cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

04 Diesel Journey @ too few miles? Any experience with this?

CoachPotato
Explorer
Explorer
As some here may recall, we totaled our '04 Journey 32T, my favorite toy of all time, back in October of 2017. I purchased a 34' Bounder Diesel as the replacement and still miss my beloved Journey 32T.

Today, only 25 miles from home, I found an apparently perfect 2004 Journey 32T with all the equipment and options of the one we lost. But the issue is this:

According to a vehicle history printout from vehiclehistory.gov as late as Nov 2013 she had only the odometer miles driven from the factory to here in Kalifornistan (2657). In March of 2014 and May of 2014 she showed 10,621. Then in Nov 2017 she showed EXEMPT but didn't indicate mileage. She now has 40,358 miles. She was built in 2005 at the very latest. How very strange!

So... I am more afraid of NO miles than I am of too many. I understand engine, transmission, rear end, etc. seals and other such non-metal parts can dry out and cause big problems.

And... I might smell a rat in those dates and miles. Something doesn't smell right. Do any of my fellow RV Net readers have experiences with such issues? Please let me know of them. Thank you ever so much!

Edit to clarify:

The point here is that this coach sat from, at the latest, 2005 until 2013 - EIGHT YEARS - apparently without turning a wheel. It is not low miles that trouble me, it the NO miles that do.
7 REPLIES 7

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Itโ€™s the age that gives me grief.
I have a 05 Fleetwood Expedition (same as Bounder DP) bought new.

The plastic and rubber stuff like coolant reservoir, various hoses, cracking slides seals, power steering reservoir, ac seals, hot water heater hose are all going and itโ€™s one darn thing after another.

The drive train has been solid but itโ€™s all the plastic and rubber stuff.

Iโ€™m about ready to sell and buy a 2016-2018 used. Probably gas.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
CoachPotato wrote:
As some here may recall, we totaled our '04 Journey 32T, my favorite toy of all time, back in October of 2017. I purchased a 34' Bounder Diesel as the replacement and still miss my beloved Journey 32T.

Today, only 25 miles from home, I found an apparently perfect 2004 Journey 32T with all the equipment and options of the one we lost. But the issue is this:

According to a vehicle history printout from vehiclehistory.gov as late as Nov 2013 she had only the odometer miles driven from the factory to here in Kalifornistan (2657). In March of 2014 and May of 2014 she showed 10,621. Then in Nov 2017 she showed EXEMPT but didn't indicate mileage. She now has 40,358 miles. She was built in 2005 at the very latest. How very strange!

So... I am more afraid of NO miles than I am of too many. I understand engine, transmission, rear end, etc. seals and other such non-metal parts can dry out and cause big problems.

And... I might smell a rat in those dates and miles. Something doesn't smell right. Do any of my fellow RV Net readers have experiences with such issues? Please let me know of them. Thank you ever so much!

Edit to clarify:

The point here is that this coach sat from, at the latest, 2005 until 2013 - EIGHT YEARS - apparently without turning a wheel. It is not low miles that trouble me, it the NO miles that do.

Well Sir,
A couple of questions. You state early on that, you say it's a "2004" Journey, correct? Then, later you state that was BUILT in "2005". Not quite sure how that works. Normally, (and this is in general terms, a year model started at or around Oct. of the previous year and finishes up, in or around Sept of the year it's labeled. As in ours. It's labeled as an '04 but, the chassis has a build date of Oct of '03 and the coach has a build date of Dec of '03.

Now, this is not earth shattering news and or, it's not all that important but, just kind-a wondering how a coach built in '05 is labeled as an '04.

Now, as for the odd accumulation of miles, I'd not be too concerned. We see this quite often on the RV forums. There are some that would run for the hills when approaching a coach with such low miles. That's their problem. If you're truly interested, then get out and do a thorough inspection of it, top to bottom, front to back, side to side, and INSIDE. Check it out immensely. Take it for a test drive and get it good and warm to see how that engine acts as it approaches operating temp.

Watch the air system. Bleed it down to zero psi and, start it up, immediately set it to high idle, to around 1000 rpms and, time how long it takes to get to compressor cut-out pressure, usually around 120-125 psi or so. Also, while it's building pressure, watch the gauges to see at what pressure the LOW AIR warning buzzer stops. That's normally around 60-65 psi, plus or minus a lb. or two.

Then, once it's reached cutout, stop the engine but, DO NOT SET THE PARKING BRAKE. Pump the brakes continuously 'till the EMERGENCY/PARKING brake button automatically pops out, which in most cases is anywhere from 30-45 psi.

Once those tests are done, you can be at least somewhat assured that your air system is still functioning as it's supposed to. There's a whole lot more tests to run, like your leveling system. Make sure it does exactly what it's supposed when you push the appropriate buttons, in both leveling the coach and, prepping the coach for travel, AFTER it was leveled.

Check your battery charging system(s). Neither the '04 or '05 Winne diesels were equipped with any form of CHASSIS battery charging while on shore power. That's not to say a previous owner didn't alter and or add something to the chassis battery system to keep it charged while on shore power. But, BOTH sets of batteries are supposed to be charged while the engine is running so, do make sure that system is operating perfectly.

Anyway, good luck on your new endeavor if you choose to take this new Journey as your new fun toy.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would not worry about the miles. We have spent two summers in two separate coaches adding zero miles was we worked as camp hosts. The engine will certainly not be bothered. We have had heavy equipment sit for a year or more without being run.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Odometer could be inaccurate. I avoid vehicles with salvage titles, exempt status or anything else that is not regular.

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wouldn't say for sure the coach sat all those years, unless there is some sort of title action, why would the government be given mileage updates? I believe the mileage reporting requirement at time of sale / transfer isn't required once a vehicle is 10 years old, which accounts for the exempt statement.
Is this coach at a lot or PP ? Any supporting documents (repair invoices, maintenance records) anywhere?

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 my rv has 42k on it a diesel, 2 or 3k a year that rv should be like new, new belts hoses oils and filters and drive it. new tires

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I wouldn't be afraid of that rig at all.