cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Central WA to Phoenix

memilanuk
Explorer
Explorer
Normally I'd head on down thru the Tri-Cities, hop on I-84 east thru Pendleton, Boise, over to Twin Falls and then head south on 93 past Wells, NV and come out on I-15 north of Las Vegas, then down to Kingman, etc.

Winter driving conditions this weekend - and yes, I really need to travel Sunday, Monday, and be there by Tuesday afternoon - are making me consider alternate routes.

Option A: stay on I-84 past Twin Falls to Burley, then down past Tremonton, Salt Lake City and St. George to LV. Still in the middle of the crappy weather in eastern OR and ID, but I've driven this route a number of times over the past few years, though the weather has usually been less of an issue (cold, but no snow). Not really a fan of I-84E through Oregon after those trips - just not a fun section of road to drive on for me - but it's a known quantity.

Option B: Head west on I-84 to Portland, then I-5 down to Los Angeles and take I-10 back across to Phoenix. Really, really not enthused about driving through that many major metro areas pulling a trailer. I'd rather drive in snow/ice, frankly.

Option C: Head south from Biggs Junction to Bend, down thru Klamath Falls on 97 & 95, to Reno then over to Vegas.

Option ๐Ÿ˜ง Take 395 all the way down to Reno, then head over to Vegas.

The last two options are intriguing, but I have zero familiarity with that part of the country, much less those roads. Has anyone here traveled thru that part of the country around this time of year?
7 REPLIES 7

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
At the moment simply getting out of WA could be a challenge. Many central WA highways are closed due to wind and drifting snow.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've driven South pretty much every way there is. I think that I would do I-84 to I-15 then cut across at Hoover Dam. Hwy 93 is a little straighter, but it's lonely, cold, and windy out there. The Interstate might get lake effect snow around SLC, and the highway is pretty high in elevation--but Interstates usually have better plows and salt.
Safe travels to you.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I would take the I 84, the most direct route as they keep the interstates moving as much as possible due to the truckers. Stop by Les Schawb and pick up some chains If you don't use them, they will refund your money.

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
Option D- I only know 395 from Susanville to Reno, it isn't bad, but CA has the 55 MPH when towing law, so I=5 and 99 tend to be a pain.You can run 60 or so, but there are trucks that stick to 55 (or less), so lots of lane changes. Factor in the cars going by at 70-80 MPH and you can see why I avoid CA.
If you stay in NV, Reno to Vegas you take 95 which is a 2 lane state highway. Again, not all that bad, one you get south a bit weather shouldn't be an issue- but lots of small towns that you better slow down for.
South of Reno on 395 takes you over some passes that get snow, so weather may be a factor...

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cliff Mass has a discussion of the predicted snow this weekend. The pattern is complicated, but my guess is that if you can get past the Blues before the snow hits, the inland route will be relatively clear - cold and windy, but without much new accumulation.

There are lots of issues - how prepared are you, and other drivers, for snow? how about the DOT plows? What's the temperature, but also what's the source of moisture? Access to emergency services, or places to hunker down and wait.

Altitude is a known. For the eastern route the high points are the Blues and later on the ID/UT border. On 97, everything south of Bend is about 5000 ft. You are about that all the way to Reno. 395 south of Reno has some high passes, before dropping to the valley behind the Sierras.

memilanuk
Explorer
Explorer
Cool... any pros/cons to I-5 between Redding and Bakersfield, vs. Hwy 99 cutting thru Fresno? I've been told the speed limit for trailers in CA is 55 mph, so does the interstate provide much benefit?

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
I would do I-5 down to Bakersfield, over to Barstow, 40 to Kingman and Phoenix.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.