cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a Ford Edge

lg212
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have any experience towing a Ford Edge? I know they are towable 4 wheels down, but how do they pull? Know of any problems with them?
Thank you
Leo & Danella, Katie the Shih-tzu and Bailey the Welch Corgi
34' Allegro Bay w/slide
ARKANSAS RAZORBACK ROAD HOGS
Hot Springs, AR
13 REPLIES 13

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
To tow our Edge, it required the 6F50 or 6F55 transmission. I know that requirement carried through to 2018, not sure about 2019 models. In 2016, that was a C or a J transmission code on the VIN sticker inside the door. Don't know if the code letter has changed.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

lincolnmatthews
Explorer
Explorer
I know this is regarding an Edge, but our friends pulled an 012 Ford Escape for a couple of years. He checked with a Ford dealer about towing and they said it was ok as long as he started every it so often and ran it thru the gears (which he did). But the trans still went out last summer in Spokane. I don't think it was an AWD but it was a V-6 but probably has the same trans a Ford Edge, (don't know for sure).

Anyway something to think about before pulling the Ford Edge. I'll stay with pulling my Rubicon! (Even though my Wife drives a Ford Escape!)

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Kyles wrote:
Luv the Edge and was disappointed to see the 2019 are not towable.

The 2019 Edge ST, which uses a 6 cylinder engine and AWD, can be flat towed. The 4 cylinder models canโ€™t be flat towed. Check the ownerโ€™s manual if you like, itโ€™s online.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Be sure to start the engine and run the tranny through the gears as specified or if specified. My tranny had to be replaced at 60K miles. Might have been neglect but seems odd.

Side note. I have had two brake issues with the master cylinder but it was under warranty the first time and turned out to be a recall issue. Just last year the same thing happened at 70K miles and the fixed it under "customer satisfaction" at no charge. I had not expected that. It was the same dealership just by coincidence.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

Bruce_Kyles
Explorer
Explorer
Towed a 2008 Edge for three years no issues. Been towing an 2011 Edge since brand new. They tow great with no issues except batteries. You will probably need a charge wire not go with. We tow with Blue ox and breaking system. Have total of 40,000 tow miles. Luv the Edge and was disappointed to see the 2019 are not towable.
2003 Dutchstar (reskinned/paint 2009)
2016 Ford F150

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Towing guide says my Edge is 4186 lb.
2016 Ford Edge Sport

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone weighed their Ford Edge?

My current toad is 4,000 lb and I'm fine pulling it but in case I decide to switch the Ford Edge would be on the list. Nice looking car.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Towing an Edge now. No issues. Make sure you get the correct transmission to tow 4 down. Ours is AWD. Requires a battery disconnect so installed one that disconnects when the umbilical cord is plugged in. Triggered by the charge line.
2016 Ford Edge Sport

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
We towed two different ones and were very pleased with each. But, like YC 1 said, we had a charging line installed. Our models did not require any disconnects.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Towing a 2014 since new and it's been a great toad. No issues.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Towing a 2012 since new. Probably towed it over 20K miles.

Ours is keyless with all the bells and whistles. It is battery hungry so a good charge line is a must for me. I have a separate charge line. The umbilical cord is just too light weight and unreliable for me. I had it fail one too many times.

You must be extremely careful when picking out the Edge you wish to tow. NOT ALL are towable four down or at all.

Ours is FWD with the large V6.

The Edge is a very quiet and responsive vehicle. It is a bit of a hot rod in street clothes.

The huge skylight is a waste of money for me and mine will not allow the addition of a roof rack which I sorely miss. But I digress.

Get the adaptive cruise control for sure. I wish the rv had it.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

stage
Explorer
Explorer
We just started pulling one a few months ago, a 2016. On this year you have to put it in neutral, push the stop button and disconnect the battery. We have always pulled a Jeep Wrangler and thought there would be a difference, but I have to say I can't honestly feel any, just like the Wrangler most of the time you can't tell it's back there.
2004 Four Winds Hurricane 29d
1997 Jeep Wrangler toad
2016 Ford Edge toad

RognBon
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2008 Edge that we have towed four wheels down for ten years with absolutely no issues. Tracks great behind our Dynasty. We just turn off all the electronics, put it in neutral, release the parking brake and turn the ignition key all the way back to off. Never had a problem with a dead battery either. Ours is all wheel drive.
RognBon
1997 Monaco Dynasty 40'
Cummins 8.3 325 HP
2008 Ford Edge Toad