cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Driving your RV alone

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
As I approach retirement, I wonder about the possibility of driving my rig to a campsite and have my sweetheart catch up later in the car. Or if I go far enough, she could fly to and from the location if it is near an airport.

Does anyone drive their rig alone?
There is something special about camping in an RV.
42 REPLIES 42

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I have been solo forever because I started my RV experience after my wife died. I wanted to take my/her dog along to Alaska.

First was the Fun Finder shortly replaced with the Arctic Fox TT for the Alaska trip. Never pulled a trailer. But I learned. Not a big thing after a while. The thing I learned was to trust my mirrors and get out and look while backing in. To this day I still get out and look. Even with the class A and now the class C. Well I did hit a tree that ran behind my first class C on its first trip.

To be solo the hardest thing is to predict where you are going to stop for the night. Or finding your way through cities you do not know. I am finding a GPS to be helpful in cities.

I normally take a break at noon and call ahead to find out if there is a sight open in the range of how far I want to go for the day. If not then I call till I find a spot open and get there.

Now days with the TV backup cameras. If it was not so much work for an old guy. I would go back to a TT. But nothing beats pulling in and just getting out of the drives seat and turning around with the feeling of being home for the night or more.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
My wife and I have been traveling like this since 2009. I was self-employed for many years before retiring, so vacation for me has always been at my discretion. She, however, worked for an employer who insisted she could not take more than two weeks off at a time, even though she's been there long enough to accumulated like 7 weeks annual leave each year.

So in 2009, we took US 2 clear across the Great Plains to Seattle to visit a friend. That burned up her two weeks, so she flew home, and I dragged the TT south to LA to visit our daughter and SIL, then back home.

Later I had a professional conference in Vegas, so dragged the TT out, stayed at The Oasis Resort, and when my conference ended, she flew out, and we spent her two weeks making a big circle around the Grand Canyon and taking in Bryce and Zion NPs while we were at it. She then flew home and I dragged the rig back by myself.

Most recently, I spent a week by myself taking the TT to Albuquerque for the Balloon Fiesta. She flew out to meet me, and we took in Taos, and the many towns on the road all the way back home together.

We've been married now for 50 years, working on 51 (I was a child bride) and she's retiring later this year. We're looking forward to more trips together, but she'll likely go with as well as return with.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
My girl still works part-time from home. We are together all the time, so I take a lot of short trips with the RV or the fishing boat, usually around 3 days. Sometimes she will drop by for dinner if the location is close or for a night. Recently I have done some trips not far from home. I invite friends to come up for dinner in the woods. I have the fire going and make dinner for them and they all really seem to enjoy it. It is fun to have company especially in the shoulder seasons with all of that darkness.

fairway2002
Explorer
Explorer
I would say at this time 75% of he time I drive myself. I do enjoy it. Then my wife fly's in.
There are plenty of people the can help you park.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
GizmosMom wrote:
Really? I drive our Class C with NO problems. I can back it into a spot. Drove our 21 foot Class B as a daily driver for 14 years all around Austin, TX.

Piece of cake!

In our case the DW is a pro at driving our 24' C, in a previous life she drove rented cube vans a LOT, heck, she takes into the grocery store and parks it in a normal space!

A couple of years back she got her 'own' M/H, a 32' A, that she takes out pretty regularly solo to dog shows, visiting friends and family or meeting me at an air show somewhere.

She says it's "mind over matter". If she doesn't mind, it doesn't matter!

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
JAC1982 wrote:
I'm the wife in this case, and for us, it's the opposite of some of these stories. I WANT to learn to drive with the 5er hooked up. Mainly because, what if we are out somewhere and something happens to him? I'd rather not have a crash course in learning when he's down for the count. I also get more vacation time than he does, so it would be nice to take off on my own for a trip a few days before he can go. But, so far no luck in him letting me try it out ๐Ÿ˜ž

You need to just tell him "we're doing this now. If you don't want to teach me, we'll find someone else, but I am going to learn to drive the combo."

If someone is willing to learn, there is no reason not to do so.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
mdcamping wrote:

I just take my time backing in. I mark out where I want my TT, if I have a sharp right angle I will back in steps, get out and recheck my blind side until I am straight and have good sight lines.

Sometimes, backing in feels like the same anticipation as a golfer lining up a putt on a sloped green - you have to visualize the "line" and steer along it using a little imagination.

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
One downside of traveling solo is the lack of a navigator, especially when driving through large unfamiliar cities. I find driving a MH and keeping an eye on all the signs to go where I want to is challenging. Certainly our GPS helps, but having an extra pair of eyes on the road helps.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
I have 1 or 2 trips a year where I will set up solo. The trips are local where my better half usually comes the next day because of work schedules.

I just take my time backing in. I mark out where I want my TT, if I have a sharp right angle I will back in steps, get out and recheck my blind side until I am straight and have good sight lines.

Excellent thread! :C

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have done it LOT for years. Since I'm retired, I typically leave home early on a Friday morning and the odd time on a Thursday to increase the chances of getting a better site. We are Thousand Trails members and have 3 CGs nearby that I often tow our TT to and DW comes down later in her car after she's off work. It's nice to beat the after work crowd that show up in the evening.

Never have problems of any kind but it is easier sometimes when DW is there to be a spotter. There's often fellow campers around that want to help you back in. Thing is, they often don't help and they don't know the correct hand signals and I sure don't want to smack into a pedestal or tree limb. Can be downright annoying sometimes. Only spotter I trust is DW.

Many tow TTs and drive RVs all over the country solo, big and small, including women with all types of RVs. While on the Oregon coast, we camped next to a lady in her 70s from New York in a HUGE MH. Pretty impressive for anyone at that age and by themselves.

Farthest I've been alone is about 300 miles (one way)and zero issues. That's when it's nice to have the dog riding shotgun with me. I've gotten some great smiles from drivers who pull up beside me at a stoplight and see the passenger, lol. If there's a lot of turns onto different roads and highways, I make a sketch of the route and with exit numbers and keep it in sight on the dash. Have a GPS also that helps.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I'm the wife in this case, and for us, it's the opposite of some of these stories. I WANT to learn to drive with the 5er hooked up. Mainly because, what if we are out somewhere and something happens to him? I'd rather not have a crash course in learning when he's down for the count. I also get more vacation time than he does, so it would be nice to take off on my own for a trip a few days before he can go. But, so far no luck in him letting me try it out ๐Ÿ˜ž
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
My point is simply why wouldn't it be an overwhelmingly "yes".

For me, any doubt comes from the occasional, "how's it look on the right" where I ask my GF for help at an intersection.

Also, as I get older, I notice 2 person's ability to see trouble ahead is way better than one.

If the comments in the forum were more supportive of these cases, I'd be listening, mostly in favor of safety.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Many people solo RV. It's not a big deal. If it makes sense to have your spouse drive out separately, then do it. No special thought required.

I really appreciate the knowledge of the users of this forum. I've had my trailer for 2 years and still felt it was wise to check in here on this issue. It seems to be overwhelmingly a "yes" that is is reasonable to go it alone.

My point is simply why wouldn't it be an overwhelmingly "yes". Of course it is overwhelmingly yes.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I did MANY solo trips - usually meeting up with a group of kayakers for a weekend of paddling. It's more fun to have a traveling companion to yak with - but driving solo is no big deal. And I'm not shy - if I'm backing into a tight location, I'll go ask someone to spot for me if I need it.
Deb
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!