hot water. Checked the breakers etc. When I tried on gas nothing and the light does not even light up saying there is a problem. It's late tonight but just trying to get some thoughts when morning comes. Has not given any indication of any problems until just now. Does not work on gas or electric at this point. Ergggg
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
10 REPLIES 10

Gottahaveit
Almost hate to admit what the actual problem was but it may help someone in the future. We had enough experienced folks with us so we now know how to fix any problem with a water heater. All the men finally thought it was the thermostat so we replaced it. Humm hot water tank was hot but no hot water in the rig. OKKKK guess what..somehow the bypass valve got knocked when flushing and that was the problem. Lesson learned by all of us. Now we know pretty much how to fix it when we really need to. The good part is it kept the guys busy for a few hours :S
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Suburban WH have the little electric switch outside and also the inside switch for 120 to it. Maybe they thought you have a Suburban.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Ride_S40T
Explorer
Explorer
Perfect timing of this thread. Not to hijack the thread but our 2019 TT water heater stopped working on electric (only).

Took it to dealership and they say "you need to have both switches on" for it to work on electric. Of course it will give hot water, the gas will take over when there's no shore power or the electric element isn't working.

Manual says we just need the electric on to heat the tank and that it will take 1 to 1 1/2 hours to heat the water. 2 hours into our trip last week, no hot water being on just electric.

Dometic manual only mentions using the electric switch to generate hot water...and then wait a long time.

Is the tech at the dealership correct or am I missing something?

Thanks for any insight you can share.
2021 Grand Design 268BH
2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500 SRW
Traveling K9s Diesel and Roger

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would start by checking the voltage on the brown wire to see if it has 12 volts. If so remove the thermal fuse and connect the brown wire and connect it to the tstat directly. If it works you know it was the thermal fuse. If it still will not light remove the multi pin plug at the control board and clean connection. If you do those things and let us know what you found you will get it fixed.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
No ac or dc, sounds like a control board problem ??

In a desperate situation, you can hot wire the gas valve, light it w/ a striker,
and set a timer for 30-45 minutes, then disconnect. Caution,...this bypasses every safety feature, (except the pressure relief valve) so DO AT YOUR OWN RISK !!
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
A guy came into our RV park a couple weeks ago, here in Florida, and his water in his 5th wheel would not stay lit. Found that it was on bypass, no water in the water heater.

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked your 12v fuses?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the fuse link goes or hte ECO it will fire the FAULT light

Is there any light at all of any kind? THe unit needs 12 volts to work and that is what lights lights
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
JusBud wrote:
Any luck?
Isn't there a fusible link on the heater?
I forget the exact name. It has the spade terminals and goes from the "stat" to the control board

yes, itโ€™s called a thermal cutoff. it connects between the brown wire and the TSTAT terminal. ours blew last year so i pulled it out until i could replace it and simply connected the brown wire directly to the TSTAT terminal.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

JusBud
Explorer
Explorer
Any luck?
Isn't there a fusible link on the heater?
I forget the exact name. It has the spade terminals and goes from the "stat" to the control board