cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford cup holder

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Is it true that the cup holder portion of the engine cover will just lift up and come off? (2006 E450)
Proud father of a US Marine
10 REPLIES 10

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a 2005 version that had two useless shallow cup holders guaranteed not to hold anything other than a ceramic coffee mug without spilling on a turn, and I only drink iced tea. I've wanted to replace it for the past 10 years but never quite got around to doing it.

Yesterday, I took a trip thru a nearby junk yard, and saw quite a few Econoline vans so I took a look. One of them had the four cup holder version (not quite as nicely wood trimmed as Ron's) and I picked it up for $19.

After 10 minutes with the power washer, it now looks new, and we'll be road testing it tomorrow.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, good to know but like having the 4-cup holder option and the closing door storage at the bottom. Thanks for the above photos for comparison!

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
VA-Apraisr wrote:
Is the smaller one installed missing the 4th cupholder? I like the large/small choices in my 2003 unit, but don't like the difficulty with moving to the back.
We have this cup holder that Ford used through 2008. The 4 cups are the same size. As you can see, it does not get near the floor allowing for driver and passenger foot room to swing inward to get into the house. The top-middle triangular hole holds the removable ash tray cup-thingy that we use to hold change.

Here is the design from 2009 to today. It has two cup holders, but has nice top trays and also a second lower right-side cubbie. What looks like a smaller 3rd cup holder on the far left, I believe holds the removable ash tray.

As far as which design is better. I always thought the latest design would be ideal, but when on trips we use all 4 cup holders for two types of drinks for each of us. So maybe our older 4-cup holder is better for us.

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the smaller one installed missing the 4th cupholder? I like the large/small choices in my 2003 unit, but don't like the difficulty with moving to the back.

sullivanclan
Explorer
Explorer
I just changed mine out to the smaller unit that affords lots more room for your feet as you move from the front seats to the back. I bought mine on Ebay for $140, in great condition, and will now turn around and sell my larger one. There were at least two or three more on Ebay. One of the best upgrades I have made to keep the wife happy! (Just as Home Skillet showed in his photo)
2003 Ford 450 Jayco Greyhawk 25D
1986 Jeep Renegade
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon JK

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
camperdave wrote:
yeah, it just slides off vertically. No need to remove the doghouse. Here's a post I made about changing mine a little while ago.

What did you do to your Class C MH today???

Same thing I did on mine.
Makes access to the camper so much easier.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I put a 2009 center console in my 2000. Completely interchangeable, except the 2009 console had slightly thicker mounting tabs, so I had to back out the retaining screws in the doghouse a half turn.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, just feel below for the spring steel clip. Pull it away from the engine shroud while lifting and the cup holder comes right up and off.

And like has been shared, it seems to be "universal" being able to change styles of cup holders. I know my 2007 4 cup holder design is interchangeable with the current-day 2-cup / two lower compartment version.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
yeah, it just slides off vertically. No need to remove the doghouse. Here's a post I made about changing mine a little while ago.

What did you do to your Class C MH today???
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
The center console part will, yes. There are one or two latch lever spring things that must be pulled out away from the doghouse and then it slides up and off. Look for a little black metal tab thing sticking out (I think the bottom of the console unit, but it might be the top).

The storage console units are interchangeable across quite a few years, so if you find one in a junkyard with holes and compartments that you like better than yours it's a very simple job to upgrade. I should see about doing that sometime; the '98 that I have uses about the least handy arrangement they managed to come up with.