Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 3d printed water fill adaptor
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> 3d printed water fill adaptor

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/22 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K_and_I wrote:

I wish I knew correct terminology, it would make a response much easier. I tried the one 2112 showed above, but it wouldn't work on my fill hatch without modification. My camper uses a hatch that looks like this one:
Clicky
Taking material off of the portion labeled in red didn't help. I finally chalked the locking portion of the hatch on the camper and put the adapter against it. It appeared that the locking flange on the adapter was too close to the cap of the adapter (sorry again for poor terminology). I took a brass wire brush in a dremel and removed some of the inside of the locking flange, and was able to get it to go on. I can't test it yet as it is too cold here to be dealing with water and hoses, but I think it's going to work.

I am designing one, i have it 90% complete. the issue, is the cap thread is ramped/pitches, the original design in this post, is not ramped, this is the issue. The problem right now, is I don't know how to make the ramp yet. Once I learn how to do it, it should work fine.

I will provide an update once I figure this out.

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/22 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LittleBill wrote:

The problem right now, is I don't know how to make the ramp yet. Once I learn how to do it, it should work fine.

I will provide an update once I figure this out.

Not knowing what tool you are using I can only reference Creo. In Creo you would need to set an angular offset datum plane. You do this by clicking a surface or plane parallel to your desired plane and select plane. Then hold ctrl and click a second surface or plane that is at a different angle. The new plane becomes visible at this point. Then you just define your angle and offset.

That's 90% worthless information if using a different tool, but you still need to create an angular offset plane in reference to something else.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/22 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just read up of Fusion 360. First create an offset plane then use that as a reference for an angle plane. Offset plane sets the reference offset, angle plane sets the angle, build on the angle plane.

Planes and axis are free so use them at will.

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/22 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

Just read up of Fusion 360. First create an offset plane then use that as a reference for an angle plane. Offset plane sets the reference offset, angle plane sets the angle, build on the angle plane.

Yea that doesn't work in Fusion. well not directly, but I tried this initially, and failed, but got it now. you need to create an offset plane, then create a construction line, then create the angle plane based on the construction line, which reference the offset plane.

wow. that said I was also very close using a draft as well.

getting there.

* This post was edited 02/21/22 07:14pm by LittleBill *

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/22 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

THIS may or may not help

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/22 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

THIS may or may not help

Fusion is weird sometimes, you can do an offset plane off an angle plane, but not the other way around, unless you create the construction line first. I'm good now. I like this better anyway then draft, as I can prolly mirror the other side.

how come your not designing this? also fyi the hose thread is also different then mine, hose thread doesn't have a taper and requires a washer, the original does not match hose thread at all.

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/22 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad you figured it out.

I've spent the last hour or so reading up on Fusion. Too much like Sketchup and TinkerCAD for me.

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/22 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LittleBill wrote:

how come your not designing this?
I have nothing to reference or measure. I do not own this type of water fill. Besides, you're having fun doing it

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/22 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

Glad you figured it out.

I've spent the last hour or so reading up on Fusion. Too much like Sketchup and TinkerCAD for me.

ThinkerCad is a joke compared to this, I spent less then 2 days on thinker before I moved on.

Fusion360 was recommended prolly 99% of the time on reddit for 3d print design, so that's what I went with. I never designed before, I also never heard of creo before either.

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/22 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Creo was known as ProE until about 6 years ago or so. I've been using it for about 20 years so it's old hat to me. I used AutoCAD prior to that.

It's worth a look. You can get a free student license. You would be a mentor. You just need to renew the license once a year.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> 3d printed water fill adaptor
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.