Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 3d printed water fill adaptor
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> 3d printed water fill adaptor

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/22 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know if you considered or implemented this but, the current design has four air holes 90 degrees from each other. When the tank fills water will come shooting out of those holes in every direction.

It may be a less aggressive and drier moment if you locate a single slot pointing in a downwards direction. Water will splash off the 90 degree elbow, if installed but it wouldn't be spraying all over whatever is next to the camper. The slot would need to be large enough to eliminate over pressurizing the tank.

Just a thought

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/22 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

I don't know if you considered or implemented this but, the current design has four air holes 90 degrees from each other. When the tank fills water will come shooting out of those holes in every direction.

It may be a less aggressive and drier moment if you locate a single slot pointing in a downwards direction. Water will splash off the 90 degree elbow, if installed but it wouldn't be spraying all over whatever is next to the camper. The slot would need to be large enough to eliminate over pressurizing the tank.

Just a thought

I have, my concern and something i am not sure of, is if the slots that lock it into the rv are always going to be in the same location, depending on how the inlet port was installed.

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/22 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I finally got some time, and did a test piece, and it went on first try which i was impressed with, going to tweak it a bit if i can, after i print another test piece, if that goes well, should be done soon.

you can see the difference in the ramps. this is why most people are struggling

[image]

K_and_I

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/22 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, the one on the right looks like the cap that screws on the filler.

K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

JimBollman

Lost State of Franklin

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/22 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have tried to talk myself into a 3D printer for a few years now but so far have resisted. I have enjoyed the design process and discussion.

I have used the same simple filler adapter for years it has lasted at least the last 4 campers. $6 on Amazon.
[image]

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/22 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

well its done, prolly one of the most annoying things I have designed in a while.

8 attempts on that ramp. one is printing now. Jim... I hate you... does it not blow out when its filled?

[image]

[image]

[image]

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/22 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey, looks good. Did you use a helical revolve for the ramp?

How did it print?

Now you can take a moment to reflect on all you learned

* This post was edited 02/27/22 08:21am by 2112 *

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/22 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

Hey, looks good. Did you use a helical revolve for the ramp?

How did it print?

Now you can take a moment to reflect on all you learned

No, its not a normal thread, and i struggle with threading still.

its an offset angle plane, using lines and 3 point arches.

I could not find a specific place to put the holes. googling showed this thing installed in about 50 different orientations, so it is what it is.

printed fine, supports are a bit terrible on petg, I have issues using tree supports, on my next print going to use standard supports to see if it will clean it up a bit better.

that said all the important sections printed perfect, and there is over a inch of rotation to lock it in, video below.

I have to add ribbing to the top, and some more fillets, but it seems fine. I will mail one out shortly to one gentlemen, see if there is any issues but should be good. hopefully there isn't much variance between fillers.

FOLKS YOU NEED TO SUPPORT YOUR HOSE'S USING THIS. I printed this literally at 100% strength for the ramp. You do risk breaking the water fill side, if extreme weight is placed on it. It was designed for a cap, not a hose. I take no responsibility if it breaks your water fill. I made the ramp 2x larger then the cap to spread out pressure, but there are still limits.

strongly recommended a swivel adapter of sort, so the hose doesn't cause a twisting action on the adapter.

My fill adapter on my rv is broken, this is why it moves, the fitting does not move at all once connected..
Video of it connecting

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

* This post was last edited 02/27/22 10:34am by LittleBill *   View edit history

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/22 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is the revised version, more grab points and rounded edges a bit.

this will be what is mailed out.

[image]

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/22 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimBollman wrote:

I have tried to talk myself into a 3D printer for a few years now but so far have resisted. I have enjoyed the design process and discussion.

I have used the same simple filler adapter for years it has lasted at least the last 4 campers. $6 on Amazon.
[image]

I don't even use that, just put the end of the garden hose into the hole. goes in about an inch, then gently turn on the hose till it is going pretty good. never had it blow out yet. but I do think I'll print one of these adapters .

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> 3d printed water fill adaptor
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.