cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

title vs bill of sale

roy67ss
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to get a definitive answer to a question that has been somewhat ambiguous for me. I have purchased an ATV in Arizona that came with the title for it. I am searching for a small trailer to carry it around. The issue I am finding is that the majority of these trailers comes with a bill of sale and plates but no actual title. If I decide to take both back to Alberta, do I need a title for the trailer as well? I expect that the ATV will be ok to take home but I am not sure if a trailer without title but with a BoS can be.

I would like to hear from anyone who has actual experience with this sort of thing.
Roy

2011 GMC 3500, Duramax, Allison
2008 HitchHiker LS 29.5 FKTG with most options
13 REPLIES 13

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
I don't think a discussion on which states require a title, and which don't, is going to help OP. He needs to know what he needs to import it into Alberta.

The suggestion to check with his equivalent of DMV is the right answer in my opinion.

Mike

That is the best answer so far! Here in Ontario we don't have titles for cars or RV's, just registrations, the OP's province may be different. A bill of sale will be needed though.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think a discussion on which states require a title, and which don't, is going to help OP. He needs to know what he needs to import it into Alberta.

The suggestion to check with his equivalent of DMV is the right answer in my opinion.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
I have two Arizona trailers (18'car trailer & 16' utility trailer), BOTH have titles, registration, license and plates. There is a weight limit at which the license is a one time pay for as long as you own the trailer. Both of my present trailers are this way. I had a 19,000 lbs fifth wheel toyhauler and it had to be licensed each year just like a motorhome, truck or auto.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
If the registration of the trailer if Class F, there is no title. ADOT will issue a plate and registration only. Class F trailers are non commercial upto 10,000# GVM.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Each state is different. Bill of sale is often used for tax purposes.
Title is used for DMV ownership purposes.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I tried to license a home made utility trailer in Arizona.

DMV told me that I had to take the trailer to a DMV location for an inspection and if it passed they would give me a VIN number and I assumed a title.

Check with the Arizona DMV before you exchange any money.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
mleekamp wrote:
midnightsadie is correct.

I once bought a small utility trailer that was from Kansas, and I live in IL. It was brought to IL but never licensed. In KS, no title was needed....in IL it was. So after an inch of paperwork, it has an Il title.

Point is -- every state is a bit different with regards to titles / bills of sale, etc.
Anything under 2k pounds doesn't need to be tagged in KS. You can purchase a tag but then you have to pay personal property tax and tag fee's every year.

Like others have said only where you plan on registering can give you a definite answer.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Tyler0215 wrote:
Call the local DMV. As long as it has a valid license plate in your home province your OK.
He can't get a valid license plate until he legally imports the trailer = hoops.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Call the local DMV. As long as it has a valid license plate in your home province your OK.

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
joebedford wrote:
In Ontario you would need the Bill of Sale for the tax (payable at the border) and the title for the registration. Alberta is probably similar.

Make sure you get one with a VIN and statement of clearance of all recalls from the manufacturer or it isn't admissible.

Not kidding!

X2
2010 Suncruiser

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
In Ontario you would need the Bill of Sale for the tax (payable at the border) and the title for the registration. Alberta is probably similar.

Make sure you get one with a VIN and statement of clearance of all recalls from the manufacturer or it isn't admissible.

Not kidding!

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie is correct.

I once bought a small utility trailer that was from Kansas, and I live in IL. It was brought to IL but never licensed. In KS, no title was needed....in IL it was. So after an inch of paperwork, it has an Il title.

Point is -- every state is a bit different with regards to titles / bills of sale, etc.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
for a true answer you need to talk to the dmv where your taking it to.each state has there own rules.